Running form (Read 952 times)

My husband and I were talking the other day about my running form and how I want to improve it to make running more enjoyable than it already is. He says that I look very stiff and uptight when I run and I want to relax more. I'm thinking of either going to a running clinic here in Albuquerque and/or trying the Chi Running method. Please send any thoughts my way. Have any of you been to a runing clinic? The advertisement says that they evaluate your gait and overall body mechanics and help you improve form. The clinic is run by physical therapists (one of them was my boss when I worked at the place they're held so I know she's legit). Chi Running............I just really don't know that much about the method. I have a copy of the DVD and have watched it. It makes sense but I'm just wanting to get thoughts/opinions on his method. Thanks! 8 Ball
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      You'll get lots of opinions ... my $0.02: just run. I am by no means fast, but I've become a fastER running by running more. I slowly upped my miles, and I became faster --- at all distances. IMO, you don't need to spend $$$ on having your gait analyzed ... use that money for something useful ... like new running gear Evil grin Seriously, just run, and you will become a better runner.
      2009: BQ?
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great question! I have exactly the same one. When I joined a group of runners, a coach looked at my friend's form and exclaimed over how great it was. Then she looked at me and said, "Well, it's really hard to change a runner's form all at the same time, so why don't you just keep running?" Sigh. In other words, I"m hopeless, lol. I KNOW I run funny, ski funny, skate funny... Real instruction would be great! Teresa
        Scout7

You could try a clinic. I've never been to one. Here's the thing: Changing your form is not an overnight thing. It's also no guarantee that your running will improve. I've met people who tried to do so and they developed new injuries. Changing your form to match someone else's is just a bad idea. Are there ways to do so? Sure. There are drills that you can perform. Drills Beyond that, I would be hesitant to take the word of anyone that your form is "wrong". You might be running with hunched shoulders, you might be running "tight". So what? The BEST way to improve form is to simply go out and run. Your running form is a product of your build and biomechanics. It's difficult to fight nature. Regarding Chi Running...... That's a WHOLE separate topic. The form stuff is debatable (namely the leaning forward). The other stuff isn't necessarily specific to Chi Running, it's common amongst other training methods (run easy, build mileage slowly).

To avoid being stiff and uptight: Drink less coffee. Drink more margaritas (or whatever your favorite drink is) Trying to change your natural gait will likely make you even more uptight.
            Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Maggie & Molly

To avoid being stiff and uptight: Drink less coffee. Drink more margaritas (or whatever your favorite drink is) Trying to change your natural gait will likely make you even more uptight.
              ditto

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Before paying for a running clinic or the Chi method, you may want to invest $14 in the book Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller. He goes into great detain about what good form is and offers numerous exercises and drills to help you achieve it. I spent a summer with the book and it made the best overall improvement in my running, increasing my average pace and reducing the number of injuries I experienced. Tom
                UpNorth

I changed over to a forefoot running style (similar to chi) about a year ago. It was a difficult transition and took many months of a concerted effort but I'm glad I did it. I was suffering from chronic injuries (PF and ITBS) and those have disappeared. However, if you're not suffering from that kind of issue, and it sounds like you aren't, I wouldn't bother changing your gait. Edit: Figbash that book looks great! Thanks
                  chrimbler

