2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

cinnamon girl

Nice 3x2 JTReeves .. and solid week!

Thanks Mikkey .. I'll put the dates on my calendar and apply through lottery.

JMac - no worries. We all look forward to your return. Maybe all it'll take is a week off. I know that sounds like a lot but in the big picture it isn't.

weatherboy80

Thanks everyone - hoping that these Daniels workouts (and with nice race day weather for a change) pay off come 4 weeks for me.  Some of these workouts have been pretty tough, especially T pace stuff in the later stages after some decent mileage.  Pretty funny though as my easy runs the next few days tend to feel pretty crappy.  I guess that's recovery for ya! One more week above 90 and then will be slowly trimming back the next few weeks.

And yes as my screen name suggests I have a couple of college degrees in atmospheric science.  My job now isn't so much weather forecasting (a lost skill for me), but I do dabble in lots of numerical modeling on a day to day basis Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Hey Brad - Good luck with Houston. Isn't that race soon?  Seems like I range from 2500-3100 when I'm not injured. I incorporate quite a bit of speedwork outside (and some inside) the marathon cycle because there are more races than just marathons!

cinnamon - I bailed on the Dexa scan. Figured I was being a worry wart. Americans are very restricted in London. Damn Yankees are too fast.

Jmac  - Hope that foot is feeling better.  Hey - it is tough to get on the forums and post when things aren't going well. I have the same problem. It is tough to listen to everyone crushing it when you can't run. It takes a certain amount of motivation to get on the forums and post and if I'm injured it just isn't on the top of my list. I tend to go in stalker mode. Anyway - don't beat yourself up over it.

weatherboy - Strong week. 15 miles @ mp!  Are you in the weather business?

swim - It is so good to see you back out running and off the bike. I heard some things about your cycling form and they are not pretty.

jtreeves - Solid mileage week. Epic LR in the cold. Here is to a New Year.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Dec 18, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 24, 2017

Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
        Tue 6.0 7:59 6 miles on the treadmill - still in one piece 0 0 strava
        Wed 6.0 7:44 6 mile easy run 131 131 strava
        Thu 6.0 7:39 6 mile easy run 133 216 strava
        Sat 7.4 9:30 7.5 mile easy run mostly with the dw 115 91 strava
        Sun 10.1 7:14 10 mile MLR 135 216 strava

Things continue to move in the right direction. The little scare with some discomfort around the heel turned out to be nothing. Sunday's MLR was the first double digit run since 8/20 - when I cracked my heel. Good times.

My cycling Form?  As in its amazing haha

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

I’m not even going to hit 1650 miles this year. Ouch. Lowest mileage year since 2007. But I’m a beast in the virtual cycling world. Wink I did manage to run a 19:57 5k a few weeks back.

Happy new year to all.

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - bummer about the injury.  Hope you get it sorted.

I've been a bit lazy posting here too of late.  Mileage has dropped back over the last couple weeks into the 50-60km/week territory with a niggly ITB issue.  A few times I think I've got it sorted then it pops straight back.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I bought a couple of pairs of Steigen running socks last month and I’m really impressed with them...lightweight, comfy and they offer a Blister Free Guarantee!  https://www.steigen.com.au

I only log miles when I’m training for a marathon, but I probably ran about 2300 or thereabouts this year. (actually make that 3700km as that looks better)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

So how did everyone do with 2017 running goals? And what are the goals for 2018? I'll go.

2017 Goals: No injuries. Check. 3k miles. Nope. I should get 2750 miles if I can do 10 tomorrow. PR 5k. Check. PR FM. Check. Sub 2:45. Nope. Sub 17 5k and sub 2:50 FM in the same year. Check, 3rd year straight!

2018 Goals: I'll go for 3k miles again and no injuries. Sub 2:45 to get a Berlin 2019 Qualifier. PR the 5k. Continue having fun trash talking, battling, challenging, and betting a bunch of great athletes in this tough sport including some of you on this thread.

Happy 2018!!

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

cinnamon girl

2017 - I PRd at the one race I kinda targeted - 18:38 in the 5k in April. A PR at the 10 mi in 1:03:07 in September - which I didn't target training for  at all. And I got 1st Masters at the BAA Half in October as a training run.  Most important is I continued running, keeping me out of trouble.

2018 - Shouldn't that be in the new thread?

Thanks Andres for 2017!

weatherboy80

Before I forget - Happy New Year everyone.  Congrats to everyone on all your achievements.

JMAC - hoping the injury resolves itself very soon!

