Berlin marathon 2014 (Read 207 times)

it's another perfect day for a marathon in Berlin! Any ra-ers running or spectating? I haven't really read up on who's running but did see that Shalane Flanagan wants to set a new American record. Will be interesting to see how she does. I already told my three year old we'll be screaming and waving at the american runner lady; he's looking forward to that Big grin Time for some breakfast, then off to the laufstrecke!

Feeling the growl again

2:02:57 WR for Kimetto, with Mutai also under the old record.  Almost half a minute chopped off the old WR.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

amazing. And kimetto was running alone the last few kilometers. Mutai seemed a little p.o'd at the finish.

Shalane Flanagan was in the lead when I saw her but it was clear the Ethiopians were going to make a move at some point. I hope Shalane isn't disappointed with her race (no record, but pr and third place finish).

Unreal. Sub 2 hrs seems almost feasible now.

Imagine running 2:03:13, 10 seconds under WR, and losing. Ouch.

Runners run

yeah, I was thinking that would piss a person off!

Feeling the growl again

6 years to take ~1min off from Haile G's 2:03:59 to Kimeto's 2:02:57

5 years to take ~1min off from Tergat's 2:04:55 to Haile G's 2:03:59

5 years to take ~1min off from da Costa's 2:06:05 to Tergat's 2:05:55

13 years to take ~1min off from Lopes's 2:07:12 to Da Costa's 2:06:05

4 years to take ~1min off from De Castella's 2:08:18 to Lopes's 2:07:12

The men's marathon WR has been broken 9 of the last 17 years.

If anything, as focus has shifted to the marathon from the track over the past decade, the WR progression has stayed steady or possibly even accelerated.  Such things are not linear and there will probably be a leveling point where we see a leveling off as the current generation of early-to-marathon African athletes reach their potential (as a group).  But seeing another 3 minutes go in the next 15-25 years does not seem out of this world.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kalsarikännit

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if we see the new record get broken in two weeks (Bekele/Kitwara/Kipchoge).

I do have to admit disappointment when a race like this fails to have a woman go sub 2:20.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I do have to admit disappointment when a race like this fails to have a woman go sub 2:20.

Agreed.  I would have loved for Shalane to get it (still, 2nd fastest American ever).  But it just shows how special 2:20 is....and how insane Radcliffe was in her prime.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

2:02:57 WR for Kimetto, with Mutai also under the old record.  Almost half a minute chopped off the old WR.  

That's a 4:42 pace, folks.  Or as DW put it, approximately 13 mph.  On foot, I'm told.

Goorun

I think that even a lot of runners don't understand how insanely fast this is.

That is a lap on a standard 400 meters track in 70 seconds. Marathon on track is 105 laps and a half (195 meters exactly).

Disclaimer: What I think is fast is not intended to offend anybody who might have different definition of fast.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

Agreed.  I would have loved for Shalane to get it (still, 2nd fastest American ever).  But it just shows how special 2:20 is....and how insane Radcliffe was in her prime.

+1

Her record might last for a few more years. A lot of good male runners would take that PR, myself included.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

That is a lap on a standard 400 meters track in 70 seconds. Marathon on track is 105 laps and a half (195 meters exactly).

Disclaimer: What I think is fast is not intended to offend anybody who might have different definition of fast.

I don't know... I think most "runners" hear marathon in 2:02 and think insanely fast...or at least any runner that's ran a marathon and thought about times and paces.

Kalsarikännit

Her record might last for a few more years.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I don't live to see it broken. The next two fastest times in the world are hers, and the fourth fastest time ever is more than three minutes slower than Paula's WR. I try not to compare it to anything because it is such an outlier.

That being said, if weather cooperates and and the broads have a good day, I think there is a possibility for four women to go sub 2:20 at Chicago. Either way, the Jeptoo/Kiplagat race should be a doozy.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE CALLING ALL THE REST OF US SLOW.

Dave

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE CALLING ALL THE REST OF US SLOW.

Only those of us who can't run 10 miles in under 50.

(See, I was paying attention.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.