I want to run a marathon in under 4 hours and I'm struggling. (Read 278 times)

runnermacoy

Here are some details first.

I'm a 31 year old male and here are my PB times for distances.

5K - 24 minutes

15K - 80 minutes

21K - 1 hour, 50 minutes

30K - 2 hours, 49 minutes

42K - 4 hours, 1 minute

50K - 5 hours, 25 minutes

I can run a whole marathon without stopping or walking either.

As you can see from my times, I'm not a GREAT runner but I consider myself to be pretty decent. Especially since two years ago, all I could do was a 10K. For marathons though, I really start to struggle when I reach near the end and I just can't run as quick or keep up my pace from earlier on in the run. Hydration, tiredness, and self-doubt all becomes an issue. I am open to everything you guys have to offer.

And I know you guys might think, I'm only 2 minutes off from a sub 4:00 but that was my BEST time. The marathon I did after that was a 4 hour, 9 minute one so I definitely need alot of work.

mikeymike

You didn't say anything about your training so I'm going to take an educated guess that the answer is: run more.

What's your weekly mileage?

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But you need to share your running log, because without it, we can't tell anything about your training.  Hope you're logging here on RA!

runnermacoy

I've started running 5 days a week with 2 days off. On 4 of those days, I run between 11 and 15 KM and then I have a big day where I run between 25 and 30 KM.

an amazing likeness

For the vast majority of us hobby runners, more base miles equals better performance. Be it endurance and/or speed. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runnermacoy

For the vast majority of us hobby runners, more base miles equals better performance. Be it endurance and/or speed. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Is it really that easy? I feel like diet and sleep are big factors too. And I don't KNOW how good my diet is.

I've started running 5 days a week with 2 days off. On 4 of those days, I run between 11 and 15 KM and then I have a big day where I run between 25 and 30 KM.

I would say your km/week sets you up nicely to embark "comfortably" upon one of Pfizinger's Plans, which I have found helpful.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Andres1045

Is it really that easy? I feel like diet and sleep are big factors too. And I don't KNOW how good my diet is.

It really is. For a real long time I would run marathons around your PB. Occasionally better. Often worse. I normally ran fewer midweek miles, but similar long runs. I was a little faster at the shorter stuff, but sounds like you're a bit better at the longer distances. I decided one day to take running more seriously. So I ended up forcing myself to run 7 days a week. Then averaged nearly 60 miles a week for 18 weeks. With that, I shaved over 37 minutes off of my best marathon, despite going out too fast and still ending up with a 10min positive split. Yes, I ran workouts, but what made me faster were the miles.

As for diet and sleep, focusing on that can help, sure, but nothing compared to easy miles.

Upcoming races: Boston

mikeymike

Well, it's simple but not easy. Run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast. How much? I dunno, you need to figure it out. But more than you are now. And take a long range view. It takes months or years to build an aerobic base.

Also I'll second the Pfitzinger book that Nads linked to.

Runners run

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Are you averaging 40+ miles per week, or do you run 5 days a week and then have weeks where you only run 3 days (or 0)? If you kept a log, let us know what your average weekly mileage was over the 18 weeks leading up to your last full. Running more always helps, but I'd be surprised if a healthy 31 yo male consistently running 40 miles per week can't break 1:50 in a half (I know the marathon is the goal but the shorter times are surprising too if you are running 40 mpw unless you have exactly 0 talent or there is something else medically you are not aware of).

Also, what is height and weight? That can be another factor here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runnermacoy

I am about 148 pounds and I'm 5'10.

I haven't done a half since Feb, so who's to say I won't do better when I do my next one.

I've just recently started running on average 70 KM a week. I wasn't training as hard before.

Marylander

I've got a first marathon coming up myself where I'm also hoping to break 4 hours. I've made up my own plan based on how I like to do things. Wink All I can really say to you at this point is good luck!

JimR

Marathon training is about getting prepped for the distance, but by its nature you have to do it with the fitness you’ve got.  If you want to do better you have to improve your fitness before you even start.  So if you want to improve you’re marathon performance, make the -run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast- thing you’re regular routine.

Then train for a full.

JimR

T Hound

Slower but happier

(Third vote for Drinking the Uncle Pete Coolaid). I would get Pfitz’s Advanced Marathoning and Faster Road Running (not a marathon specific plan but i feel like it complements and flushes out the plans).  It may be more than u need for sub 4, but I bet if you did 18/55 after a good base you could blow it out of the water.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block