OBX Marathon (Read 407 times)

I'm going to try the OBX this year for the first time. The course just sounds so cool that I have to check it out. The logistics of the race are really confusing me. I am staying in Manteo and plan on taking the shuttle to the start from the Manteo High School. Does anybody have any advice on how to make this process go smoothly? It sounds like there is only one shuttle that goes from the school at 5:45. What if there are too many people at the school? Also the website talks about the bridge into Manteo being closed after 7:00 and this will keep the friends and families from getting to the after race party. But there is a comment that the alternate route will add 15 minutes to the drive. Looking at some maps it looks like you would have to drive about 6 HOURS to talk an alternate route. What in the world are they talking about?
    wanderingoutlaw

I can't help with the shuttle info. I agree that the bridge info can sound confusing. The bridge to be closed is one of the two bridges from the mainland (from the west); the bridge which the marathon course runs over will be open to traffic. So the 15 minute delay is for those persons traveling from the mainland; the traffic from Whalebone and Nags Head will be delayed some due to the marathon taking over 1 or 2 lanes of traffic. Enjoy the marathon. Maybe I'll see you there.

John