For me 2017 was the biggest and most consistent mileage I've put together.  Technically speaking I PR'd (sub 80 HM last winter and a low 17 5K in late October) in just about every distance I raced at even though as we discussed Boston was a tough day for a number of us.  Hoping my latest cycle concludes with something faster (well under 3) in another 4 weeks.

Here is my last training week of 2017.  Best workout was on Wednesday where I surprised myself with some peppy 2 mile repeats and ran the last 2 miles probably harder than I should have, but they felt pretty good at the time.  Finished it off with a nice hard LR (cold and windy) this morning that took quite a bit out of me with my recent mileage and workouts.  Hit over 90 miles for the week and will be shaving about 10 miles from my schedule next week as I start to round the corner into a taper.  It appears Daniels (and others) actually have your biggest volume at 4-6 weeks from race day.  Taper is gradual though.  Still some strong workouts coming, but the Q runs are getting quite a bit shorter it appears.  Think it will be best for no more 20+ until race day as I think I had 5 in December alone.

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Dec 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 31, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                    Mon 11.3 7:51 Merry Christmas! 17 strava
                    Mon 4.2 7:32 Sneaking in a few more miles 0 strava
                    Tue 10.5 7:47 EZ & a few hills + strides 296 strava
                    Wed 15.3 6:57 4E + 4 X 2 mi T (@ 5:46 avg) + 2.5E 0 strava
                    Wed 4.1 7:58 PM Recovery w/ Jen & Jon 6 strava
                    Thu 8.1 7:40 Hmmm - This felt fast for a recovery day? 16 strava
                    Thu 4.6 7:40 Running zone fun run 19 strava
                    Fri 10.1 8:20 Super EZ but extremely windy bridge repeats 456 strava
                    Sat 6.2 7:44 EZ + strides 17 strava
                    Sun 20.1 7:16 3E + 3.6 uptempo + 6E + 3T + 1M + 3.5E 38 strava
                      94.5 7:36   865  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

brad0985

Congrats to everyone on their 2017 accomplishments and hope you recover quickly jmac and mark. This was my "peak" week between Dallas and Houston but looks pretty wimpy next to weatherboy's week!

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/ff1b6005f360422683bcc2364e9fa034/workouts?e12=20

Got a total of 62 miles and was quite pleased with the intervals on the 29th. Did 6x800 and averaged around 2:50 (5:40 per mile). Will only get a little over 1900 miles for the year, but will be aiming for 2500 or so next year.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!

Swim5599

Weather awesome stuff man

strugglr.  Really good year buddy

2017 goals:  I PR d in the half last October, thought I could run 2:43 in Boston in April  not even close, I thought I was in 2:42-2:43 shape for Richmond and DNS d.  I survived a horrific car accident which is a plus.  A very difficult year personally and psychologically.  Happy to be back running at this point.  As for 2018 goals we will see.  Nothing set in stone at this point.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Happy New Year everyone!

TN Weather: Nice week last week.  Good to see the build-up is progressing smoothly!

Cinnamon: 1st Master at BAA half is huge; you should be proud of that. Also nice 5k and 10 mile PRs.

Strugglr: PRs in the 5k and FM looks like a great year to me, nice job.

Weatherboy: Another great week. Those 2 mile reps were smoking! And nice year for you. Your increased mileage and consistent training should pay off big in 2018.

Swim: Despite the rough year personally you had amazing training cycles. 2018 should be a big year for you.

2017: Ran my first Boston, which was a great experience since I met many of you there, but was too damn hot for me for a PR. I had a good cycle leading up to Boston, and an even better one leading up to my fall FM but my dad passed away a couple weeks before and I DNSd. So no marathon PR this year. On the positive side, I broke 18 min for the 5k in a track time trial, which was a big improvement over the previous year when I broke 19 min for the first time. Also it was the most mileage at 3067 for the year. Last year was about 2500. Looking forward to starting a new year.

Here is my last week. All treadmill running.   It was frigid outside and I got a cold a few days ago, and did not think running in those conditions would help in getting over it. Looks like I'll be on the mill most of this week as well. Hopefully I can get outside next weekend.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Tue 10.0 7:58 Morning Run on TM strava
                          Wed 14.2 6:56 TM: 2x3 mi, 2x1 mi @ 9.8 mph (6:07 pace) strava
                          Thu 6.2 8:06 Recovery run on TM strava
                          Fri 8.1 9:17 Afternoon Run on TM, 10 mi but foot pod battery died strava
                          Fri 2.0 7:59 Missing miles from TM strava
                          Sat 10.0 8:01 Another run on the TM strava
                          Sun 22.4 7:13 Long run on TM: 80 min easy + 80 min @ 9.2 mph (6:31 pace) strava
                            72.9 7:43    

2:52:16 (2018)

tn_weather

Happy New Year!

