2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

brad0985

Merry Christmas, everyone!

An easy week for me as I try to find the sweet spot between recovering from Dallas and staying in shape for Houston. Got 35 miles at a 7:47 average. Will ramp it up this week and then begin tapering, again.

Since most of you guys seem to be well below sub 3, I've got a few questions... What is your average annual mileage? And how much speed work are you incorporating outside of marathon cycles?

Hope everyone has a happy holiday.

paul2432

Brad - I’ll have around 3200 this year.  I only do one marathon every year or two.  In between I may do a 5K or 10K cycle to work on basic speed (and run a fast 5K).  I also like to do 30-45 second pickups year round (every 4-5 minutes or so) once a week to work on speed.

cinnamon girl

TN:  I agree - you were perfectly justified in your relatively conservative attempt to do some fast running. Results back?

Welcome Brad

Weatherboy: I agree sub 2:50 should be goal. Paces are there, consistency is there. Looks great to me!

JMac: how's the foot?

Mikkey: I totally understand why you do London! I would love to run it but I guess it's not possible for us Americans? Isn't it restricted or something? Maybe that's not true. I seriously haven't looked into that race.

Last 2 weeks

M: 13 mi (7:14)

T: 0

W: 0

T: 20 min easy (7:49), 1 x 1200m (4:16), 3 x 800m (2:53) with 400m (2:30) jog rec, c/d
        F: 12 mi (7:21)
        S: 0

M: 45 min TM
        T: 45 min TM
        W: 0

T: 0

F: 0

S: 16 mi (6:59) 1st 8 mi (7:13) 2nd 8 mi (6:45)

Obviously a couple more weeks of shit training but I continue to have my reasons. Ha. I got back out there today.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cinnamon - Thanks for checking in, reminding me of how bad I’ve been at posting!

Been almost all easy running, but foot is still bothering me. It really does migrate all over the place. I guess you could argue it started underneath the pinky toe before my marathon, but the real latest started in the big toe. Then, it crept up to the tendon between toes. Now it’s up near the ankle (top of foot though), although sometimes bothers me near middle toe. It feels like every couple of days, the pain is in different places. I’ve had this sort of traveling pain before in my hips, where I would get it in my glutes, adductor, flexors, etc. I’m not sure if this is even remotely related, but it’s really frustrating to have pain that travels this much. I figured out that the traveling pain in my hips was trigger points, which required injections and serious massage/rolling to get ride of. However, that’s really hard to execute on the top of the foot. It’s not like you can just roll the tendons between your toes, as there’s maybe an inch between the bones.

I really do think it’s a “fake” injury, but that doesn’t mean I’m not running without pain every day. Even walking around the house is frustrating.

I’m just keeping it easy for now. May go back to the doctor in the few weeks if it’s bothering me, but I sort of know what the outcome will be: imaging which shows nothing and physical therapy that will only a tiny bit. I wonder if there’s trigger point therapy for the foot (acupuncture?) that could help.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

JMac: stupid question probably but what about your shoes. Do they give plenty of wiggle room? Or you change styles? Just making sure you're not crunching your toes at all ..

weatherboy80

Merry Christmas everyone!

Nice week Brad - good luck at Houston!  Looks like I'll have close to 3600 for the year myself.  Biggest mileage that I've run in a year by a long shot (basically 2 marathon cycles) and hoping it pays off very soon Smile

Nice to hear from ya Cinnamon!

JMAC: Hope the niggle resolves itself very soon.  Can't imagine the frustration.

Here was my week (ending Sunday anyways).  I had my biggest workout of the cycle on Monday where I had 15 miles at GMP or faster.  Pleased that I was able to hit all my planned paces and even surprised with the pace on the last threshold rep.  Then had some slightly sluggish K repeats on Friday that were perhaps a few seconds slower than my predicted I pace based on recent race efforts, but that's to be expected after the mileage.  Finished the week with a nice steady progression LR on Sunday where I dipped it back into the 5:4x at mile 22 so that was nice to see.  Because of the two LR's I hit just over 100 miles for the week which means I've averaged 85-90 miles over the past 4 weeks.  Daniels actually has me slightly cutting the mileage a bit each week before the official taper begins.  Still some big workouts in the next 2 weeks though.  Race is 4 weeks from Sunday!

