marathon training long run max. (Read 125 times)

jmsab23

I recently completed my 2nd marathon. The first was the same race, a year ago. I had very similar results - good until mile 22 or so, then calf cramps and spasms. I tried more electrolytes this time, and more fueling in general - GUs and water. I thought I had the right amount of each. So I'm looking at my training, and specifically my longest runs - 20, and 20.5 miles. I followed the same plan I used last year, for simplicity and familiarity. I'm wondering why I haven't seen or heard of any plans that include longer runs, so your body gets really used to the distance. I paced my long runs at about 8:30 - 8:45. I ran both my races in a bit under 3:40, around an 8:15 pace.

Are there training plans that suggest longer runs? I haven't found any, and have asked several experienced marathoners without finding anyone who uses a plan with a full 26 miles or close to it.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What sort of weekly mileage were you putting in during those build ups? I think if you were doing anything under 60, then 20/21 was perfectly reasonable. It may just be a matter of getting more of those in, not necessarily running longer. That, or more miles per week.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

What was your pace up to mile 22? If you were running 8:15 to then, and had cramps and spasms, and were able to maintain 8:15s, kudos. The most probable culprit is you went out to fast for your fitness. Or, you may just be a cramper (see Ritz).

I've given up on marathons because they suck. I've only done 4, but cramped in all of them, each one faster than the last though. Doing a longer long run wouldn't have helped, and you don't see plans with them because the generally accepted wisdom is they don't help.

So, you can go out slower (or relatively slower if your fitness has improved since the last 2 races). You can run more miles (but not a longer long run). You can learn how to suffer (I did this, I don't recommend it as a way to have fun racing). Or you can run other distances.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Looking at your PRs, I think the culprit is a lack of endurance, which is generally due to insufficient weekly mileage (over time).  Your 5k PR is the equivalent of a sub-43 10k or a sub-1:35 half.  You're also running your long runs too fast to develop physiological endurance; based on your 5k and your marathon aspirations (not your goal time, but the fact that you're marathon training) you should be running around 9 minute pace, based on your half I'd say even more slowly, up to 9:20.

A longer long run will not help much.  Running more weekly mileage, slowing down your non-workout runs, and choosing a reasonable goal based on your fitness (which includes endurance) will help. I think that your goal is pretty reasonable for a moderately low mileage runner, 40-50mpw (average over your whole cycle, not your peak weeks).  If you are already running 40-50mpw, you are just going to have to either suck it up and run more in training, or choose a more conservative goal.

npaden

Yep.  What the others have said.

It isn't about the long run so much as the weekly volume that you are running. It has more to do with the weekly mileage and your pacing than anything else.  I personally think anything longer than 20 miles during training for a marathon is doing more harm than good unless you are a very fast runner who can run 20 miles in a couple hours.

I'm a big believer in the Hansons plan and for my first marathon I had only done a couple 18 milers until the race and didn't have any issues at all with cramps, etc.  They actually only have 16 mile long runs in their plans but I couldn't keep myself from at least getting in a couple 18 milers.

Remember, you can't "bank" time in a marathon, your fastest marathon is going to be a negative split.  Getting the right pace for the first 15 or 16 miles is a big part of the art of running a marathon IMO.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Andres1045

I might not be understanding completely.  Did you stay more or less on pace, but just felt bad because of the cramps and spasms?  Or did you really bonk and have to slow it considerably (so started on pace for something like 3:25 but struggled bad in the last 4 miles and lost 10 minutes)?

If you stayed more or less on pace, it could be that your training and goal setting were right on.  Feeling great at the end of a marathon likely means that you set a goal that was a bit too conservative.  The few that I have done where I've paced perfectly and come up with the best I can for that particular day, they've all felt like crap at the end.  Often with some twitching and cramps.

But getting to your question re: 26mi long runs in plans, I'm not sure I've actually seen one written out.  I know people do it.  The few people I know that regularly, or semi-regularly do 26 mile long runs are running 100+ miles per week and have no issues recovering from those types of long runs.   But like others have said, increasing the overall mileage over the entire cycle (or several cycles) is usually a much more effective way to make the last miles of the marathon more tolerable.

Upcoming races: Boston

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Link to a great RA discussion on long run distance and its impact.

Wow Milk, you were right, great discussion. I think MikeyMike's pos was perfectly stated what I often feel about marathon running (even only running once myself): everybody is obsessed with the distance of their longest runs for the marathon distance when they really shouldn't be. I've always followed the standard of trying to get 3 runs in at 3 hours. For some people, that could be 24 miles, For others, it may only be 17.

I'll copy and paste here (full credit to MikeyMike on this post), just in case people don't want to scroll through the entire thread:

Even though the phenomenon sometimes frustrates me, I totally get the obsession many--especially newer--runners have with the long run for marathon training. I really do. I mean for most of us, the marathon is the one distance we race where the race itself is longer than any (or at least almost any) training run we ever do. Just the distance itself is scary enough, let alone thinking about racing it. And when you do go out and botch a marathon and the final 25% of it becomes a brutal death march, it's really easy to say that the solution is more long runs--after all it wasn't until after 20 miles that the wheels came off, right?

