2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great work as usual on this thread. The addition of sub 2:45 runners has both motivated me and made me realize how much work is needed to get to those times.

Mikkey - Based on your recent training, that is a very impressive time!

Swim - 22 miles on a Wednesday morning? See what I said above.

Cinnamon - Very nice week

Iam- Amazing week and long run. I thought the JD type runs were bad at 60 mpw, they're outrageous at 100 mpw.

Mark - Good luck with the continued taper.

Weather - Very impressive week, you're really building up back up nicely. I hope you're enjoying the JD workouts!

JT - Another JD runner! It's becoming quite the movement on this thread.

Three - Welcome!

Kram - Are you following JD's half marathon plan? Or just borrowing some workouts from the 2Q plan and making up your own?

Paul - Great week

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Me - This was my last week of training before tapering. I ran a half marathon on Saturday. My goal was to run it at MP after a 4 mile warm up, but my pace kept creeping higher even as I tried to hold back. I decided to just go with it instead of really forcing myself to hold slower than 6:40, and actually decided to just run the last mile closer to threshold pace with a 5:53 final mile. My time was 1:25:04. This was a big confidence boost that 2:55-3:00 is the right range for my full.

Day Miles Description
      Mon 6.0 Recovery
      Tue 10.5 Easy plus strides
      Wed 15.0 7E + 5x1K VO2 + 4E
      Thu -  
      Fri 10.5 Easy plus strides
      Sat 17.5 4E + HM at MP
      Sun 6.5 Recovery
      Total 66.0 Rolling 12 Week Average: 52.3 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mmmmm...beer

Here's my week, didn't get as many doubles in, so the mileage dropped off a bit, actually works out with switching races and starting my taper two weeks earlier.

10/15/2017 Run Long 20.0 mi 2:36:43 7:50

10/14/2017 Run MLR 11.2 mi 1:22:50 7:25

10/13/2017 Run GenAerobic 5.0 mi 44:06 8:49

10/11/2017 Run MLR 10.0 mi 1:20:42 8:05

10/10/2017 Run Default 11.1 mi 1:24:54 7:40

10/10/2017 Run GenAerobic 9.3 mi 1:23:44 8:58

10/9/2017 Run GenAerobic 5.0 mi 41:07 8:10

Total: 71.7 miles

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

flashinthepan

Good morning everyone. I am coming over from the sub 2:45 rw thread that was abandoned. Thanks for taking some of us refugees in. For those that don't know me, I ran a 2:39 marathon last December to finish in 2nd place in the St Jude marathon. After taking some time off I am back and trying to crack to 2:35 barrier this year at the same race. My training has gone pretty well so far and I am excited for my race in 7 weeks.

This was one of my best training weeks ever. It was my first time ever cracking the 100 mile barrier, and I believe my first time ever running more than IAM. That is a success all on it's own. I had a solid Mile Repeat workout on Monday, I slightly increased my tempo run pace for 8 miles, and finished off the week with a solid 22 mile long run. This week was everything that I needed it to be.

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 15, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 15.2 6:26 8x1 Mile @ 5:26, 400 recovery, 3 wu, 2 cd 152 (78%) strava
          Mon 3.7 7:05 Evening Recovery 145 (74%) strava
          Tue 10.2 7:30 Bleh 135 (69%) strava
          Tue 3.3 7:00 Recovery - stomach feeling better 143 (73%) strava
          Wed 14.1 6:15 8 Mile Tempo @ 5:48- New Shoes 157 (81%) strava
          Wed 4.0 7:28 Stroller jog 143 (73%) strava
          Thu 12.1 7:12 Morning Run 136 (70%) strava
          Thu 4.2 7:30 Double Stroller Jog 145 (74%) strava
          Fri 12.2 7:12 12 Relaxed- Felt tight 142 (73%) strava
          Sat 22.2 6:12 17 Relaxed - Then Push 5- Felt GREAT!!! First 100 Mile Week 155 (79%) strava
            101.2 6:47      
          iamdisappoint

weatherboy: Props for even attempting to train for a marathon FL. Yikes.

threeDB: I have completely abandoned the strength training, actually. I had a weird pull in my lower abdomen that I was worried might be a hernia. I saw a doc for it in May, and he couldn't find any evidence of a hernia, and we talked through the lifting + running. He eventually shrugged it off. I noticed that various core exercises seemed to bother it, so I started doing those more infrequently, and eventually tailed off to nothing. I don't think I've done anything but run and stretch since July or so. I'd like to get back to it after Richmond.