Jmac - +1 what cinnamon said.  I lost 2017 in part to being impatient.

cinnamon - Congrats on the BAA win!  Holy cow I missed that.

mark - Hope the IT issue settles down

weatherboy - Awesome week. You are really rolling. Sub 3? lol That would be complete sandbag job. Better be a lot faster than that!

strugglr - Congrats on a great year. That 2:45 is right around the corner.

swim - A tough year to say the least. You'll be stronger for it in 2018.

JT - That is a lot of treadmill running. You have laid a great foundation for 2018.

2017 - Goal - get healthy. After about 14 months I think I can check that one off. (fingers crossed).

2018 - Nothing set in stone. Would like to run St Jude in the fall. We'll see.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                            Tue 7.1 7:15 7 mile easy run 136 177 strava
                            Wed 7.1 7:13 A cold 7 miler 125 170 strava
                            Thu 7.1 7:11 This ain't Aruba 137 272 strava
                            Sat 8.0 7:40 8 miles on the mill 0 0 strava
                            Sun 11.0 7:28 11 mile MLR 0 0 strava
                              40.3 7:21     619  

I was hoping to get to 40 mpw by the end of the year. Running felt a lot better/smoother this week. My calves have finally started to come around. Once I get to 50 mpw I might start making some plans. Looking forward to 2018!

weatherboy80

Thanks TN Weather:  concur about being much faster than sub 3, but I've had back luck in the weather department come race day 😉 GMP will be in the mid to low 6:2x range and I'll go from there.  Good looking week yourself as you build back up!

JT:  pretty big week yourself!  Some of your workouts are suggesting low 2:5x range and its early!

Andres1045

I'm ages behind at this point...sorry to end the thread year slacking off!  But really, who's going to start the new one?

Weatherboy - your cycle has been incredible.  I really hope the weather works out for you.  But if it doesn't, please, please, please target a race that has more consistently good weather next time!!!

JTReeves - you're cycle is coming along great too.  I hope you get some good races in before your full, but I guess winter kind of prevents that?

Swim - I'm really happy that you're back at it.

JMac - I've had similar pains in my foot (on and off) for about a year, and I know exactly what you mean about wanting to stick a needle in it to try to relieve some of the tightness.  From my limited experience with acupuncture, it doesn't work that way, however.  Acupuncture treats energy channels in your body, and not directly the affected area.  So the needle that fixes your foot could be placed in your hand.  Dry needling, on the other hand, does take a needle directly to the affected area.  Dry needling works really well when my hamstring knot gets too out of control.  I wonder if there's a podiatrist that does dry needling?

Brad - Welcome!  I'm really hoping we get good weather for Houston (I'm doing the half).  It's a good course and it'll give you a good chance to go sub3, even though the back-to-back is a tough task.  Good luck!

tnweather - Great to hear you're back at it too!  Fitting 40 in to week seems like a sign that you're well on the other side of your injuries.  I hope you stay there.

OnceaDCV - You going to get back to the big mileage this year?  Any luck getting a Boston bib?

Mikkey - Why haven't I seen a Strava notice letting me know you're following me yet?

Strugglr - I'd call that a successful year! Have you topped 3k before? I think I'll go for 2,600 this year (my 2015 total) and also I'd like to have a minimum of 200 per month.

As for my year, I had the lowest mileage in the 3 years that I have taken running seriously (~2,270), but I managed to PR at the marathon.  I thought I'd get some PR's in some shorter races, but that just didn't happen.  My current theory is that I need to get back to the weights (which I haven't really done since June) and work on core and leg strength.  I feel like aerobically I'm in better shape than I have ever been, but between skipping the weights and all my niggles, my legs just don't have the ability to push too hard.

I've had a blast the past 2 weeks with the family, but my running has been crap.  I got a decent 3x2mi workout a couple of weeks ago (11:58; 11:59; 12:11), but then totally crapped out on a 4x1.5 workout this past week, skipping the last two intervals because things went so poorly early.  I've kind of let slip any real goal of PRing in the half (pr is 1:19:20), but will still give it my all.  After that I'll have a couple of down weeks, and then try to really go for it so that I can put up something decent on a nice and sunny 75F April Monday in Boston.

Upcoming races: Boston