2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

Andres1045

iamdisappoint

I have completely abandoned the strength training, actually. I had a weird pull in my lower abdomen that I was worried might be a hernia. I saw a doc for it in May, and he couldn't find any evidence of a hernia, and we talked through the lifting + running. He eventually shrugged it off. I noticed that various core exercises seemed to bother it, so I started doing those more infrequently, and eventually tailed off to nothing. I don't think I've done anything but run and stretch since July or so. I'd like to get back to it after Richmond.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I had what appears to be a similar issue.  Dec of 2015 I got a strange pull in my lower abdomen, just right of center.  Felt it during warm up, but not really after a mile or so.  Felt it when lifting and doing any core work.  Doctor quickly ruled out hernia, but said to back off of the lifting/core stuff.  March of 2016 I had my hamstring issue, which the doctor seems to think is related somehow.  Either way, I didn't do any core until after this year's Boston.  Decided to just start doing core work again. Powered through the discomfort for a few weeks and then it went away. And yet the hamstring issue still lingers...

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - Is there a Google Sheets link for everybody's upcoming races? I'm totally lost now without that sheet as to where everybody stands.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Andres - Is there a Google Sheets link for everybody's upcoming races? I'm totally lost now without that sheet as to where everybody stands.

I just threw up a link on the first post.  Sorry about that.  I was hoping to figure out how to make the sheet appear in the post, but didn't get too far.  I tried to update it, but I know I failed to add some people.  If I have missed you, can you remind me again of your race and your PR so I can put it up there?

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh sorry I didn't see that last line that the "here" was hyperlinked.

I just threw up a link on the first post.  Sorry about that.  I was hoping to figure out how to make the sheet appear in the post, but didn't get too far.  I tried to update it, but I know I failed to add some people.  If I have missed you, can you remind me again of your race and your PR so I can put it up there?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

paul2432

Andres - Please add me to the spreadsheet - Tucson Marathon - December 9th - PR 2:58:20 - Goal 2:48:59 (MM)*

Looks like I'll be the last race of the year - hopefully folks will stick around.

*FYI - For those of you not from Runner's World, we had a thing there called a Moose Mug, which is a marathon in 2 hours plus your age (+20 minutes for women).  There is a guy named Ray Bentley who will make you an engraved mug if you make this time.

flyrunnr

3DB - Welcome! Good luck at Baystate!

Rovatti - I’m going to make a better attempt to meet you this time in NYC, arriving on Friday then heading to the Expo, can meet you Fri/Sat at JackRabbit or CP for a shakeout or ?

Mikkey - that’s a solid performance off of 4 days per week, shows you have a good bit of ‘talent’. I’ll be watching your journey to MM closely, as I’m still getting faster and older. Smile

Jmac - We’re still taking applications to join the group to cross the half at 1:29 in NYC. We’d love to have you!

IAM - impressive week especially that monster LR! Thanks for the insights about training using power.

Weather - Congrats on hitting the 80 mark, nice mileage considering the lack of fall weather.

Cinnamon - I’m pretty sure moving counts as a cross training day!

MarkyMark - enjoy your taper!

Paul - 6:23 avg pace for a hilly  10 mile race, mid-cycle, during a long run shows some good fitness.

Dtt2nd- enjoy your taper!  Good luck with the sub-3!

Posting last weeks...

Weekly Summary (14 of 18 for NYC)
              Monday, Sep 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 01, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 4.0 11:11 Lunch - 4 Easy TM strava
              Mon 4.1 8:52 Afternoon - 4 Easy TM strava
              Tue 2.0 8:46 Morning - W/U strava
              Tue 7.0 6:45 3x2@MP-10 w/ 0.5 jog recovery strava
              Tue 2.0 10:21 Morning - C/D strava
              Wed 4.0 8:10 Morning - 4 Easy strava
              Thu 5.0 8:52 Morning - 5 Easy strava
              Thu 10.0 7:52 Afternoon 10 Easy strava
              Fri 8.0 8:48 10 Easy toward Betzwood strava
              Sat 10.0 8:11 Morning - 10 Easy strava
              Sun 18.0 8:02 LR - 18 mi: 15 Easy, Last 3 @GMP strava
                74.1 8:22

Weekly Summary (15 of 18 for NYC)
              Monday, Oct 09, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 15, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 8.0 8:51 8 with strides on the 'mill strava
              Tue 11.3 7:37 Back to the grind - 2 w/u; 3x2@MP-10 (effort) w/ 0.5 jog; 2 c/d strava
              Wed 4.0 10:31 Night Run - walk/jog while watching TV strava
              Thu 15.0 7:13 Bloody nipple run - 2 wu; 2x5@GMP w/ 1mi jog; 2 cd strava
              Fri 7.0 9:14 Lunch Run strava
              Sat 20.0* 4:46 Evening Ride* - Bike Trainer (XT) strava
              Sat 7.0 9:11 7 Easy TM strava
              Sun 18.0 7:56 18 with 8x3:00@GMP/2:00 jog strava

20.0*

6:25

1:03

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

iamdisappoint

Upcoming race: Richmond on 11/11. PR is 2:47:56 from this year's Boston. Tentative Richmond goal is 2:39.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

watsonc123

So you were not badly affected by the heat? I remember on RWOL there were guys running 30-40 minutes off PR, despite having a good cycle.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

iamdisappoint

So you were not badly affected by the heat? I remember on RWOL there were guys running 30-40 minutes off PR, despite having a good cycle.

