Running on HS Track- lane distances varies (Read 1240 times)

De-slacking in progress

Due to my hip problem, I thought running a on level surface for awhile would help verses running on my country slanted roads. Our local High School track has various rules of use posted ( very basic ones) but the general public is prohibited from using Lanes 1-3 since the inside lane is 400 meters, i was curious to find out how much further the outer lanes were as I've never ran on a track. Found this great website- you enter some basic info- it spits out the number- i.e want to run 5 miles- how many laps is that; I ran X amount of laps- how far was that in Lane #7. If i ran Lane #1 in 2:00 what would had been my time in Lane #8..... you get the idea. Without this website it would be hard to log the miles into RA Well- at least I found it helpful anyway: http://www.philsport.com/narf/atrack.htm#A

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

KvnJns

Boy I love my Garmin. I don' have to try to do this kind of math, I just look down at my forerunner and I know how far I have gone. Sorry, I can't help with your question. But I can say that I love my Garmin and would recommend one to anyone.

Kevin

De-slacking in progress

Boy I love my Garmin. I don' have to try to do this kind of math, I just look down at my forerunner and I know how far I have gone.
        DW- who is running now, says i can buy a Garmin "someday" but not now. More month than money right now Cry

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

I just look down at my forerunner and I know how far I have gone.
          Do you really know for sure? Have you used it on a track?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Menace to Sobriety

There should be staggered marks in each lane, usually triangles. I think the difference in distance between these marks is the difference for each lane. Its been a while, but seems like I've paced this off to be about 7 yards. MTA: I've used a GPS on the track and found it to be off slightly. I think the amount of curvature over a relatively small area "fools" it a little, especially if you have the smoothing factor turned up.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

http://www.philsport.com/narf/atrack.htm#A
              I don't run on a track, but the info is interesting. I would never have thought the discrepency was so large between lanes.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

Boy I love my Garmin. I don' have to try to do this kind of math, I just look down at my forerunner and I know how far I have gone. Sorry, I can't help with your question. But I can say that I love my Garmin and would recommend one to anyone.
                Garmins don't do well on tracks at all, they almost always measure long. Significantly long. I think Garmin "squares off" the corners. I use this site because I also am prohibited from using lanes 1-4 and it is too dark usually to see any of the other markers and since i never ran track remembering what is for the 400 vs. 800 etc. I find the site useful when I want to hit specific interval paces, I go in ahead of time and know Lane 7 is X to be equal to 3:45 800 in lane 1 Never mind, went to put in the link and it is the same one as slaptears.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

obsessor

Garmins don't do well on tracks at all, they almost always measure long. Significantly long. I think Garmin "squares off" the corners. I use this site because I also am prohibited from using lanes 1-4 and it is too dark usually to see any of the other markers and since i never ran track remembering what is for the 400 vs. 800 etc. I find the site useful when I want to hit specific interval paces, I go in ahead of time and know Lane 7 is X to be equal to 3:45 800 in lane 1 Never mind, went to put in the link and it is the same one as slaptears.
                  Yes. Not very accurate with courses that have many sharp corners, especially. Why? It records sample points, and strings them together. Software in the unit can then try to correct for this. Think - if it took points, and strung them together, you would always get an artificially long distance. So they make an algorithm to correct for this. It is an estimate. And then your wrist is gesticulating around all the time, and the data points can be a ziggy zaggy line, making it artificially long. Try one person running 100 laps, same lane, then another person, and you will see it is not the same. But the track is the same. And on different days - not the same. If you want an accurate distance ... a jones counter on a bike. I got all nuts with this stuff before I grew some sense and learned it was the effort and time that count more than anything. I also spraypainted the roads around where I live every 100m with a steel tape. Just so I know - you know, and the track is occupied or snowcovered or something.

De-slacking in progress

There should be staggered marks in each lane, usually triangles. I think the difference in distance between these marks is the difference for each lane. Its been a while, but seems like I've paced this off to be about 7 yards. MTA: I've used a GPS on the track and found it to be off slightly. I think the amount of curvature over a relatively small area "fools" it a little, especially if you have the smoothing factor turned up.
                    Duh- yes, I guess I noticed all those triangles- I didn't know what they were for. But there is hundred of different markings on this new rubberized track. Guess I need to google (anyone know of a good web site that explains the markings? ) what each one means. DW and I usually run 5K distance on them. Only have been on the track twice. I am still road running with the hills and slants and everything, but the one or two runs per week on the track does give my aging body a much need break. Plus I can listen to my ZUNE while running. It's the only time I run with music. Track running is almost as boring as running on a treadmill.

Asics' Benefactor

Yes. Not very accurate with courses that have many sharp corners, especially. Why? It records sample points, and strings them together. Software in the unit can then try to correct for this. Think - if it took points, and strung them together, you would always get an artificially long distance. So they make an algorithm to correct for this. It is an estimate. And then your wrist is gesticulating around all the time, and the data points can be a ziggy zaggy line, making it artificially long. Try one person running 100 laps, same lane, then another person, and you will see it is not the same. But the track is the same. And on different days - not the same. If you want an accurate distance ... a jones counter on a bike. I got all nuts with this stuff before I grew some sense and learned it was the effort and time that count more than anything. I also spraypainted the roads around where I live every 100m with a steel tape. Just so I know - you know, and the track is occupied or snowcovered or something.
                      *giggle* Okay--I'll go away now
                      2008 Goals:
                      Run 5k (Naked Juice) 07/13/08 - 28:39
                      Run 10K (San Diego AIDS) 09/28/08 - 51:59
                      Run a 25 mile week Run a 100 mile month
                      evtish

Now I don't feel as bad about my interval times in lane 2 last Friday Big grin Good info, thanks!
                        mikeymike

Duh- yes, I guess I noticed all those triangles- I didn't know what they were for. But there is hundred of different markings on this new rubberized track. Guess I need to google (anyone know of a good web site that explains the markings? ) what each one means. DW and I usually run 5K distance on them. Only have been on the track twice. I am still road running with the hills and slants and everything, but the one or two runs per week on the track does give my aging body a much need break. Plus I can listen to my ZUNE while running. It's the only time I run with music. Track running is almost as boring as running on a treadmill.
                          In general, triangles mark the handoff zones for various relays (usually 4 x 100 and 4 x 400) and you can ignore those. If you're running 5000m on a track in anything other than lane 1, there is no marking that can help you. The website you linked above is your best bet. If you're doing 200's or 400's (and maybe 800's depending on your track) then you can use the staggered starting lines and finish at the common finish line.

Runners run

Old, Slow, Happy

I started running on the track to help my runners knee and other associated injuries. I sure appreciate the link to the lengths of the different lanes. http://www.philsport.com/narf/atrack.htm#A Thanks again!!
                            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Found a couple: Explanations of markings at a track in California, with photos. Sample Computerized Drawing For Track Marking (from a company that builds and / or marks tracks) Also this article on myths and mistakes to watch for regarding track measurements: Clarifying Track Times And Distances MTCS
                                And on different days - not the same.
                                Well, in my experience, my garmin is pretty much the same on different days. Still inaccurate though. So I'd guess you'd say it has been consistently inaccurate. Big grin Fishbowl