Great stuff on that 3x1mi!

kram: Smart move to not push to hard on the 10m @ 5:49 target. Is that what you're trying to hit for HMP?

paul: Regarding coach vs. power meter: they're a bit hard to separate at this point. The coach has done some things that I wasn't smart enough to figure out on my own. The easiest example is VO2 work: I've always tried to do VO2 work daniels-style in the past, with relatively short recoveries. He's had me do much longer intervals with longer recoveries, which gets me the same time in zone and seems to work much better for me. In retrospect, this totally makes sense, but I didn't figure it out on my own. He's also been good about helping me to push my training to the far ends of the spectrum: easy days really easy, hard days really hard.

The power meter has been very useful for letting me see that some failed workouts aren't as failed as I think they are if I just judge them on pace. Because some days (especially when there's a lot of cumulative fatigue) one is worse at turning power into pace, the PM lets me see that I'm generating sufficiently high watts, I'm just doing a crap job that day of turning it into speed. (Aside: this is called "running effectiveness", is measured in meters/sec / watts/kg, and it's one of the more important metrics.) This has helped me not freak out about missing a pace target. In past cycles, going just by pace, if I missed the target, I'd double down on hitting the target the next time around, and put myself in a hole. The PM definitely helps with avoiding that outcome, because it's easy to "see" the work, even on days when the results don't look good at first blush.

I do think it'd be useful even in the absence of the coach - I'm very much looking forward to racing by power. But I'm clearly maximizing the utility of the device by working with someone who understands training by power way better than I do.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

iamdisappoint

flashinthepan: Yes, I'm glad you showed up here! That week is amazing, and it's been super-impressive to see how well you've adapted to higher mileage. Are you going to attempt to hang out around 100mpw for a while before tapering?

iamdisappoint

threeDB: For Sunday in Lowell, I see this: 8AM T: 51 DP: 39, 11AM T: 65 DP: 44.  That's TDP 90 (!) at the start, and 109 3 hours later. This is actually totally fine, isn't it? Doesn't look like you'll get over TDP until 10AM anyways. I'd take that right now for Richmond.

flashinthepan

IAM-  Yes, that is the game plan. Last year I only averaged about 64 miles a week, so I when I got to 90 this year I tried to hover there for a bit. But now that I have hit 100, I would definitely like to stay there. Obviously that is all dependent on how my wife and 3 kids react to the extra mileage. I've actually been surprised at how well my legs have handled the mileage. If anything, they feel far better than they have in the past. Knock on wood that it all continues.

iamdisappoint

IAM-  Yes, that is the game plan. Last year I only averaged about 64 miles a week, so I when I got to 90 this year I tried to hover there for a bit. But now that I have hit 100, I would definitely like to stay there. Obviously that is all dependent on how my wife and 3 kids react to the extra mileage. I've actually been surprised at how well my legs have handled the mileage. If anything, they feel far better than they have in the past. Knock on wood that it all continues.

Yeah, the magic of mileage is that it teaches your body to recover faster. Just be sure to be super in-tune with how you're feeling, and don't be afraid to fall back a bit if you're getting run down. I think it took me 2-3 cycles before I really got the intensity right at higher mileage. If I were doing those cycles again, I'd take more down days, skip some workouts, etc. Live and learn.

Andres1045

Mikkey - way to get it done when you're far from your ideal spot (in terms of training and the shape you've been in recently).  Did it turn out as hot as they feared?

ThreeDB - I like the goal.  After breaking 3, I'm not nearly as motivated to try and crack another time barrier. And I'm very hesitant to set an ambitious goal that will cause me to burn out in training.  Setting a 1/1 corral placement goal is much more likely to cause me to push it in training than getting under 2:50 or something like that. 

