Can you get stress fractures on the top of your foot? (Read 943 times)

Hey everyone. Quick question. I ran a few too many miles on Friday (even though I knew I shouldn't have) and ended up getting sore on the top of my right foot (where your shoelaces are). It's not interfering with my running but if I flex my toes or press it, it's a little tender. Any suggestions as to what's caused it?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. But usually pain atop the foot from running is the result of your laces being too tight causing a ligamentitis.
        I agree... Plus, a stress fracture isn't likely to occur because of one run. I wouldn't worry about anything yet.
          My doc used to call that tendonitis, but Trent has more recent info. I used to take 3 Advil 3 times a day (treat it like a prescription) and the pain should be gone within a week.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SMART Approach

Seems pretty simple - don't think you need medicine for this. You will be fine in a few days.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Giants Fan

I just saw a video on Runners World about this and how to lace your shoes differently. Get on Runnersworld.com and check it out. (videos--injury prevention). I've had this happen from time to time, painful for about day or two, then gets better. Try to stay in shoes that aren't too tight the rest of the day. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Cool. Thanks guys Smile
                sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

That happened to me a few years ago after a long run that I wasn't prepared for. The pain was intense enough that I went to an urgent care clinic and expressed concern about a stress fracture. The doctor looked at me funny, and explained that unless I'd been running 40-50 mpw for several months, it's not possible to be a stress fracture. Anyway, with rest and anti-inflammatories the pain was gone a week later.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

The pain and slight inflammation is still there and now I have a pain radiating from the outside middle part of my foot up the side of my calf too!! It's annoying enough to get me limping around first thing in the morning although it does seem to settle down during the day. I was able to run 5K on the treadmill last night without a bother though and probably try another 5K tonight too. I've been using Voltaren Gel several times a day and haven't needed painkillers (us Aussies are a tough breed Big grin).
                    jomike

(us Aussies are a tough breed Big grin).
                      Aye, and a two-fisted beer-drinking bunch of blokes and sheilas you are, to boot. FWIW, I've had a couple pairs of shoes that caused that particular pain on the top of my foot no matter how they were laced. Not suggesting that alternate lacing isn't worth a try - on the contrary, if Lydiard or some other lacing method helps, that's great (e.g. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm). But if not, try setting those particular shoes aside for a while to see if there's any improvement. In the meantime, ibuprofen is your friend...
                        Aye, and a two-fisted beer-drinking bunch of blokes and sheilas you are, to boot. FWIW, I've had a couple pairs of shoes that caused that particular pain on the top of my foot no matter how they were laced. Not suggesting that alternate lacing isn't worth a try - on the contrary, if Lydiard or some other lacing method helps, that's great (e.g. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm). But if not, try setting those particular shoes aside for a while to see if there's any improvement.
                        "Aye"??? I hate to break it to you mate (while I'm putting a couple of shrimps on the barbie & necking a Fosters Smile ), but 'aye' is actually a Scottish term Tongue But you do have a point about the shoes. I was wearing Adidas Supernova when I hurt my foot the other day which were a fantastic shoe when I bought an earlier model last year but since buying the 'new & improved' model, I've had a couple problems - they feel great to run in (better than the Mizunos) but I've taken skin off the backs of both feet several times (didn't happen with my old Supernovas) and now this problem with the top & side of my foot. I'll wear the Mizunos instead for the next week and if things improve I may have to retire the Adidas & buy a pair of Asic Nimbus.
                        janetpattison

Since you kept running and you have inflammation and pain in your foot and calf you may have Plantar Fasciitis or tendinitis. If not running and icing it for a week doesn't help, you should get it checked out. http://www.tendonitisfacts.com/articles/achilles_tendonitis_treatment.html
                          jomike

"Aye"??? I hate to break it to you mate (while I'm putting a couple of shrimps on the barbie & necking a Fosters Smile ), but 'aye' is actually a Scottish term Tongue
                            Heh... all I remember is, the Aussies I partied with back in my Navy days could drink... a lot... And you have the solution right there in your hand... enough Foster's, and you'll forget all about the ache on top of your foot. Big grin
                              Actually, I have a confession to make....Fosters beer is totally crap. If I have to drink beer, it will always be a VB (Victoria Bitter). But it IS a way to forget about the pain. And yes, the blokes and sheilas over here certainly can drink....some things never change. Next time your in this part of the world, I'll shout you a drink Smile
                              feener

actually i did get a stress fracture on top of my foot, and the dr. was so excited b/c it was such a RARE place. this was after a 10 mile run training for a half marathon.