Stupid question...how do you position your hands when you run? (Read 869 times)

Baby bean!

Are your arms high, low, loose, fists clenched, fingers straight out, etc?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Hey Sushigirl... I pretty much have them in tight, elbows at 90 degrees and hands relaxed with a thumbs up for some reason. Just click on my profile pick....that's how they always are until my shoulders get tight and then I'll shake them out for a bit.
        Hi SushiGirl My arms are pretty much what you see in my avatar Smile If I'm pushing up a hill my hands will get to almost shoulder height. My hands and wrists are loose and relaxed. Mostly my fingers are in a neutral position - not straight and not clenched, with my thumbs resting on top of my middle finger. Until now I hadn't thought about how I hold my hands, you could say they are simply in the position of least tension. For me. Sometimes I'll get some tension in my elbows, so I'll let my arms hang down and shake them out for a few seconds. Probably do this every 10 - 15 minutes.

Geoff

CaseyT

What i do is pretty much just let them hang loose. i dont know if thats how you should do it but it works for me and is most comfortable.
          Pompano High XC!

#artbydmcbride

Just exactly like CheffysHub describes, and I swing them forward and back like I am hitting bongos next to each hip.

Runners run

Blisters

Hands are loose. If Im running right, my thumbs will brush my pockets. Or where my pockets would be if I had them.
              Dunottar

Arm position is basically whatever I don't have to think about, though I suspect it's pretty much what everybody else has described. When I first started running I had a problem with clenching my fists really tight, which led to arm fatigue and even some occasional cramping. Then I read somewhere this 'mental trick' that you should run as though you're carrying a bag of potato chips in each hand (that you don't want to crush in to crumbs!). After a couple of weeks of playing this mind game,...loose hands, no arm fatigue, more comfortable run.
                Roses Revenge

Arms at a 90 degree angel, hands loose. The advise I was given was to hold your hand as if you were holding a parakeet and that seems to work for me. I've also figured out that race pictures look better with arms bent than they do hanging down at your side. Okay, so I want to look good in the pictures! Rose

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I hold my arms a little higher than I'd like - elbows probably about a 45 degree angle. It's purely vanity on my part, because altough it feels comfortable, I have short arms in comparison to the rest of my body and for some reason they look even shorter with the high arm carriage.

Run the race God set B4U

I have the thumbs up hand position as well, I don't mean to do it, but it's just comfortable for me, my arms are higher than they need to be most of the time and that's why my shoulders are sore after a really good run. I was told I run like I used to be a Sprinter, I was'nt. Who knows....
                      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Blaaahhhh

I try to keep my hands low at my waist with my thumb and first finger together like I was carrying a stick in each hand. Actually in college my running coach had me carry sticks so I would keep my hands low. Otherwise I watch the guys leading the pack in the marathons and 10k runs and try to follow their style. Focusing on posture during a race gives me something to think about other than pain and exhaustion.
                        TJoseph

I think people spend too much time worrying about their form. The more miles you run, the better your body will adapt and become more economical. Here is an interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/fashion/11Best.html "Researchers are finding that easy assumptions about exercise economy just don’t hold up under rigorous study. Take the idea that you can tell who is an economical runner or cyclist by watching the person perform. Not true, researchers say. The only way to know is with tests in a lab. Dr. Daniels showed this in a study in which he videotaped runners. Then he sent the videos to coaches and biomechanics experts, and asked which were the more economical runners. “They couldn’t tell, no way at all,” he said. But can runners become more economical if they change their form? The surprising answer seems to be no, said Dr. Krahenbuhl. In fact, he said, every study that asked what happened after runners changed their natural form found that running economy declined."
                            Arms straight up in the air, with hands formed into devil horns.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

relaxed,hands cross around pockets or hip bones..unlike some of the pics I have seen. I never bring my hands across my body...i take my hands straight from the hip and straight out and up (but not too far unless really running hard), never across too much. Somewhere, a long time ago...my older brother told me that everytime you cross through your body with your hands and arm swing it collapses the lungs just a little bit, and oxygen flow is huge in distance running. He was the purest runner I have ever seen...so, whether its true or not...it sorta of stuck.
                              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)