2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

flyrunnr

USATF rules - I believe these rules are put into place for liability reasons rather than to prohibit unfair competition. In a recent experience, at Broad Street my friend won first female master based on gun time. The race web site said that all awards will be issued according to gun time according to USATF rules. She was awarded 2nd female master at the award ceremony and decided to contest it and wrote the race director. He replied and said we decided to not overturn the results because the other woman won based on chip time, and that's how we've awarded masters awards in the past. This was in conflict with the website rules and USATF rules. In the end, the other woman was 10 seconds or whatever faster, but my friend felt that if she saw the other woman in front of her, she would have chased her down and passed her.

Race directors hate to overturn things and disqualify participants unless there is overwhelming evidence that breaking the rules impacted the true outcome and integrity of the race. Doping evidence, course cutting, or blatant obstruction or tripping during a sprint to the finish, expect a disqualification, less than that it's unlikely.

I watched pros take outside refreshments (plastic water bottles) in a few of the recent WMM races, I forget which ones. I believe Amy and Shalane did in the Olympic Trials qualifier, as I remember Amy passing a water bottle to Shalane.

I've seen similar instances where people won awards while wearing headsets, if someone kicked my ass while wearing a headset when they were prohibited in the rules, personally, I'd probably feel "cheap" asking the race director to disqualify them, just so I'd get bumped up in the awards. I wouldn't judge if someone else did it. How would you feel?

Mark - nice week!

Sling - great race! Congrats on the PR! I commend your aggressive plan given the winds, and your effort was worth a sub-3 under different  conditions, no doubt. GPS is wacky on splits throughout the city, so I'd go with the course clocks for those first few miles. Along the river in Philly, the wind patterns can be very tough and inconsistent, you can usually use logic and think headwind on the way out, then tailwind on the way back, but not there. The wind circles a lot along the river because of the hills and altering terrain along the roads, and you can never really be sure what you will get. Just plan on headwinds all the time! 

Pacing on even splits vs even effort - The group that I pace for allows the pacers to decide how they are going to pace a race. They appreciate the volunteers, and simply look at the results. I tell my group to expect even effort throughout the race with a 15 second cushion time target, I believe it's more successful. I let them know at the start that we'll go slightly faster when we have a tailwind and on the downhills, and we'll go slower with a headwind and on the uphills. I communicate constantly through out the race, and let them know where we stand at key points throughout the race, i.e., "we're currently 15 seconds behind goal target and we'll make that up on the upcoming downhill miles to the river."

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Andres1045

re pacing and pace leaders - common sense is a good strategy.  Keeping super even splits on a course that's got some extreme fast/slow sections doesn't seem smart (like what Paul mentioned in the 5000ft drop course).  But otherwise, on a more typical course, I think even splits (except for the first mile or two being a tad slower), seems like the best idea.  Most people have their own best strategy for marathons.  If there's a better plan that's best for you, don't run with a pacer.  I like running with a pace group.  But more often than not, I leave them early because whatever it is they're doing, I decide it's not best for me.

I never really warmup for races half or longer.  I'll jog around a little bit sometimes, but usually you have to go sit in the corral 10 to 30 min before the start.  What's the point?

Sling, great result.  For going in to the race thinking you'd fade (which usually leads to a big fade), you didn't fade all that bad.  My guess is you'll get under at the next one.

Mark - I'm excited to see what you do in your half series coming up.  Glad you're getting in the running you really like.

JTReeves - Good to hear you've settled on the next marathon.  You've got an excellent base to really be able to hit it hard this cycle.

Matt - good looking week.  Didn't you say you're just getting back in to running?  Doesn't look like it from that.  I'll be in Charlotte tomorrow and doing the turkey trot Thursday.

Strugglr - I think you can still get under 2:40 with the cycles you've done.  Not sure if it was just the tri training or something else, but the lead up to Richmond seemed a little off from the other recent cycles you've had, so it's not surprising you "just" got 2:47.  Managing 2:48 two years in a row on crappy days, 48 hours after PR'ing in the 5k indicates to me that the training you were doing was working. I don't doubt that 90-100 mile average would help, but that kind of mileage isn't for everyone.