I was definitely affected, but managed to avoid taking as much of a hit as some others, I guess. I'm small (5'6", 130), and the bigger you are, the more heat affects you. I also did RWOL user kayry's sweat runs the Friday and Saturday before the race. Put many layers on, run on a TM in an unventilated environment for 45-60 minutes, and attempt to lose ~3% of bodyweight in sweat. This isn't pleasant, but causes your body to temporarily store more plasma, which is useful for a hot marathon. 

I was probably in 2:43-2:44 shape too, so I definitely lost something to the conditions.

Swim5599

Watson I’ve been on these forums for several years and I rank IAM s Boston performance given the conditions just behind Patrick’s epic 2:39 in Berlin.  He will tell you  it’s not as impressive as that but for what it’s worth I was also in 2:43 shape and I ran 3:12.  And what made it even better was what he had to push the last 0.4 miles in order to get under 2:48.  Just super inspiring stuff.  What he lacks in size he more then makes up

for with guts.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

iamdisappoint

I appreciate the compliment, but you'll need to bump me down at least one spot: the donut master himself ran 2:45 at Boston last year!

finbad

Hi Folks, been staying away due to hurts - posterior tibial tendon nonsense. Any rehab tips gratefully received.

well raced Mikkey

Maybe for staying up to date on everyone's races we could just have our upcoming races in our signature lines, save Andres a job of updating a list and saves referring back?

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

parisbk

Hi everyone, another defector from RWOL.

I was AWOL from there for a couple weeks as I was in vacations and then started a new job that was really time consuming. I just had time to lurk one day when I saw Andres talking about  this website right before they shut it down over there.

I finally have a bit of time to post here,first of all to thank all the sub3 guys from the RWOL forum. I ran Chicago 10 days ago and finished in 2:54:42. There is a great deal of knowledge on that old forum and here now that helped me get that 15 min PR. If I find some more time, I'll try to write another bio. I don't think I kept the one I put in RWOL somewhere.

Quick race recap on Chicago. I was following some variation of Daniels 2Q for 18 weeks, with not so much mileage compared to some posters here but definitely a bump from my previous cycles, stayed most of the weeks between 45 and 60. My last workouts, races at the end of summer were pointing to 2:53 shape but my last 5 weeks, I didn't get any workout in and not much mileage, as I was traveling in Europe and then starting a new job with a huge project deadline right before the race so it was just easy miles where I could fit them.

Weather was a little hot for Chicago so I decided to shoot for 2:55. I was glad it was an easy pace to check (6:40) and that I had a pace band. I always run with autolap on, so I was worried I would forget to split manually the miles, as the GPS goes crazy downtown in Chicago but I did all the splits, except mile 26.

I remember holding back the first couple of miles, trying to always stay close to the tangent(that was not really visible by the way), conserve my energy as I knew it was gonna be hot. Got my gels at 7,14 and 21. Got some water and gatorade every stop, dumping water on my head too. Got through the half in 1:27:06, a bit fast but the first few miles, it was really tough to find the right pace.

I started noticing around mile 17/18 that I wasn't sweating as much anymore, I started to feel the heat.

Around mile 20, there was this guy that was running next to me (we kept passing each other) pretty much the whole race, that started to speed up, or at least, wasn't fading. So i decided to stay with him. We passed a lot of people there, mile 24 we were still together but then on that long straightaway, I really started to struggle to stay behind him, could feel my legs starting to cramp.

I was really fighting to stay on pace, battling thoughts like "relax you got sub3 , just jog it in. Who cares if you do 2:55 or 2:57?".

As I saw the 800m to go, I started to open my stride, ok this is it, 2 laps around the track and you are home. 300m to go, you turn and there is a 100m incline. I didn't know about that, I was like "wtf??? who does that?", started to swear and laugh nervously. I pushed the last 200m to make sure the clock read 2:54Tight lippedx  as I was passing the line.

So pretty happy with the result given the weather and my workload the last 5 weeks of the cycle. I feel like I settled for the right goal time and executed very well.

I haven't run again yet, as I had some weird pains in my right leg last week. I ahve benn rolling a lot and it feels better. going to try to get some easy miles today andthe rest of the week.

I  have a bib for NYC, so if I feel like I can run it without injury, I might see some of you there. I saw that some plan to get through the half in 1:29. I'll let you know if I feel recovered well enough for that, could be fun.

Just wanted to post this to thank the sub3 guys from RWOL again, as it was a great help and motivation to train through the summer, and hopefully as I start running more again and things start to settle at work, I'll start posting here again.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Paris - Congrats! I was wondering if you would make it over as we had pretty similar profiles and I was rooting for you breaking 3. Sub 2:55 is very impressive with a warm day in Chicago. It looks like you had great pacing and was even able to pick it up at the end. What sort of 2Q workout paces were you doing that made you feel confident in sub 2:55? I'd also give you fair warning on NYC: I know some people that have tried this with Chicago and NYC, and they rarely do well. If you ran a 2:54 as your PR, I think just cracking 3:15 would be an accomplishment. I'd also say that since you're not looking to PR, it's better to just enjoy the scene that is NYCM instead of trying to hit a goal time.

Fly - What corral are you starting out of? I haven't decided on goal pace but I'm pretty sure I want to hit the first half faster than 1:29 since the back is so much harder. I'm afraid a 1:29 will make it difficult for me to go sub 3.

Finbad - Sorry to hear about the injury. No real tips from me unfortunately for that area. I did have a stress fracture in my tibia during high school, but it sounds like you're dealing with something much lighter.

I totally agree with upcoming races in our sig line, I added mine recently line because it can get confusing to go back to the sheet for others.

Paris: Congratulations on the huge PR at Chicago! Given you did that with relatively low mileage you probably have room for significant further improvement.

2:52:16 (2018)