Beginner seeking some quick advice. (Read 90 times)

ThomasJHill

I have been running for close to six months now, just over 700 km. I do 45 minute steady runs three times a week, and a hour longer run over the weekend. That nets me 3 hours and 15 minutes of running a week. My question is this. My work routine is getting shuffled around, and running 30 minutes a day would fit much better into my schedule. I know it's a difference of only 15-30 minutes on any given run, but trust me, in my world it means all the difference. My new running schedule would mean I'd be racking up 3 hours and 30 minutes a week, and I might be tempted to keep my one longer run over the weekends. My question is wether this will negatively impact my fitness and weight control, given that I keep my pace the same as it is now? Thanks in advance for your help.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Runs of only 30 minutes can be very effective for general health, however, you will be spending a larger percentage of your run in warm up and less time in a more effective "training" zone than you would be for a longer 45 minute run. The longer run on the weekend is going to provide great benefits to health and endurance so do your best to keep it. Also, a second longish run is advisable as well.

I do not think that running shorter but more days will negatively effect you. In fact, running more days but shorter workouts may be more beneficial as you reap health benefits throughout the day from getting your heart rate moving. But for endurance, weight loss, and total health, try to slowly get that long weekend run up to 90 minutes. If able, add a second midweek run of say 60 minutes then do your 30 minutes on the other days. Likely your fitness will improve on that schedule over what it is now.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Joann Y

I have been running for close to six months now, just over 700 km. I do 45 minute steady runs three times a week, and a hour longer run over the weekend. That nets me 3 hours and 15 minutes of running a week. My question is this. My work routine is getting shuffled around, and running 30 minutes a day would fit much better into my schedule. I know it's a difference of only 15-30 minutes on any given run, but trust me, in my world it means all the difference. My new running schedule would mean I'd be racking up 3 hours and 30 minutes a week, and I might be tempted to keep my one longer run over the weekends. My question is wether this will negatively impact my fitness and weight control, given that I keep my pace the same as it is now? Thanks in advance for your help.

Whatever works for you and keeps you consistent. Do that. 30 minutes a day for now is excellent, esp with the long run. When you find the time and desire, do more.

You get benefits from running slow and easy.

You get benefits from running more often.  Every day is ideal.

You get benefits from running longer.

You get benefits from running more hours/miles per week.

You get benefits from mixing longer and shorter runs.

It's all good.  Go with what you like, and save the structured running for after you get the basic weight and fitness that you want.  Try a race or few in there somewhere.  Then, if you really want to get your best possible race time, start thinking about specific workouts.