running in smoke (Read 116 times)

rmcj001

@1050, looks like South East Bay is a bit better with current wind conditions (LRAPA adjusted).  Around 70-80 AQI.  I know it is a bit flat, but Palo Alto Baylands (can work in some hills around the old dump site) south is probably a good bet for a long run. Winds in the Baylands are generally coming off the Bay and can be fairly stiff.  Coastal Trail Runs hosts a 1/2 Marathon that stays just within the Palo Alto Baylands, pretty sure you can add in quite a bit more by going south down into Mountain View past the Googleplex.

Coyote Hills in Fremont could also be a good place to run. There is a pedestrian bridge over 84 that joins the park with Don Edwards Preserve.  Not as familiar with the area, but there are more hills to run and Brazen does races there.  Much more looping to stay in the Park.

But, you can extend things pretty far by heading over the Dumbarton Bridge if you want. If you wanted, you could actually combine the Palo Alto Baylands and Coyote Hills that would be mostly trails...

Oh, and here's a site that has a map of current wind conditions, https://www.windy.com/?37.814,-120.328,7

Ray

Gizmo2019

Wow, love this windy map!! Thanks!

bhearn

Bob, head up to Ocean Beach!  Not too far a drive from you.  Run up through GGNRA and maybe over the bridge and then back for your long run.  Purpleair reports <20 there (LRAPA adjusted).

I’m thinking Half Moon Bay. I see there’s a HS track there. No idea whether I can use it, but if not I guess I’ll find a short loop on city streets.

My part of the East Bay, Berkeley to San Rafael Bridge, was perfectly fine yesterday and today. I don't know what the sensors say, but the sniff and vision test is A-OK for running.

We drove up to Sacto to get something this morning, and 80 from about Pinole was socked in. Vallejo was pretty bad, as of course all through Vacaville where the fire jumped I-80.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

kcam

I’m thinking Half Moon Bay. I see there’s a HS track there. No idea whether I can use it, but if not I guess I’ll find a short loop on city streets.

A great option.  On Sat night that is exactly where I planned my long run for Sun morning.  Park in the Ritz-Carlton garage then take the Coastal Trail up North for 6 miles then turnaround.  But on Sunday AM HMB air quality was horrible so I changed to SF Ocean Beach which for some reason was better.

The CZU fire has burned as far north as Pescadero.  I'd strongly advise against running at Half Moon Bay High School, which is being used as an evacuation center for people displaced by the fire.  Everyone is being asked to stay away if they don't need to be there.  HMB in general is on edge bc of the fire, with a lot of first responder and evacuee activity.  With only two roads in and out of town now, I'd say you should avoid HMB entirely.  What about Pacifica, like Terra Nova HS if you want a track (not sure if it's open to the public now)?  Or Montara Mountain. I'm thinking Montara Mountain might be closed, since San Mateo parks have been closed (rangers were pulled in to help with the fire).  Mori Point in Pacifica is GGNRA and should be open.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

bhearn

Huh. Well, there wasn’t much traffic on the way there, or any crowds at the HS, and the track was open and the air was perfect.

Good to hear that things have quieted down. I hear the stressful side from friends who have evacuated and the local agencies helping out. I've been avoiding going into town (I'm in EG).  Definitely can't complain about AQ.  Weather has been good and the fire perimeter seems to be holding steady at the north end.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Christirei

Nothing like what you all on the west coast are dealing with, but today the skyline in KC was really hazy, weather report said it was smoke from the CA fires!!! something about on the jet stream over the Rockies and coming into our air space Smile made for a beautiful sunrise...but no cause for concern. Interesting how it can travel so far!

rmcj001

Judging by the Airnow.gov site, it would appear that most of the US is covered by smoke plumes from the fires in the West. Exceptions would be most of the deep South and Seattle/Portland area.

When did airnow add in the purpleair sensors?

Ray

Gizmo2019

Yes the winds are pushing the smoke mostly to the east...sorry 😬

We also get those fiery Or colorful sunsetS when there’s a certain amount of smoke...

Definite relief today but certainly not over...