15K workout ideas? (Read 616 times)

rockintrax

Hey- I'm training for a 15K that is going to be in about 2 1/2 months. I"m doing about 30-35 miles a week and am trying to find some sort of workouts that would be good to help improve my pacing (I don't want to say speed, as I don't want sprint workouts). I do tempo runs usually once a week and am just looking for some general ideas.... Thanks.
    Steph
    protoplasm72

Hey- I'm training for a 15K that is going to be in about 2 1/2 months. I"m doing about 30-35 miles a week and am trying to find some sort of workouts that would be good to help improve my pacing (I don't want to say speed, as I don't want sprint workouts). I do tempo runs usually once a week and am just looking for some general ideas.... Thanks.
      Run more miles. That is the best way to improve your pace. There is no magic workout that will increase your pace. I'd say find a HM training program and follow that but then run your 15k instead.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

allout88

yeah i would say up the mileage to at least 50 a week. Workouts, i would say some 6-8 mile tempo runs and fartleks would be great. You could try 3x5k for a workout too, but that just sounds painful.

Hawt and sexy

30 to 35 mpw? You don't need better workouts, just run more. It's not that complicated. Most of your training should be at a very easy pace. The rest should be saved for peak work and even then you don't need a ton of speedwork. Adding striders a few times a week will keep you in touch with your speed, but to get familiar with the pacing aspect of the sport, all you can do is run a ton of aerobic miles.

I'm touching your pants.

rockintrax

I know I need more miles guys Wink - it's a work in progress. I had surgery in my shoulder months back and was stuck biking for hours on end - don't want to be injured by adding on miles too fast, but I have a whole month and a half to pull up my mileage and then I'll still be able to maintain for a month before actually having this race - at least that's the plan. I'm looking for some sort of workouts so that 2 days a week I can do something different than just going out on my regular running routes. If I do workouts usually I can see paces and times (and I like to see the numbers so that I can see if I'm improving or just hanging at a comfortable pace). I mean seriously who doesn't like to check their numbers every 2-3 weeks to see if their improving?
            Steph
              6 x 1000m @ 10k pace with a 200m jog. 5 x 1200m @ 10k pace with 200m jog. 4 x mile @ 10k pace withh 200m jog. 3 x 2000m @...well you get the idea.

Runners run

The more I run the more I learn willamona is right!

SMART Approach

I like everyone's advice. If coming back from an injury, I would be reluctant to tell you to start cranking in some speedwork suddenly without a bit of progress which there is time for. I have run 15K quite well on 20 miles per week and 10K training will probably help you a bit more than half marathon training. Obviously, more miles makes you stronger and will improve your times. Basically, a 15K is run at your lactate threshold. So, I think for you to train smart and conservative, it would be just fine to gradually build on adding some race simulation paces. One day per week do 2 X 1 mile working up to 4-5 X1 mile at your threshold pace (fast tempo pace) as you get closer to race day. Start with 2 min rests between reps and lower that to 1 min as race approaches. This will give you race simulation pace while at the same time not a killer/exhausting pace. Generally, this threshold pace is around 30-35 seconds slower than your current 5K race pace (do you know this) or at a pace that is very challenging but should not feel like a race. You shouldn't push hard to keep pace on these. Many of us push our tempo pace too hard. It should just feel like a strong effort. As Willamoma says striders are great. Do these after this tempo work out and maybe one other day per week starting with 4 X 100M at a quick pace and working to 8 toward race day. On that second day per week do your striders throughout your whole work out. Maybe every 2-4 minutes do one for 30 seconds. It breaks up your run but still adds some neuromuscular stimulus to your legs and body. I personally feel this plan would be a nice transition and should be fairly safe for you to implement if you are smart about it knowing you are coming off an injury. Me personally coming off 8 months of tendonitis, I am not taking any chances. I am now back up to 20-23 miles per week (really can't do much more because of a lifelong toe issue) and am doing a half marathon in 2 weeks and a couple 10Ks within 6 weeks. I have been just doing strong aerobic runs (around 73-78% of my max HR). For those that follow MAF, this is basically what I have been doing. I have implemented striders a couple days per week and have done a couple 5ks. I also finish my long runs at a faster pace over last mile or two. This is the only speed work I have done. I know my times will be lower than last year but hey, I am running pain free. If I make it through spring racing just fine, I may start adding some tempo and critical velocity intervals in small quantities to peak for Fall.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com