Upcoming races: Boston

Andres1045

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Nov 13, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 19, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
        Mon 8.0 8:02 Morning Run 140 (72%) strava
        Tue 8.0 7:57 Morning Run 137 (70%) strava
        Wed 7.4 7:46 4x1mile in 5:50; 46; 46; 44 148 (76%) strava
        Thu 4.3 9:18 Morning Run 122 (63%) strava
        Fri 8.0 8:02 Morning Run 139 (71%) strava
        Sat 16.4 7:40 Morning Run with Race Pace guys 155 (79%) strava
        Sun 8.0 7:47 Morning Run 144 (74%) strava
          60.1 7:57      

My hamstring had been starting to bother ever since my double race weekend a few weeks back.  So I scheduled a visit for the chiro Wednesday morning.  Just before that, I did a good 4x1mile workout.  The chiro worked on my leg a ton, and I left feeling quite sore, in a good way.  That soreness stuck with me.  I felt it a lot on Saturday, and just overall had a crappy run.  The weather didn't help as it was about 72F with over 90% humidity.  What's got me a little worried is I still feel the soreness in the hamstring, even on today's run.  I'm really hoping it clears up quickly.

Andres1045

Pacing on even splits vs even effort - The group that I pace for allows the pacers to decide how they are going to pace a race. They appreciate the volunteers, and simply look at the results. I tell my group to expect even effort throughout the race with a 15 second cushion time target, I believe it's more successful. I let them know at the start that we'll go slightly faster when we have a tailwind and on the downhills, and we'll go slower with a headwind and on the uphills. I communicate constantly through out the race, and let them know where we stand at key points throughout the race, i.e., "we're currently 15 seconds behind goal target and we'll make that up on the upcoming downhill miles to the river."

This seems like the best practice.  I think that's what has bothered me the most about pacers in the past.  Sometimes you get like 10 miles in and you start to realize that they're planning on a 5 min fade for the last 10k (that's an extreme example, but still).  Telling the group exactly what you plan to do gives them plenty of time to decide whether that's the strategy they want to follow or not.

I've been running less, and playing cycling video games more. And I seem to be getting fit quicker than usual. Though I haven't wrong longer than 10 miles (in a non-race since ~Labor Day). Probably do a 5k on Bird Day. Maybe get close to 20:00?

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
            Mon 24.0 3:03 1:13 Zwift - FTP Test 118 511 strava
            Tue 6.1 8:40 0:53 Morning Run 129 115 strava
            Tue 0.9 12:35 0:11 Morning Run 116 107 strava
            Wed 8.0 8:22 1:07 Morning Run 135 135 strava
            Wed 17.9 3:05 0:55 Zwift - 6wk Beginner FTP Builder Week 2 Day 1 - Foundation 114 370 strava
            Thu 14.5 4:17 1:02 Zwift - 6wk Beginner FTP Builder Week 2 Day 2 - Strength 110 1115 strava
            Thu 6.1 7:28 0:45 6mi SRC Run - Testing out Nike Flynit Zoom Streak 149 35 strava
            Fri 20.2 2:59 1:00 Zwift - 6wk Beginner FTP Builder Week 2 Day 3 - Foundation 106 262 strava
            Sat 25.6 3:10 1:21 Zwift - 6wk Beginner FTP Builder Week 2 Day 4 - Tempo 0 1043 strava
            Sun 3.7 9:55 0:37 Morning Run 123 0 strava
            Sun 23.0 3:38 1:23 Zwift - Bambino Fondo 130 2532 strava
              150.0 4:12 10:30     6225  
            mattw4jc

Matt - good looking week.  Didn't you say you're just getting back in to running?  Doesn't look like it from that.  I'll be in Charlotte tomorrow and doing the turkey trot Thursday.

Just getting back into marathon training. I took a break after Boston, but have been in the upper 30 & 40s miles per week for a few months. Plus biking ~130 mpw. And some strength training.

weatherboy80

Kram:  Great effort and way to pull through given the circumstances!

Andres:  Nice week even with the hammy issues.  4 X 1 mile looks pretty encouraging though.

JT:  Solid looking week.  Looking forward to seeing how this next cycle goes for you.

Sling:  Congrats on your race.  You easily be under 3 very soon.

Matt: Solid week overall!

