Are you a runner age 35 or older? (Read 546 times)

memCVdoc

As most readers of these forums are aware, recent studies have brought into question the benefits of intensive running in terms of health and overall longevity. To help clarify some of these issues, we are conducting a survey of training characteristics and health habits in recreational and competitive runners over the age of 35. If you meet these criteria we invite you to participate in our online survey. It is 45 questions and should take less than 10 minutes to complete.

By the way, the study team is composed of several aging ex college and HS runners.

The survey can be accessed at:

http://www.research.net/s/runmasters

Thanks for your help!!

The M.A.S.T.E.R.S. Study Team

Visit us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MastersAthleticsStudy

jfa

Yes I am.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Indeed.

steph  

A few comments about the survey:

1. What if you do trail races too?  Is this really only for road racers?

2. I would break out ultras further or group marathon/50k together and then ultra into <100K and greater than 100K

3. Weekly mileage categories should be broader, maybe 50-70 mpw, 71-90, 90 plus

memCVdoc

A few comments about the survey:

1. What if you do trail races too?  Is this really only for road racers?

2. I would break out ultras further or group marathon/50k together and then ultra into <100K and greater than 100K

3. Weekly mileage categories should be broader, maybe 50-70 mpw, 71-90, 90 plus

No, please participate if you are a trail runner (notice our question asks about how often you run a "road race OR competitive running race"

Wow, that's alot of mileage.  We chose the mileage categories for this survey based on how running mileage was broken down in several recent studies that created the current controversy regarding running and longevity (ACL study, Copenhagen Heart)

Hannibal Granite

Wow, that's alot of mileage. 

For very serious runners 50 miles a week is they we do when they're being lazy Wink

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

No, please participate if you are a trail runner (notice our question asks about how often you run a "road race OR competitive running race"

Wow, that's alot of mileage.  We chose the mileage categories for this survey based on how running mileage was broken down in several recent studies that created the current controversy regarding running and longevity (ACL study, Copenhagen Heart)

Road race OR competitive running race?  Are road races in the eyes of the study not competitive?  What's the difference in competition between a road race and a competitive running race?

As has been mentioned, 50 miles a week is actually not a lot of mileage.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So the study is only for low mileage runners really?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

50 miles per week for a year is 2600 miles. If you are getting 2600 miles in a year, you are probably a high mileage runner -- few of us get there.

Latent Runner

Then there are those of us who can manage 55-70 miles per week in the summer months but only 20-25 miles per week in the winter when there's lots of snow on the ground (running in snowshoes really slows you down and limits how far you can go before you collapse from exhaustion).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

SheCan

No problem.  Survey complete.

As most readers of these forums are aware, recent studies have brought into question the benefits of intensive running in terms of health and overall longevity. To help clarify some of these issues, we are conducting a survey of training characteristics and health habits in recreational and competitive runners over the age of 35. If you meet these criteria we invite you to participate in our online survey. It is 45 questions and should take less than 10 minutes to complete.

By the way, the study team is composed of several aging ex college and HS runners.

The survey can be accessed at:

http://www.research.net/s/runmasters

Thanks for your help!!

The M.A.S.T.E.R.S. Study Team

Visit us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MastersAthleticsStudy

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

perryw

Get back to me in about 9 days Smile

Then there are those of us who can manage 55-70 miles per week in the summer months but only 20-25 miles per week in the winter when there's lots of snow on the ground (running in snowshoes really slows you down and limits how far you can go before you collapse from exhaustion).

+1

In summer we run some of the mountains whereas in winter we snowshoe run the frozen swamps - or sometimes just run on the snow if it's packed enough.  But it's still easier to rack up some miles - and hours - in the summer.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I suspect they chose their mileage categories based on the fact that some people suggest if you're running more than about 20mpw, then you're running for more than health benefits.

Of course, those people never went for long trail runs into the mountains and gotten that mental relaxation (when not worrying about bears).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              NHLA

Done. I run 50 miles a week.  I just don't feel fit enough to race in the mountains on less mileage.