Adding Distance (Read 1258 times)

The Meek One

I am very happy to say that I am running 2.5 miles this week. Smile I started running in late July and could not run a mile with out stopping multiple times to walk. My asthma convinced me I was unable to run, which took a toll on my cardiovascular health. It took a couple of weeks to work up to a mile with out walking, since then I have been adding steadily to my distance, and running 4 or 5 days a week. After a run I feel great, I am tired but I know I can go farther. Can I add more than a quater mile a week without injuring myself? The advice I have read recommends adding one-tenth your total distance or quater mile or so each week. Does that hold true for all runners?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A quarter miler per week? Bah! Go out and run like you feel. If you start to ache, back down. Make sure to take some rest time in there. If you want to add on a mile one day, do it. It will feel great! Silly little rules. I run because I have asthma. Three years ago, I did not run. Now I rarely wheeze. Awesome work, keep going!!

Me and my gang in Breck

One tenth is what seems to be recommended. Buy like Trent said, listen to what your body says.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

There's nothing wrong with walking, I walked when I was starting out and I still do. I can't say for certain, but I believe I was "running" four minutes and walking one. I now "run" six minutes and walk for a minute, then repeat. You can adjust or eliminate walk breaks as you see fit, for your overall method or on a particular run. Walking has allowed me to complete a half marathon in 1:48, my PR for 5K is 20:40, and I hope like hell it will help me to complete my first marathon in November. When I was starting out, I added a mile to my long run every other weekend. The key for me was significantly reducing my pace on the long run. I also heeded the advice of veteran runners to get in at least three sessions a week, to minimize the chance of injury. I wish I had known just how important a good running shoe is, I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation and discomfort. If you are interested, it was a link to runinjuryfree.com that started me on my run/walk method, it's one of Jeff Galloway's sites. Whatever you do, stick with it and have fun.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The Meek One

Allright!! I am outta here! Big grin
            scrumhalfgirl

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here, but I just took a quick look at your log. If the times and paces you have are correct, then you are running very fast for a beginner. The pace that you are doing for your "easy" runs is most likely too quick to be "easy" if you are just starting out. I would recommend slowing most of your runs to a pace where you can carry on a conversation (with yourself?) or sing outloud as you run, without having to gasp. If you run at that pace, you will be able to lengthen your runs much more easily, and without risking injury.

-Jess

I am slowly increasing my distance every week. I run 4 days per week (x-train 2 days). For 3 of the days, my runs average 5-6 miles. On my long day, I've been building my distance by .5-1 mile each week. Now up to 9.5 miles. This Saturday (or Sunday if it's raining on Sat) should be 10 miles. I'm taking it slowly to help my body get used to distance. I'm learning as I go. Last Saturday, finally figured out that I need to bring some hydration on the long runs.
                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                joefreudenthal

Missa, Congratulations on even starting to run. I think that is awesome. The best advice I can give you is to listen to what your body is telling you. As a physical therapist, I saw people over and over with injuries that were very preventable if the person would have paid more attention to what their body was telling them. When you are starting out, add no more than 10% of your weekly mileage. If you feel any "lingering" soreness or actual pain, take active rest days until that soreness is gone. Just that simple practice will prevent many injuries from happening. Good luck and enjoy yourself! Joe Freudenthal enerfitrunning.blogspot.com
                  Mr E

"Velocitus Delectiblus"

Missa, The following free advice may be worth everything you payed for it! Wink I would first concentrate on time vs mileage. Steadily (and cautiously) increase the amont of time you run and let the miles take care of themselves. The real issue in improving your conditioning is a function of time and intensity. I absolutely agree with the comment that you should keep your pace "conversational". If yu are already doing this, keep it up. The idea is to stay aerobic to get the most benifit out of your exercise time. Wait till you have a well established base of mileage before doing any real hard running. Trent's advice , as usual, is sound. Listen to your body. I would add one caution. Do all you can to avoid your body yelling "Hey, I'm injured" Dead. Taking time off for an injury is extremely frustrating, especially as you try to make an exercise program a habit. As you continue, your heart and lungs will be able to accommodate an increase in exercise than your ligaments and tendons may be as ready for. This is the main reason for all the caution about increasing mileage too quickly. Limit the pounding on your joints by making sure you have good shoes (fit specifcallly for your running gait), and by doing some of your running on softer surfaces (dirt, grass, the track, etc.) Most of all, have fun and enjoy being"A RUNNER"!
                      Everybody's advice is great. I've been listening to these people for months and they haven't lead me wrong yet. 10% at your distance might be a bit small of an increase but listen to your body. I know that as soon as I try to add to much total for the week it could take a couple of weeks before my legs feel better.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

derek

I am very happy to say that I am running 2.5 miles this week. Smile
                        When I first read your post, I thought you meant you were running 2.5 miles total for the week, but I checked your log and confirmed you're running that each day :-)

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Missa, The following free advice may be worth everything you payed for it! Wink I would first concentrate on time vs mileage. Steadily (and cautiously) increase the amont of time you run and let the miles take care of themselves. The real issue in improving your conditioning is a function of time and intensity.
                          I STILL plan my workouts this way--after a year-and-a-half of running. I got into this habit with the couch-to-5k program and it stuck with me. No substantial injuries, just little things here and there that have all worked-out with time and care. Running for time helps me to not be so obsessed with my mileage and overdoing it. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Meek One

My time varies wildly, and that has cuased me some concern. Now that the weekend is approaching, I will focus my runs on running for a longer time and try not to focus on the distance covered. I really appreciate all of the advice and info. Thanks

Another Passion

Missa - if you get back to this thread... YOU'RE DOING FREAKIN' AWESOME GIRL!! Big grin Not that I am any type of a running guru or advice giver (I am good at encouraging though), but from taking a look at your initial post in this thread and then taking a gander at your training log, you're doind a GREAT job of being consistent (way better than me!) and gradually increasing your mileage. All of the advice from the more formidable and experienced runners chiming in on this thread I think is right on as well. Just listen to your body and, take what it will allow you. Just a note on my beginnings... I smoked for 17+ years, quitting in January of 2002 never, EVER thinking I would run anywhere given the condition of my lungs from smoking and started out walking a quarter mile, then jogging a quarter mile on a treadmill praying to God for that quarter mile to end so I could breath again! Then slowly pushing up the amount of time that I would jog. Now I just go. Anyway... KUDOS to you Missa and... keep up the great work!! Wink Your neighbor to the south~ Rick

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I don't down walking either. Smile I found it always chilled me out.

Vim