Me:  Biggest mileage week so far in this cycle.  Really liked the 16+ mile effort on Wed that included some decent 6 X 1K intervals and then another 1.5 mile (uptempo) pacing a friend around the track.    Took advantage of the nice weather (around 60 for us) on Fri and ran another 20 min tempo within a 11 mile day.

Although during my EZ run this morning I noticed some discomfort in the lower part of my quad down near the medial side of my knee (not the knee itself so it's muscular).  Don't know when or how I tweaked it, but the pain (minor) never really went away either.  Still pretty sore afterwards.  Thinking it might be a slight overuse issue and that I'll need to back off for a few days. Maybe even x-train for a day or two.  Honestly thinking I might have done too much after my recent tough HM (warm/humid) 2 weeks ago.  I've hit 79 and 84 miles (with a few Q sessions)  in those 2 weeks so my body is probably telling me to hold on for a bit.  Better to take it a bit easy now then later.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                Mon 8.3 7:58 AM EZ strava
                Mon 4.2 7:32 Breezy Afternoon Run strava
                Tue 11.2 7:54 Checking out Lake Washington for the first time ever strava
                Wed 3.0 8:25 Warmup w Jon & Jen strava
                Wed 6.6 6:19 Breezy 6 X 1K w/ 2 min jog + 1.5 mi pacing Jen strava
                Wed 7.2 8:00 7E (16.7 total) including a few final laps w/ John & Holly strava
                Thu 9.2 7:36 Wind & Sideways rain 💨🌧 strava
                Fri 11.2 7:30 Nice weather w/ Jon (4E + 20 min Uptempo + 3.6E) strava
                Sat 5.1 7:51 EZ + strides strava
                Sun 18.1 7:43 Perfect weather for 18 E strava
                  84.1 7:40    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Miss 4 days, miss 50 posts. So difficult to catch up!

Sling - Great race in very tough conditions!

Aid - I fully agree with Fly's position on this stuff. Seems like a silly thing to worry about when there are so many other versions of real cheating going on.

Pacing - NYRR pacers are told to run even effort, which is somewhat subjective, but seems like the right way to do it. In general I don't trust pacers based on some of the splits I've seen, and I know the 3:00 pacer was way off in the NYC marathon because I was running 6:40 on the dot and yet I was with the 3:00 group for at least 2 miles on a completely flat stretch of highway.

Weather - You've put in some really big weeks recently and I think a break is a good idea. We all panic over a few days off, but you have the perfect mindset for these little niggles.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I wanted to discuss whether anyone completes true base building phases after a marathon. After NYC 2 weeks ago, I've effectively taken 2 weeks off. I'm going to spend the next 2 weeks getting back up to 60+. However, I have two different options:

1) Spend time base building with almost all easy mileage and strength work

2) Forgo base building since I've been running my most mileage ever during the marathon training and jump into half marathon training for the NYC Half in March.

Each choice to me has its pros/cons. Base building will certainly help build up some good mileage without any of the quality work to build a deeper aerobic base and more injury prevention, but it could be a waste of time and sacrifice training given the NYC Half is only 4 months away. I would say that I'm willing to sacrifice a bit for the half since it's going to be a difficult course and may be tough to PR. However, I don't want to build a base if it's just a complete waste of time since I've logged so many miles recently. I know most professional athletes actually complete their highest mileage during base and then cut back during marathon training so they can add quality work, but that doesn't apply to me here since my highest mileage was during training itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac - I had my best training cycle ever after going 2:53 in Wineglass 2010, 2:56 in NYC 2010. Doing basically:

1. 1 week off, 1 week of 12 miles (8-845 pace), 1 week off.

2. I went into NYC weighing 156. My first run after those three weeks I weighed... 171 lbs. Surprised

3. 4 weeks of HADD style base training. Weeks of 46, 56, 66, 49

4. 4 weeks of Canova style training. Weeks of 68, 69, 77, 63

5. Pfitz 12/85+ for Boston 2011. 

During the Pfitz cycle I ran:

1. 25k in 1:38:53 on 3/6 at end of 103 mile week

2. 4 mile race in 23:39 on 3/19

3. 10k in 37:10 on 4/3 (Boston was 4/18)

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

Slingrunner:  Congrats on the race! That wind was comical. Just holding it together on a day like that is a success.

