New Messages! (Read 1047 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Sorry if this has been covered before, but... I'd still like to be able to see, at a glance, if there are new posts to the forum. Maybe to the left of the forum name, it would be an icon like, "2 unread messages", something like that. You have something like this in the user groups, the "no new activities" notifier. It really helps! As it is now, I have to look at the "last post" time of each forum and correct for GMT. Even a "10 latest posts" link at the bottom of the forum list would help. easy for me to say...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Actually, there's a little icon and an arrow when there are new posts: If you click on the time stamp, it will bring you to teh latest post of the last topic in that folder. Once in the folders, there's an icon for new threads. Clicking on the date stamp brings you to the latest unread in that thread. It took me a while to figure those clicking on the time stamp tricks. I figured it out right before I asked Eric for it; I was literally opening the feature requests to type it in a couple of weeks ago when I got it.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, but these are VERY flaky. Often posts I have NOT read show up as read while posts I have read show up unread. It is more often incorrect than correct.
          As it is now, I have to look at the "last post" time of each forum and correct for GMT.
          What Blaine said. Plus, if you go to options->Locale Settings and set your time zone - you won't need to correct for GMT.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Jeffrey

I've noticed the flaky icon behavior too. Maybe it's a mac, or browser issue for us?
            Yes, but these are VERY flaky. Often posts I have NOT read show up as read while posts I have read show up unread. It is more often incorrect than correct.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've noticed the flaky icon behavior too. Maybe it's a mac, or browser issue for us?
              That might be, those icons are not too reliable in my experience.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

They may be flaky, but they ARE there...

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't rely on the icons, so can't comment on their flakiness. I use Firefox, and when there are new posts, the latest post link color changes when their are updates in that board. I find this to be pretty reliable - the only flakiness occurs when I eat pie.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have the flakiness issue on IE 6, IE 7, Firefox, Firefox Mac, Camino and Safari Mac. They may be there, but if they are not reliable then they may as well not be there.
                    eric :)

The icons are displayed next to threads that are modified since the last time the server thinks you've logged out. Unless you explicitly log out, the server has no definitive way of knowing what you're doing. You could have closed your browser, or you're reading a very long post. All web servers infer what you're doing by keeping track of your activity time (or more specificially, a timeout). If you do not fetch another page from the server within a time limit, then the server thinks you've left. The next time you comes back, the server will mark all posts created since then as new. So, if the icons don't display properly for you, it probably means you're here often enough that your session is never timed out. This behavior is not affected by your browser type since everything is done on the server side. As far as I can tell, it is working properly. You can do what I do, just look at the color of the latest post link. If it indicates I haven't visited a particular link, then it means I haven't read it yet. I'll come up with a better layout that will include latest posts after I'm done upgrading the log.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sure, sure. But the PHPBB bulletin boards use a different method that seems a lot more accurate. Every time I look at a post, the icon changes. But I think GPS and mapping updates are far more important... Wink

Sure, sure. But the PHPBB bulletin boards use a different method that seems a lot more accurate. Every time I look at a post, the icon changes. But I think GPS and mapping updates are far more important... Wink
                          They probably keep track of every individual thread you read. They can afford to do that because their software only does forums. This site does a lot more than just running forum software. Keeping track of what everyone's read will probably place an unreasonable strain on the server. Wouldn't you rather have the server be processing your GPS data instead?
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha. I use the PHPBB on my Monkey site. It is all fairly lightweight and php driven. I think that it does not take much server energy.

Have you looked at the database schema? Do they in fact have a table to map users to the posts they read?
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The db is on a freind's server and I have not gotten to see it. He has been very very busy. Given how it behaves with other issues, I suspect that to be the case.