Lengthy Piriformis Syndrome (Read 64 times)

mvfille

Hi there!

I wanted to throw this out there in case anyone has ever experienced something similar and found a solution.  I've run for 20 years without experiencing issues in this area, but last Spring (2020), I ran two marathons within 6 weeks of each other and began having piriformis and sciatic pain after.  I spent the next few months not running and cross training instead, and while the time off made the pain go away, it came back as soon as I tried running again.  I've had three separate steroid injections which have all been 100% effective for about 12-15 weeks.  I've seen at least 3 different physical therapists as well as a clinic that focuses on gait retraining.  I've tried dry needling and Airrosti.  I'm doing core work, single leg squats, deadlifts, clams, all the things to strengthen that I'm being told to do.  As my most recent injection is wearing off and the pain is coming back, I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree.  I know the next conversation with the ortho will be his recommendation to operate, but I've watched those videos on youtube and it's terrifying.

If it's helpful to know, I'm 41, female, and generally run between 25-40 miles a week depending on where I am in training.  I would love to know if there's something that I'm missing, or if someone has found a magic treatment that doesn't involve going under the knife or giving up my sport.

Thanks!

Megan

Feeling the growl again

I fought it on and off for several years.  I'm not sure what the solution was.  I do believe strength training and working to even out my gait did help.  There were times I had to more or less stop running for up to 6 months.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mvfille

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in foot by continuing to run.  Perhaps the solution is along the lines of getting another steroid injection to immediately stop the spasm, them take the next 8-10 weeks not running and instead, aquajogging, yoga and spin along with the PT I'm doing now to strengthen.  Like all runners, I hate when I can't run.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in foot by continuing to run.  Perhaps the solution is along the lines of getting another steroid injection to immediately stop the spasm, them take the next 8-10 weeks not running and instead, aquajogging, yoga and spin along with the PT I'm doing now to strengthen.  Like all runners, I hate when I can't run.

Mine was all over the place.  The first fix I found was to go out and literally do a bunch of hard sprints.  It was like the nerve was adhering to the muscle and causing a flare-up, and the springing would bust it loose.  Hurt like hell, but in 12 hours the pain would be completely resolved and I'd be OK for weeks/months until the next flare-up.

Eventually that didn't work anymore and I went to a sports chiro.  He pointed out I had a massive strength imbalance and my right side was compensating for a weak left, messing up my gate and causing the piriformis issues on the right.  I did a bunch of strength and gait work and it resolved.

Now I've got issues on the front of that leg...hip flexor is best I can guess...that have effectively made it impossible to train any volume in a sustained manner for most of the past 5 years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My husband is 67 and struggling with this (he looks like he's about 55, he stays in such good shape).  He runs three miles or so every day.  I've told him he should probably take a break from running, but he doesn't want to.

He has found acupuncture to be helpful, but the effects don't last too long, ugh.  I really feel for him.  PT didn't do much for him.  He sits on two lacrosse balls taped together when he has to drive for any distance, and that provides a little relief.  Massage is another tool that works, but again not for very long.

Luciplay

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything will be better soon.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I had piriformis and sciatica issues and they turned out to be related to a bulging lumbar disc.  I got some treatment for the disc, and focused a lot on posture and getting proper lumbar support whenever sitting (couches are the worst, it turns out), and since then I've had very little recurrence.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28