JMac: NYC HM is a long way off. 17 weeks if I counted correctly. I think spending a few weeks running easy would be good to rest weary legs and make sure any niggles are gone. Do base building or just maintain a solid mpw. Then hit a hard cycle January 1. That would give a full 10 week cycle and 1 week taper for the race. IMO HMs require shorter cycles and tapers than FMs. Especially since you just completed a FM cycle and have built that endurance.

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

cinnamon girl

M: 8 mi (7:47)

T: 10 mi (7:41)

W: 40 min (8:38)

T: 0

F: 15 min w/u, 8 x 1k (3:34, 3:36, 3:41, 3:41, 3:41, 3:41, 3:41, 3:41), with 200m (~1:30 recoveries), 2 mi c/d

S: 6 mi (8:17)

S: 18 mi easy (7:56)

km workout: I knew after the first couple if I didn't slow down I wouldn't make it through 8. Amazing what just a few seconds does. I don't like doing a long run so close to a track session but I think this is the last time I see needing to do this.

Fly: bummer about the 8k. Master's should be chip time. I don't think it's appropriate for Masters runners to feel pressured to have to line up at the front getting in the way of top open runners.

Mikkey: I had wanted to PM you to see if we could meet at the start but I was too shy. We were probably very close to each other and didn't know it. It would have been fucking cool to have met you though.

JMac: I wouldn't spend too much time away from LT or tempo work. And keep some neuromuscular stuff going on too. I would say after you're fully recovered, enjoy doing what you like over the holidays and then get focused on HM after the first of the year.

Weatherboy: i like the little tempo after the kms. hope the quad clears up this week. Big miles!

Andres: hope that hammy clears up too!

Hope everyone has a good week - whether it would be running and/or with friends and family.

flashinthepan

Holy smokes! I just had to spend 30 minutes catching up on all the excitement in this forum. So much to discuss! First off:

Sling- Great race and congrats on the 8 minute PR! 8 Minutes is huge and getting so close to 3 hours is the type of thing  that keeps you coming back for more. Really impressive.

Pacers- I just don't feel like I could trust a pacer. And I (personal opinion) feel like I would prefer a pacer that ran even splits because they would be my barometer of where I was at in the race. If they are in front of me then I know exactly how far behind my goal I actually am. But if they slow down in parts and speed up in others, it is difficult to know where you actually stand. But then again, I don't trust pacers anyways.

Mileage- I'm definitely not the expert here, seeing as how this is only my 3rd real marathon. But I was able to run a 2:47 on roughly 50 miles a week in my first marathon. Marathon 2 I increased to 65 mpw and dropped my time to 2:39. This cycle I have increased again and am averaging 90 mpw and will find out December 2nd what improvement have been made. So far, I am a huge believer that mileage matters for improvement. But mileage also makes me feel like an old man as I am going to bed at 9:30 every night to be able to wake up for 4:45 runs. Pros and cons.

5k's- How did the races go this past weekend?

Everyone else- Fun to see so many people posting their workout and seeing improvements. Looks like we are in for a great spring!

flashinthepan

This was a good but not great week for me. I came off of my 1:14:18 half marathon and was expecting to have some serious soreness set in. Sunday I felt fine and Monday morning I felt good enough to just jump back into my normal track workout. The workout felt amazing as I did 4x2 Miles and averaged 5:23 pace. I feel like this was one of my strongest track workouts to date and it gave me even more confidence coming off a good race.

Wednesday was scheduled to be my 10 mile tempo day. Even during my warm up I was feeling off and about 3.5 miles into my tempo I decided to stop and do a systems check. Something just didn't feel right and I didn't seem to have any push or drive. I kept pushing to finish 8 miles of tempo ( with additional stops) and was very frustrated with what had just happened. First thing I did when I got back was jump on the scale. I immediately realized what had happened. I was 3 lbs lighter than when I normally finish my morning run. My nutrition had been rough the day before and I hadn't gotten nearly enough food or water throughout the day. i made sure to overdue it the next 2 days, and I felt great again for my Saturday long run.