I changed over to a forefoot running style (similar to chi) about a year ago. It was a difficult transition and took many months of a concerted effort but I'm glad I did it. I was suffering from chronic injuries (PF and ITBS) and those have disappeared. However, if you're not suffering from that kind of issue, and it sounds like you aren't, I wouldn't bother changing your gait. Edit: Figbash that book looks great! Thanks
                    Beat me to it No I'll ditto this thought, if your form is causing you no injuries then it must be the correct one for you. I read the Chi running and Pose running books and do you know where it got me?...shin splints, so now I just run like I used to and it feels good...so save your money Smile
                    Run like you stole it!
                      Thanks everyone. It sounds like the general consensus is to just run more and not worry too much about it and I"m down with that. It's a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll save the money for some new running gear (as someone suggested) instead.
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                        turboterie1, I glanced at your log and noticed that you ran your first marathon with essentially zero base. That is incredibly hard on your body and you may want to try establishing a solid base and work through a training program before your next one. You would see some major improvement in your performance and in your recovery. Good job surviving your first. How did the stairs feel the next day? Tom
                          As you run a lot, your body naturally seems to seek the most (or I should probably say, "a more") economical form. As I started working with this young lady about a year and a half ago, she was a sprinter. She ran tip-toe and I could see her Center of Gravity going up and down. She joined our Beginning Women's Jogging Class where we jogged about 20~30 minutes. I got her out and she started running 1:30~2:00. I could literally see her form shift, her COG became much more smooth and she now lands more mid-foot. You can achieve more economical running form by just running a lot but to a certain point. I believe in working on form by doing drills. Strength training goes a long way in correcting form. Most of tense running form comes from weak muscles--particularly actually legs. You see people tensing up their shoulders, clinching their fist... This is actually coming from weak leg strength. They are trying to "bull-through" their leg motion by swinging their arms. Of course, most likely, their arms are not that strong either; hense over-working their upper body. (I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a sexist) Women tend to run more tense in their upper body simply because they don't have as much upper body strength. I've seen a thread somewhere (old almost-dead CR threads???) about flexibility and running economy--it says something about you can be too flexible. Well, the thing is; in terms of running and flexibility, what matter is not necessarily how flexible you are; but how toned your muscles are. Your ability to bring your leg (thigh) all the way to your chest (flexibility) has nothing to do with your ability to bring your knees up in running--it's a matter of strength. It is a matter of passive flexibility vs. active flexibility. If you can't bring your knees, it's more likely that you tense up your upper body. This is quite apparent when you watch 400m race--those runners start to swing their arms all over the place, shoulders tight, clinching their fists... The only thing that's not working is their knee lift. The one who can continue to bring their knees up will maintain their upper body relaxation and most likely wins the race. Some form of hill training would work best to strengthen your quads and consequently help your relaxed running form. When doing hill exercise, don't look at this as sprint up the hill as fast as you can. This is a form of resistance work. Find a hill that you can comfortably maintain good running posture (start with something like 50~100m), steep enough that you feel the Achilles tendon being stretched. Start going up the hill with exaggerated running form; NOT fast, but hard. If anything, your running speed will DECREASE by maintaining effort. Concentrate on good knee lift; straight arm swing (not side way) and good posture (don't look down; look UP). Do as much as you think you can comfortably manage--don't overdo it. You will feel the effort the following day(s) so don't rush it. Relaxation is the key to good running. The more relaxed your upper body is; the better. I watched this sprint drill conducted by coach John Smith, one of the best sprinting coaches in the world (coach of Maurice Greene). It's called Pizza Delivery Drill. You do some sort of high knee-swing down type of exercise with your legs but the important thing is the upper body. He has his runners bring their arms straight up in the front as they do this drill. He says, "Now you have a pizza in your hands, hot and greasy and lots of topping on it. You want to hold it gently and straight forward. If you start to swing it sideways, cheese and all the topping will be falling off." At University of Oregon, coach Dellinger used to have his runners (including marathon guys) do a drill called "Zombie". Same concept. They would do a high knee drill with their arms sticking straight forward at the shoulder level with hands (wrists) completely relaxed and flapping. The worst thing you can do for relaxation perhaps in hopes to strengthen your upper body is to hold weights in hands. This would invariably tighten up your fists and shoulders. So don't! As for leg movement, I believe the best way to move your legs is with the image of drawing a circle with your leg. Now, technically, you don't really draw a circle with your leg (can't!); but you get the image--you bring your knee up; then, instead of swinging your lower leg (below your knee) up front to land on your heel, get the image of dropping your lower leg (foot) directly under your knee. This would enhanse "mid-foot landing" as well. As your foot takes off (after the support phase), try to bring your foot up high to creat shorter lever (bringing your foot up close to your butt). Now, at slower speed, you will NOT be running with high knee or high kick-up; but by practicing this way, you'll get the idea of more economical running form and, at the same time, strengthen necessary muscles to move your legs along this image. I like to see beginners to spend at least once every other week, if not once a week, to do some form work. This could actually be a lot of fun (I just located this indoor soccer field which is open to public. I'm planinng on bringing my girl there once a week to do some drills. It could be a lot of fun to strip down to shorts and T-shirts in the middle of MN winter and do different exercises--not just plodding along through 5 degree F condition day after day after day!). I'd much rather see them do this instead of some 800m repeats. I see "beginners" do several repeats of 800m at, say, 10-minute-mile pace; which could be quite a bit faster than their marathon pace but nevertheless not to be classified as "speed" training. Yet, it is a tough workout. Invariably what happens is they tense up even more. They clinch their fists, shoulders up high and swinging side to side, gritting their teeth... No way to run. I'd much rather see them go on a track, if they have an access, and, after properly warmed-up, start picking up speed at the middle part of a corner (150m to the finish line) and go through 100 with nice and easy, relaxed form but FAST. Just get up on their toes, concentrating on good posture and good arm swing and good knee lift... Imagine yourself being an arrow, going straight FAST. Well, it may not be that fast if you time yourself; but you must feel fast. You've got to feel good and fast. If 100 is too far, do it 50. At first, do 2 or 3 times with the rest of the track as recovery jog (go slow!). As you get used to this, do a few more. The thing is; in most cases (not all), a bad form is simply lack of muscle strength. First time you get up on your toes, next day, your calves get sore. Don't over-do it; but be persistant about it. After awhile, your calves get stronger and get used to it. Now you can get up on your toes with no problem. Now, you don't run a marathon on your toes (unless you're Bill Rodgers!); but this would teach you good knee lift and good posture. Yes, running a lot will make your form somewhat more economical; but don't think simply "practice makes perfect". It's actually "perfect practice makes perfect." You can repeat some technique wrongly over and over and over; all you're doing is to teach your body a bad habbit. Another thing I'd recommend is to go on some cross country running. Don't just run on flat road all the time. Go on a golf course or some muddy undulating trail or something. Don't worry about how fast or how many miles you're running. Just go out and ENJOY the experience. Run up the hill, stride down fast, jog around if tired, jump over the tree trunk, etc... This really teaches you to run properly. I started downhill skiing when I was 29. I can ski fine now but my wife, who's been skiing since she was 4, always tells me that it would pay to joing a ski school to learn a proper technique. I never have. But, if you really think your form is not quite right, it may pay to spend some $$$ to take a course. Now, be careful what kind of course that is--if you can fine some local non-profit running group (like we have MDRA=Minnesota Distance Running Association), that seems to work well. I'd question some commercial group--I'd check qualification of the instructor. My wife's friend went to some fitness club lab and had her VO2Max checked. She spent some $100+ to do so. She sent my wife an e-mail and said her VO2Max was 162. I raised a red flag and asked some question. It turned out she only walked on treadmill and got her "recommended" target HR (how they did it, I'm still not quite sure). In fact, they recommended her to do more running at HR 162 (which I think is a bit too high) to burn more fat. She's a 3:20 marathon runner. I told her that I have a format that I can calculate her VO2Max in 5-minutes and I could have done it for $50! ;o) Learning a proper running form is actually extremely important. It would help elinimate injury possibilities if done correctly. I'm not quite familiar with Chi Running and but I've heard a lot about this and Pose method. I think any of those would be a good resource. Oh, speaking of that, thanks, Figbash, for mentioning "Programmed to Run". I've meant to get that book and have forgotten about it. I saw your post yesterday and I placed an order myself. So thanks!
                          evtish

