Middle School Track (Read 615 times)

Non ducor, duco.

My DS 12 wants to tryout for track in the fall. Kids can try-out for as many events as they want. He wants to do 100 meters. The problem is that I dont think he's a sprinter. Hes tallish 5"6 and skinny. He recently ran a 8 MM in PE which put him in the top 3 that day. How do coaches normally decide what event younger kids will do? He's wasnt too excited about my suggestion to look at 800 meters.

Just Be

Take him to the track and time his all-out 100 meter. If it's under 13 seconds for a middle-schooler then he has a good shot at the 100 meter event.

Just Be

Actually, anything under 14 seconds and he will probably do fine, at least in middle school. At 12, he should be running close to a 6 minute mile in order to be competitive in the 800 or 1500 events.
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andreia, with my sons, the coaches usually let them try what they want, but then (strongly) suggest the events the coach wants them to run. DS15 likes longer distances, but his coach makes him run 800 meters some of the time. I think you should let him try what he would like - the main thing is to get him interested. It seems to become obvious pretty quickly about what events the kids are good at. That's great he wants to run!
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My DS 12 wants to tryout for track in the fall. Kids can try-out for as many events as they want. He wants to do 100 meters. The problem is that I dont think he's a sprinter. Hes tallish 5"6 and skinny. He recently ran a 8 MM in PE which put him in the top 3 that day. How do coaches normally decide what event younger kids will do? He's wasnt too excited about my suggestion to look at 800 meters.
            It seems like everyone wants to be a sprinter. Despite running a 5:59 mile at the end of 6th grade, I went into junior high dead-set on being a sprinter. And despite some success at the 800m in 7th grade, I was dead-set on being a sprinter. Finally, in 8th grade, I was running the 4x200m relay and regularly getting waxed pretty badly (as well as dabbling in hurdles). And I realized, hmm, maybe I'm not a sprinter. For young kids trying track, it's hard to find your niche right away. But if you stick with it, your niche usually seems to find you. But he should try out a lot of different events. Eventually, I imagine he would start to gravitate towards the ones he has success in.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Actually, anything under 14 seconds and he will probably do fine, at least in middle school. At 12, he should be running close to a 6 minute mile in order to be competitive in the 800 or 1500 events.
              Dude, relax with all the time stuff. This sounds like a kid just trying out track and seeing what he likes, as opposed to determining whether he'll be elite at that age level.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just Be

Just offering perspective. I do agree completely with everything you said, though. Middle school track is more about having fun and learning to function as part of a team.

Non ducor, duco.

Dude, relax with all the time stuff. This sounds like a kid just trying out track and seeing what he likes, as opposed to determining whether he'll be elite at that age level.
                  Exactly, although that is interesting to know. He's got his mother's slow gene. I guess I will have to keep working rather than depending on his Wheaties box cover to retire me.

Non ducor, duco.

Hey runner92! I used to live in Columbia, MD!

Just Be

Really? That's pretty awesome! Smile Where in Columbia? You moved pretty far away. I have a friend that moved from Columbia to Texarkana last year, was sad to see her go but she's happy down there with her husband.
                        Let him try out for everything - it will all sort its self out........you never know, he may end up a great sprinter....on the other hand, he may decide he wants to play the piano and run just for fun....Its all good so I say let him try everything at this age - it will all come together for him....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

Non ducor, duco.

Really? That's pretty awesome! Smile Where in Columbia? You moved pretty far away. I have a friend that moved from Columbia to Texarkana last year, was sad to see her go but she's happy down there with her husband.
                          I lived not far from the mall. I miss Centennial Park, but Im a Texan at heart.

Just Be

Centennial park is great, but I haven't been there in awhile. I was thinking of doing the Police Pace 5k this year, maybe. Best of luck to your son. Hopefully he'll really get into running and use it to learn the value of determination and hard work. Keep us updated about his progress!
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Let him try out for everything - it will all sort its self out........you never know, he may end up a great sprinter....on the other hand, he may decide he wants to play the piano and run just for fun....Its all good so I say let him try everything at this age - it will all come together for him....JohnA
                              Very true! We tried so hard to get DS15 (our oldest, the one we push, lol) to play guitar, to play soccer, to play baseball, but those things didn't "take." It was when he ran an entire 20-mile Habitat for Humanity Walk in 8th grade that we finally figured out what he was meant to do. Who knew??

Non ducor, duco.

That is cool that your son got interested in that way,Teresa. My son is quite the brainyack. His idea of a good time is contemplating the time-space continuum. (not kidding) He has been a dabbler in soccer and golf. He told me he liked the geometry of both sports. Huh? It is hard to relate because when I was his age, I was crazy into several sports. So when he said he wanted to tryout, I was excited. That is why I didnt know whether or not to try to lead him into an event that he might be better at than one he will definitely struggle with. I will suggest that he tryout for everything as suggested here.