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Dec 18, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 24, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 21.1 6:45 Foggy 3E + 8M + 1T + 4M + 1T +1M + 3E strava
              Tue 12.1 8:23 Super EZ in the fishbowl w/ Jen & Jon strava
              Tue 4.3 7:23 PM EZ w/ strides strava
              Wed 10.3 7:47 This run was the Hi-Point of my week strava
              Wed 4.5 7:43 Working off the eggnog this week! strava
              Thu 8.5 7:58 EZ + strides strava
              Fri 5.0 8:22 Long Warmup (5E w/ strides) strava
              Fri 7.1 6:27 6 X 1K w/ ~2min jog + 4 X 400 strava
              Fri 1.2 8:05 Cool down w/ Jen & Jon strava
              Sat 5.1 7:57 Morning Run strava
              Sun 22.1 7:35 10E (w/ a pumpkin spice latte @ mile 7) + progression to T @ mile 22 #100 mile week 😰 strava
                101.3 7:33    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Weather super impressive.  Just wait til your late in the race and your just crushing it based off all those late LT miles throughout the build.

Cinnamon still some impressive runs.

Well got the Christmas wish of pain free running.  Got out there Saturday for 3 and have run everyday since.  In horrific shape and sore from the pounding but man what a lift to the spirits.  Gonna be a slow build up to about 90 or so prior to starting a marathon cycle in July.  They have a super competitive mile road race up in Flag on the 4th of July that I think I can probably run in about 5:10-5:15 or 4:50-4:55 equivalent.  Just happy as hell to be back out there.  Happy Holidays all.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Swim5599

Brad welcome.  As for yearly mileage.  When healthy I run a ton.  Was on my way to another 4000 mile year until the stress fracture.  The more mileage you can handle the faster you will be.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

kramrunner

Well got the Christmas wish of pain free running.  Got out there Saturday for 3 and have run everyday since.  In horrific shape and sore from the pounding but man what a lift to the spirits.  Gonna be a slow build up to about 90 or so prior to starting a marathon cycle in July.  They have a super competitive mile road race up in Flag on the 4th of July that I think I can probably run in about 5:10-5:15 or 4:50-4:55 equivalent.  Just happy as hell to be back out there.  Happy Holidays all.

Awesome news buddy and that's a solid patient build up you've planed there.

Happy Xmas all!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

cinnamon girl

I thought of you Swim on Christmas. I'm glad to hear you're able to be back at it !!

JTReeves- thought of you too.

'Holidays' can be rough. I enjoyed my morning by taking the rare opportunity of having the streets seemingly to myself and took a peaceful 9 mile tour through the city. It was nice.

Belated Merry Christmas everyone!

Swim: Great to see you starting back up; sounds like a good plan for a steady buildup.

Cinnamon: Even though not the training you wanted those weeks still have very strong runs in them. Thanks for thinking of me, the holidays are tough this year for sure.

Weatherboy: Amazing week! That Monday workout was just obscene and so was your LR at the end of the week, You're the main attraction here now; very excited to see you destroy that PR in 4 weeks.

JMac: That sounds frustrating; cannot hurt to look into acupuncture. Also the shoe point Cinnamon brought up. Hope you find a solution soon.

Kram: Congrats on the 5k win! Enjoy your time in Ireland!

Here's my week. The last 3 runs were in Michigan and the LR Sunday was in bitter cold. I probably should not have even run outside. My hands and face were numb for the last 5 miles of it. This morning it was -2 deg F (-19 deg C) and windy so the mill was the only option. I'll probably have to be on the mill all of this week...blah!