I consider myself a beginning runner in the fact that I've never been taught or coached how to run, I always just did it. Now that I started running regularly, and got injured in less than 2 months, I'm concentrating exclusively on form and trying to learn what exactly is good running form. IMHO, I think a running clinic would help you, especially since you said your husband noticed that you look stiff when you run. It may help prevent an injury in the future. Or you could get one of the recommended books and practice form and have your husband videotape you running to see how your form is improving. Best of luck.
                            finney

Resident pinniped

Oh my god...it's like you just got up one day and ran a marathon. I'm surprised you even finished. I don't mean that in a negative way, I mean you must have 1) some major potential that you haven't even begun to tap into yet and 2) some serious determination. However, I do agree that if you're going to attempt another one, you NEED to have a better base and train for it. You got lucky this time. It probably won't happen again. That aside, as far as running form, the only suggestions I can offer are as you've already decided, skip the clinic. Unless you're doing high milage, or running for performance or competititively, that's a waste of time and money. At a beginning or intermediate stage, you don't need that kind of intensive work. The thing I see most people do when they run, especially as they get tired, is lean forward and/or hunch their shoulders. Doing core work will help with this, as will strengthening your shoulders and upper back. Doing some weight training is a good way to fix this issue. This is especially bad because it will just make you more fatigued...you can't inflate your lungs fully in that position. One form foible that I'm guilty of and working on is not moving my arms enough. It really DOES help propell you forward and keep an even stride going, and does wonders when you're tired at the end of a run. You also want to keep your shoulders aligned with your hips and your back pretty straight. Don't run like you're at attention, but do run in a "confident" posture while still staying relaxed.
                              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Another suggestion, though it may have to wait until spring: spend some time running barefoot. It's much, much easier to find your natural form when you have proper feedback from your feet. The ideal place to do this is on a smooth but hard surface, like a bike path. Basically anywhere that would also be good for roller-blading. You want smooth because your feet will be tender from lack of use, and hard because it will allow you to feel the difference between a gentle form and a jarring one. And obviously, start really slow and easy.
                                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.