The thing is no matter what distance you're racing if you totally mess it up, the disaster won't show itself until about he final 25% of the race. I can't tell you how many times I've run 5K's that went 5:20, 5:38, 6:19-doing-the-funky-chicken. But when we do that we don't automatically look at that last mile as the problem the way we do in the marathon. We don't say, "Oh, obviously I need to do more runs that are longer than 2 miles because at 2 miles is where the wheels came off." Because all of our runs are longer than 2 miles, hell they're longer than the race itself. So we look at other things and say, "Well I need to do more speedwork," or "I need to do more tempos," or, "I need to run more hills," or if we're really clever we might even say, "I need to run more," or, "I need to stop overestimating my fitness and going out way too fast!"

Long runs are very important for marathon training. In most training weeks, your longest run is your single most important run of the week. But it's not more important than all the other runs combined. And just because it's an important run doesn't mean it's a good idea to flog yourself for four hours. I like Nobby's recommendation to focus on time, more than distance. Although I log distance, I plan my training based on time. In marathon training, I try to do at least 2 single runs per week over 90 minutes, with one of them being over 2 hours. I never run longer than 3 hours and very rarely even approach 3 hours. But I do run every day and run relatively high mileage for a regular person

Okay but I'm faster than the average person and that means I can run 20 miles in well under 3 hours so I can't possibly relate to the challenges of slower runners!

Yeah, I've heard it before. But I've got plenty of experience working with slower runners, and my experience tells me the same thing Nobby's a thousand times more extensive experience tells him--that although it may be psychologically important for a newer marathoner to go over 20 miles at least once in training, it's probably not a good idea to go longer than 3 hours, regardless of distance, very often.

We call training "training" and not "practice" (well most of us anyway) for a reason. It's because although there is some element of it that is mental and psychological practice for the stress of racing, really what we're trying to do is train our bodies. We're actually trying to make physiological changes to our bodies to make them better able to run fast and long--we're increasing our abilities to process and use oxygen, building capillaries, increasing blood volume, increasing aerobic enzyme activity, strengthening our hearts, our lungs, our muscles, our connective tissues. We're building neuromuscular coordination and becoming more efficient, quicker, smoother, lighter on our feet. We're developing more powerful, more efficient strides, we're...training.

We are indeed also practicing--developing a raw toughness, an edge, a killer instinct, a detached ambivalence to our own suffering in favor of a laserbeam focus on The Task At Hand, an understanding of what we can and can't do, and a belief that we can do just a tiny bit more than what we've done so far. But all that mental practice doesn't mean a thing without the training, and really you couldn't have one without the other so the question is moot.

These changes both physical and psychological can only happen a little at a time. That is, no matter how big of a workout or a run you do, you can only make so much progress from one effort. At some point, you've gotten all the training stimulus there is to get from a single run or a workout and you're just bludgeoning yourself needlessly, prolonging your recovery and compromising the next few/several days of training. The exact point is probably a bit different for everyone and the intensity certainly matters but for your run of the mill long run, 3 hours is probably a good rule of thumb. So it's really the sum total of all the little efforts that do much, much more of the work than a few Big Efforts, but the Big Efforts can put the finishing touches on a training cycle. That's why weekly, monthly, yearly, lifetime mileage is always much, much more important than the long run, but the long run is still important.

Nothing magical happens at 20 miles. You don't suddenly switch to burning fat over carbs or any other such physiobabble. You're always burning both, and the mix depends on effort/pace, not distance. Run a lot of weekly miles at low intensities and you'll become damned efficient and using fat as a fuel source to spare your glycogen. "The Wall" is purely a function of outrunning your fitness level. If you run the first 15 miles too fast, you'll hit the wall no matter how many long runs you've done over 20 miles. And if you go out slow enough you'll never hit it even if your longest run ever was 10 miles.

I guess what gets me riled up and why I've felt the need to write this novel is when you've consistently got the most experienced, most accomplished runners and coaches on this board saying that 20 milers are not the be-all-end-all and still there is vehement argument from people who've never run a marathon or have run one or two off of low mileage and long runs talking about the NEED for 20+ milers, as if there's no other option (I'm not specifically talking about this thread here, BTW). You'd think experience would count here. Nobby is, literally, a world renowned coach. Obsessor has run 2:30. Tanya is 47 and ran sub 3:40 this year at Boston. Jeff won his first marathon and has run 2:38. I'm nobody's idea of elite but I've shown an ability to improve through training--I ran my first marathon in 3:40, took a full 30 minutes off between my first and my 2nd, and have taken another 15 minutes out of my marathon PR since then, with hopes of more time coming off soon.

When you consider the collective experience--the many tens of thousands of miles, the many hundreds of races, the many dozens of marathons--on the side of "Don't overdo the long runs," you'd think there might be something to it. Just sayin'.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Still kicking

This is always an interesting discussion. In 2015 and 2016, I got into ultras, and was training for races much longer than marathons. My long runs were sometime 30+ miles. Interestingly, my weekly miles still didn't get much higher than regular marathon training, usually averaging 50 mpw, and peaking at 70 mpw. In 2016 I took 7 minutes off my master Marathon PR, and it was walk-in-the-park easy. The only difference was super long, long runs. I've run 38 marathons to date, so lots of experience.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava