Running when air quality is bad?? (Read 1486 times)

run4fun8910

Okay so last night the air was really bad outside. We had what we call a red quality day which the city asks that people who do not need to drive not to and that if you do not need to be outside. Don't. So I debated if I would run this morning. The air looked horrible last night so I did not know what to do. Well this morning came and I went for a run at 4:50 am. It was lightly snowing so I thought that my worries were over since the snow must have cleaned the air. Apprantly I was wrong. It was not a big enough storm and today is a Red quality day. That brings me to my questions? Does anyone know long term affects when running during an inversion? If the bad air days continue should I find a treadmill and run inside(hate those) or do the benefits of running outway the risks of the bad air? I was excited that I did my 30 minute run this morning especially since it was so hard to get out of bed. But am now worrying that with the inversion and the bad air that maybe I should not have? Thanks for the help.
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    JakeKnight

Out of curiosity, where do you live exactly?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

run4fun8910

Salt Lake City, Ut. the city sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. Then when we get these high pressures we get a inversion. Then because we all like to drive big SUV's with only 1 person in it all that lovely exhaust gets trapped. You should see the air right now. Ugly. Undecided
          I was out running in the *%$# myself. I was thinking why not enjoy a cigar with my run?

I recommend breathing in through your nose rather than your mouth - that will filter the air a (very little) bit rather than providing it direct access to your lungs.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JakeKnight

Salt Lake City, Ut. the city sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. Then when we get these high pressures we get a inversion. Then because we all like to drive big SUV's with only 1 person in it all that lovely exhaust gets trapped. You should see the air right now. Ugly. Undecided
              Beautiful place. Only been once. But I can see how all those pretty mountains could trap some smog. The day I was there it was crystal clear. Guess I got lucky. If you've got a local running club, this might be a great question to ask them: they must deal with this once in a while.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

run4fun8910

thats a good idea gorilla. I know of two. I have not joined yet as their runs are beyond me. Next year though. I breath throug my nose when I run. for the most part anyway. Fortunately for todays run the air should be clear. we got a storm last night that was to have cleaned air.
                run4fun8910

Kenny. That picture of you running. Is that the Jordan River Parkway? I love running on it. I think it is one of the greatest things to happen to the Salt Lake Valley.

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

Grew up in Utah....that inversion business no fun. I remember a 30 day or so stretch with no sun....it sucked. We'd drive up to Park City just to see the sun. Good Luck...hope it clears out soon! ~Jen
                    Jennifer
                      Kenny. That picture of you running. Is that the Jordan River Parkway? I love running on it. I think it is one of the greatest things to happen to the Salt Lake Valley.
                      Run4fun, No that picture was taken at wheeler farm. I do however run on the Jordan River Parkway all the time. It is my favorite place to run, especially long runs. Nice to know theres a few RA's in Salt Lake. Kenny
                      run4fun8910

Well when you pass me some day just give me a nod. :-) I will be the slow guy running. Big grin
                        Sulli42

I too am a Salt Lake City Smog Sucker, it seems to be particularly brutal this past month. Here are a couple of links to some informative articles, unfortunately they don't have anything positive to say about running in this crud. I've been known to take a drive to Park City on the weekends for my long runs when the air is particularly bad in the valley. On the brighter side, it looks like the air quality going to be better for the next couple of days. See you on the Parkway. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/pollution.shtml http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/12/news/air.php