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                        Tue 10.1 8:24 Morning Run 716 strava
                        Wed 12.0 7:25 3 x 2 mi (6:07 avg), 0.5 mi recovery 777 strava
                        Thu 10.1 8:21 Morning Run 748 strava
                        Fri 10.3 7:40 Afternoon Run in MI fueled by Timbits 61 strava
                        Sat 10.1 7:55 Morning Run 67 strava
                        Sun 20.0 7:58 Long run 163 strava
                          72.6 7:57   2532  

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac: stupid question probably but what about your shoes. Do they give plenty of wiggle room? Or you change styles? Just making sure you're not crunching your toes at all ..

I’ve tried a few different shoes, hasn’t changed anything. If anything, the shoes I was running in when I first got this pain were a half size too big, but they were the third pair of the same type of shoe, so I can’t imagine they were causing the issue.

I went running today and had to shut it down. Although I’m not sure what this injury is, it’s certainly getting worse with running and I’ll have to take some time off. Pretty upsetting but not a bad time of year for it.

I’d also like to apologize for not posting more frequently and especially about the progress some of you are making this winter, just a bit down and out with the foot (all of you who have been injured can probably understand the lack of motivation for posting). I’ll probably be back in a few weeks. Good luck to those racing any time soon!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: I totally understand why you do London! I would love to run it but I guess it's not possible for us Americans? Isn't it restricted or something? Maybe that's not true. I seriously haven't looked into that race.

Unfortunately the qualifying places are for UK residents only which I’ve always found very strange...but there is the lottery which is open to everyone for 5 days at the beginning of May (386k runners applied for 2018 with approx 17k places)...slim odds, but nothing to lose!  That was a very impressive Sunday run! (you’ve still got it)

Weatherboy - Wow, you are keeping this thread alive with fantastic training and can’t wait to see a huge PR from you in 4 weeks time!

JT - Very nice looking week!

Swim - That’s great news!

JMac - Hopefully it’s nothing. I sometimes get “fake/phantom” pains during downtime and then it disappears when I start full on training again.

Andres - Thanks for taking charge of the thread/threads this year. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

tn_weather

Hey Brad - Good luck with Houston. Isn't that race soon?  Seems like I range from 2500-3100 when I'm not injured. I incorporate quite a bit of speedwork outside (and some inside) the marathon cycle because there are more races than just marathons!

cinnamon - I bailed on the Dexa scan. Figured I was being a worry wart. Americans are very restricted in London. Damn Yankees are too fast.

Jmac  - Hope that foot is feeling better.  Hey - it is tough to get on the forums and post when things aren't going well. I have the same problem. It is tough to listen to everyone crushing it when you can't run. It takes a certain amount of motivation to get on the forums and post and if I'm injured it just isn't on the top of my list. I tend to go in stalker mode. Anyway - don't beat yourself up over it.

weatherboy - Strong week. 15 miles @ mp!  Are you in the weather business?

swim - It is so good to see you back out running and off the bike. I heard some things about your cycling form and they are not pretty.

jtreeves - Solid mileage week. Epic LR in the cold. Here is to a New Year.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                              Tue 6.0 7:59 6 miles on the treadmill - still in one piece 0 0 strava
                              Wed 6.0 7:44 6 mile easy run 131 131 strava
                              Thu 6.0 7:39 6 mile easy run 133 216 strava
                              Sat 7.4 9:30 7.5 mile easy run mostly with the dw 115 91 strava
                              Sun 10.1 7:14 10 mile MLR 135 216 strava
                                35.5 8:00     654  

Things continue to move in the right direction. The little scare with some discomfort around the heel turned out to be nothing. Sunday's MLR was the first double digit run since 8/20 - when I cracked my heel. Good times.

cinnamon girl

Weatherboy: Amazing week! That Monday workout was just obscene and so was your LR at the end of the week, You're the main attraction here now; very excited to see you destroy that PR in 4 weeks.

+1