JMac - I'm excited to see how you do in NYC.  I think your training style of having a lot of runs at 10mi or over will do you well.  Definitely run a smart race, but try to figure out when and where will be best to push it a little.

Flash - 22 at 6:12 at under 80% HR?  That's nutso.

Weatherboy - We just got some coolness come through here today.  Woke up to 62F and about 60%RH.  Hopefully that heads your way.  Great week, by the way.

Kram - so you did 1 or 2x 10min@5:49? I hear you on the stamina lacking right now.  That was the big takeaway from my half last week.  I'm off on the pace that I want, sure.  But I feel confident I have time to get that down.  More important is being able to hold the intensity over the full 13.1 miles.  I still have plenty of time before January to work on that though.

IAM - If that coach says take two rest days, take two rest days.  He's managed to have you running a ton more quality than before, faster, and has kept you in one piece.  Listen to him!

My week was nothing exciting.  I didn't really do much running until Thursday when I finally woke up in Houston after my quick trip to London then Mexico City.  I'm hoping for the cooler weather to start sticking around more consistently.  Saturday was still horrendous with a morning at about 78F and 95%RH.  I'll get back to the 60s for my weekly mileage and stay in that area for a while.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Oct 09, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 15, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Wed 3.4 11:30 Morning Run 128 (66%) strava
                      Thu 6.0 7:57 Morning Run 137 (70%) strava
                      Fri 8.0 7:57 Morning Run 142 (73%) strava
                      Sat 11.4 7:44 Morning Run 156 (80%) strava
                      Sun 6.0 8:10 Morning Run 142 (73%) strava
                        34.8 8:16      

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andres - It wasn’t too bad actually...about 14c at the start and rising to 18c finish...post race in the afternoon was 21c which was nice!  Weirdly my Garmin 305 lost signal at mile 15 and never came back. It wasn’t  a problem though as I ran with the pacers...well, up until 39k. 

Thanks for the support folks!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

IAM:  With our weather that is the reason I picked a Jan marathon for my goal race as the bulk of the heavy training load wouldn't start until mid Oct.  We are just behind on our typical dry season start.  It will be here eventually.

JMAC: So far so good with the Daniels Q2 type stuff.  I have had to cut a few miles here and there and adjust my T pace a bit to account for the heat, but I think the key is that you get 2-3 days easy or recovery in between.  Hopefully that continues through the cycle.  I'm excited to see what I can do in the 1/2 right now if the weather breaks.  The first HM will come Nov 5, but if it looks warm/humid I may fall back to a solid MP effort since I have another 1/2 scheduled around Thanksgiving, which "should" be cooler.  BTW, nice looking week and MP race effort.

Andres:  No real sign for a really pattern change just yet.  With the high pressure ridge sitting to our north we have been stuck with onshore flow here in central FL.  With water temps in the mid 80's our evenings simply don't cool down any and we are stuck with high humidity.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

weatherboy80

Not sure what happened - sorry about the duplicate post ..

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Some really nice stuff going on.

Flash nice  to see you on here.  This guys an animal.  I grind pretty well but your a like a Ferrari out there.

For anyone one that cares the altitude conversions about 20 secs per mile up here.  As for what it’s like at sea level after being up here the most noticeable thing is just how much harder you can push without feeling fatigued.  Whereas up here it’s like driving with the parking break on and if you go out to aggressively in a workout you will fail it.  Which has led to 3 WO s that I’ve had to cut short.  It’s taken some getting used to.

IAM I’m completely on board with you running an easy 3 miles on a SRD the blood flow alone speeds up the recovery process.  My coach has me shakeout pretty much 5 times a week In afternoons  and it helps a ton.

I love when I see guys take on a lot of Dr Jack s stuff. He will get you fit fit fit.  I ran some really good TLT s over previous cycles.  Gives you a ton of confidence when your hammering fast threshold stuff 22 miles Into a run.  So good luck to you guys the blended workouts are a monster later in the cycle. So enjoy those

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Flash: Welcome, great to have you here! You've got some serious talent; that week is incredible. Your marathon pace is faster than my 5k pace!

We keep getting faster and faster folks joining here. Before long Kipchoge will start posting 

2:52:16 (2018)