Hamstring hurts at insertion (Read 889 times)

aes

I have slight pain in my hamstring but not the muscles right behind the knee. The discomfort is up near my buttocks, and feels a little bit deep. I just took 5 days off, stretched, iced, etc. I ran this morning and felt the discomfort for about 1.5 miles but then it somewhat lessened. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to take off any more time because I'm training for a marathon on the 7th of October and need to worrk up my mileage. Should I just continue to stretch and ice and see how it goes?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What kind of stretching are you doing? When you press on the painful part, does it make you hurt, or can you not reproduce the pain with pressing?
      aes

I've been doing a stretch where you put a towel on the arch of the foot and pull slowly down. It's an area that seems hard to stretch but if I slowly move the towel in certain directions I can feel it stretching. It's not really painful, it's more just a discomfort and I know that it's not supposed to feel that way. I am also doing a stretch where I put one leg in front of the other and bend over to touch my foot and then slowly pull back. And to answer your last question, when I try to press on the area, I don't really feel anything, no pain. It's not until I run that I start to feel it or at certain times if I'm bending a certain way, etc. Do you have any advice?
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My only concern is that if you cannot press on the painful spot and reproduce the pain, and it is hard to make it feel like it is stretching, it could be your hip joint instead of a muscle or tendon. Your stretches sound correct. You may also want to look up piriformis stretches, as that may be the problem, but I would consider getting this checked out.
          vicentefrijole

I'm NOT any kind of stretching expert, but I wonder if you can stretch it by (CAREFULLY) putting your leg up on a bench or table (about waist high) and doing a hamstring stretch (VERY CAREFULLY) in that elevated position? When I do that it seems to stetch the area you talk about... but be very careful... if it's already injured, stretching might not be the solution. I also think Trent is right about getting this checked out... it's hard for us to tell what you're dealing with. As for your October 7th marathon, it seems like it'd be better to rest (at least a bit) now and let it heal, rather than deal with a nagging chronic injury throughout your whole training! Easier said than done, of course... I'm dealing with some foot-muscle problems right now but feel the pressure to get out there and build mileage for my next marathon! Do as I say, not as I do?... Wink Best of luck. Big grin
            aes

Thank you both for your advice. As it feels more like a dull ache I will continue stretching, icing and light running for the next few days and see how I feel there. I'm in Europe and the Middle East until the end of August and won't be able to check it out until after Labor Day. Wish me luck.