2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

Swim5599

Thanks all.  Regarding getting the MRI.  In some ways it doesn’t matter because I can’t run right now whether I get one or not.  So the doctor said possibly the pool in a week.  When he saw this type of stress fracture once before it was slow going and that was with the person being a pro runner and on crutches.  He gave me a test to use and basically says when that stops hurting you have another 4 weeks.  And “that” hasn’t stopped hurting.

Cinnamon I try not to hit Ben up for to much because I don’t want to feel like I’m bothering him even though he’s probably the most accessible person up here via social media which is saying a lot because they are all super friendly and accessible.  I might just ask the chiro instead.  It’s flagstaff one would think they would have a 70 Grand alter G at every strip mall gym.

Patrick and Strugglr clearly got together and some watering hole this weekend and decided it was time to rejoin the ranks.  Welcome gents.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm sure you Richmond guys saw this, but sending it out for the group:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/running/richmond-marathon/richmond-marathon-men-s-winner-disqualified-by-organizers-women-s/article_8deb3b0d-2883-5fd4-a611-033bcb367da5.html

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flyrunnr

JMac - I forget Squirrel's real name so I am not sure if he ran NYC. Maybe someone else would know.

I love that these races are doing a "Dopers need not apply" approach before the race, as nobody likes to see someone awarded the win after the fact, especially months or years later. I like that Peter Ciaccia was very open and public about it all. It looks like the process needs more work and maturity for some of these smaller races.

My monster week... M-Th, were SRD.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Nov 06, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 12, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Fri 5.5 8:55 Well, I guess I should start to run again.... strava
        Sun 3.0 14:10 Evening TM walk/jog strava
          8.5 10:47    

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

ThreeDB

swim sorry to hear.  you've been "out" for a few weeks before, and came back stronger each time - this will be no different.  and oh man just the thought of philly gets me going... maybe that should be next year's pilgrimage for the virtual team.  it gets a great turnout of fast folks to chase.

kramrunner

strugglr and patrick posting... mikkey joining strava, what is happening!

That some real great work by the Richmond marathon folks... enough integrity there to make me consider a fall marathon next year!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

flyrunnr

I'd love to see a good sub-3 contingent at Philly next year. It's a pretty decent and fast course, and the new RD is making improvements to make it even faster. The two recent changes were (1) moving the HM to Sat which made the course less crowded and eliminated the guessing of which people were going to duck out at at 13 miles and cut to the finish line for the HM, and (2) reducing the number of turnarounds. I believe this went from 3 T/A's down to 2 T/A's in the current course. MLK Drive (West River Dr) and Kelly Drive seemed freshly paved when I ran them over the summer. I know a few women looking for OTQ's and would be seeking a sub-2:45 time at Philly in 2018.

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Andres1045

I'd love to see a good sub-3 contingent at Philly next year. It's a pretty decent and fast course, and the new RD is making improvements to make it even faster. The two recent changes were (1) moving the HM to Sat which made the course less crowded and eliminated the guessing of which people were going to duck out at at 13 miles and cut to the finish line for the HM, and (2) reducing the number of turnarounds. I believe this went from 3 T/A's down to 2 T/A's in the current course. MLK Drive (West River Dr) and Kelly Drive seemed freshly paved when I ran them over the summer. I know a few women looking for OTQ's and would be seeking a sub-2:45 time at Philly in 2018.

I really like this idea.  I wish Houston would do something similar, but they are unlikely to ever do it.  I think usually there is something like 7,000 marathoners and 15,000 half marathoners.  They do merge back together at mile 23/24 of the full, but luckily it's on wide streets with a median.  All the half marathoners are on one side with the full marathoners on the other. They don't seem to get in each others' way. Nonetheless it would be nice to have them on two different days.  It would make the weekend even that much more fun. 

Mikkey, your strava debut was enough to bring Strugglr out of hiding.  That's awesome.

Patrick, so you'll be posting in 2 weeks after you run your first casual Saturday sub 3 LR?

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac - I forget Squirrel's real name so I am not sure if he ran NYC. Maybe someone else would know.

I looked him up.  He didn't run NYCM.  His last local race was Staten Island 1/2M in Oct.

Hey to DCV!

Andres1045

Hey to DCV!

I forgot dcv made a sighting too.  You going to keep the Boston streak alive?

Upcoming races: Boston

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

Thanks everyone for the kind words on Richmond. IAM kicked my ass and I don't think I'll make the Boston 1/1 cutoff but I gave all I had and squeaked out a long overdue PR. Now to figure out what's lacking in my training and keep hunting for that sub 2:45 and sub 2:40 (some day). I probably just need to do more pullups.

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

flyrunnr

Thanks everyone for the kind words on Richmond. IAM kicked my ass and I don't think I'll make the Boston 1/1 cutoff but I gave all I had and squeaked out a long overdue PR. Now to figure out what's lacking in my training and keep hunting for that sub 2:45 and sub 2:40 (some day). I probably just need to do more pullups.

Congrats on the PR!

Not sure about training, but as far as racing, you seemed to have more of that competitive spirit when you had DisplacedDingo always believing that he was going to beat you, but you always seemed to muster up the strength to shut him down in that last stretch. It was kind of like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. Always fun to watch, always good-spirited.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m sure everyone is thrilled to see Strugglr here, but it just feels weird that Dingo hasn’t joined him. They’re like fish+chips...you can’t have one without the other.

Strugglr - I think IAM kicked your ass because he runs a lot more miles than you. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim5599

It took 2:47:50 ish last year.  I wouldn’t count yourself out just yet.

As for for the dingo.  We had a discussion about time predictions for 4 people at Richmond last week.  I was off by a grand total of 90 seconds while he was off by close to 6 minutes.   I’m not the ilianama yet but I’m getting close ha.  The dingo on the other hand makes picks based on emotion.  I told him you have to be a cold blooded assasin in this game.

i missed IAM by 16.6 seconds if we are being exact. I can be the prediction guy on this thread seeing as how I can’t run worth a darn right now.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Swimanama!

The new pace expert on this thread. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I looked him up.  He didn't run NYCM.  His last local race was Staten Island 1/2M in Oct.

That doesn’t surprise me.  He’s had a few bad experiences at NYC and probably figured that he’s not really that good at marathons. 

I had arranged to meet squirrel at the NYC tent last year and I stood there for over 30min. He didn’t show up and I never got an apology or explanation  The annoying thing is that Cinnamon was also running and I could’ve had a chat with her which would’ve been much more fucking enjoyable.