Saturday was a strange weather day. 68 degrees at 5 a.m. with winds blowing around 20-30 mph. I did 5 easy, 5 hard (6:10 average), 3 easy, 5 hard (6:05 average), 2 easy. Put in 20 for the morning and felt great at the finish. It was my last long run of the cycle. With my race less than 2 weeks away I am just fine tuning and tapering. I did an 8x1 mile workout this morning @ 5:21 pace, and will do a 10 mile tempo on Wednesday to finish off my training.

​

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 15.1 6:08 4x2 Mile @ 10:46 (5:23 average) only 400 active recovery 155 (79%) strava
                              Tue 12.0 7:03 Cool morning run 139 (71%) strava
                              Tue 5.1 7:11 Evening Run 132 (68%) strava
                              Wed 8.1 7:05 Slept in- Easy 8 144 (74%) strava
                              Wed 6.1 7:24 Evening Run 136 (70%) strava
                              Thu 14.3 6:23 8 @ 5:55 pace 153 (78%) strava
                              Fri 12.3 7:14 Morning Run 143 (73%) strava
                              Fri 4.0 7:04 Sneaking out for a quick one 142 (73%) strava
                              Sat 20.1 6:28 5 easy, 5 hard, 3 easy, 5 hard, 2 easy- 30 mph winds- 68 degrees- CRAZY! 154 (79%) strava
                                97.1 6:45
                              DigDug2

Checking in to report on my sub-3 at Philly yesterday.  Quick background:  this was marathon #2 for me, but I've been running and racing shorter distances for most of the past 15 years.  Marathon #1, NJ in April, was not a good experience - shooting for sub-3, probably went out a little fast, held 6:40 pace through 19 miles and then slowed, cramped and limped to a 3:07.  Switched from Hansons to Pfitzinger 18/70 for Philly, following it pretty much to a T, averaging 63 MPW for the 15 weeks pre-taper.  Ran a 1:22:40 half on Oct. 1, which gave me a lot of confidence for a sub-3, but based on the NJ experience I was cautious.  Remaining training was OK and taper was decent – caught a cold at the beginning of the week but managed the symptoms and was feeling fine by the weekend.

As Sling said, conditions were windy, but temps were low 50s and rain stopped an hour before the gun went off, so I was mentally in a positive place at the start.  My plan was to run 6:45-6:50 pace with a goal of feeling decent at mile 20 and riding the tailwind home.  I saw the 3:00 pacer briefly at the start but got ahead of him, and when I hit the first mile at 6:49 I figured I was in a good place and just ran with the group that evolved around me.  I like the Philly course – good variety of scenery, downtown, residential neighborhoods, quiet loop through the zoo, and then the out-and-back in the second half along the river.  I concentrated throughout on not pushing – any time I felt like I was starting to work or dig I backed off and tried to just keep good form and a smooth, steady pace.  I hit the halfway mark in 1:28:18 – only 45 seconds slower than the first half of NJ, which made me a little nervous (since I ended up with a painful 12-minute positive split), but feeling fine.  Turning up river at 14 for the out-and-back stretch, the wind was a challenge at times, but I never felt like I was running into a sustained wind for a long stretch – it felt like the course was twisty enough and the winds were variable enough that direct strong headwinds were only intermittent.  I dropped one of my gels at some point along here, so had to grab one at the next aid station (including temporarily taking the ski glove of the kid handing them out).

I made it through the smell of the beer tables in Manayunk and got to the mile 20 turnaround feeling decent – I kept waiting for the suffering to start but at mile 20 my legs felt OK, my breathing was calm and my energy level seemed normal.  At this point, I had been fighting with my watch since the halfway mark and wasn’t really aware of my splits (missed some mile markers, and my GPS didn’t seem to be tracking well), but I checked my pace band (printed out for 6:50 pace, or a 2:59:10) and I was 60-90 seconds ahead of schedule.  Between the tailwind and feeling decent I was tempted to ramp up the pace, but I still had a lingering fear of blowing up and didn’t want to jeopardize the sub-3 so I told myself no pushing until I hit 24.  The last couple of miles were fun as the crowds got bigger and louder and I was confident that the wheels weren’t going to come off.  Finished with a nice long kick, feeling like an Olympian with the loud cheers – ended up with a 2:57:13, less than a 1-minute positive split, which is definitely the better way to feel at the end of a race.