How do you know when it's too much pain to run through? (Read 1110 times)

There has to be some line between HTFU and RICE.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

My 3: If it keeps getting worse. If it's not getting better. If you *know* something's wrong.

Roads were made for journeys...

There is a line between HTFU and RICE. It is called pain. HTFU is not about running through pain. HTFU is about running when you know you need to but don't want to. HTFU is about finishing your tempo run - even when you aren't quite back in shape or getting tired. HTFU is about running when its cold or hot or humid or raining. HTFU is about running your long run (insert your own mile number here) while the rest of the family is still tucked into their beds. HTFU is not about pain. MTA: Just for Trent. HTFU is about running off your hangover.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

Nice, Bonkin.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Now wait a minute. I woke up this morning with a crushing headache from all the wine last night. And the apple brandy. Whoa. That was pain. But I HTFU'd. Through the pain. And had a great run! Wait. What were we talking about?
            mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I like the relationship they used in G.I.Jane ("Are you hurt, Ensign, or are you injured?") If you hurt, HTFU. If you are injured, or think you might be, RICE. And maybe get checked out.
              Now wait a minute. I woke up this morning with a crushing headache from all the wine last night. And the apple brandy. Whoa. That was pain. But I HTFU'd. Through the pain. And had a great run! Wait. What were we talking about?
              "Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain? It lets you know you're not dead yet!
                There is a line between HTFU and RICE. It is called pain. HTFU is not about running through pain. HTFU is about running when you know you need to but don't want to. HTFU is about finishing your tempo run - even when you aren't quite back in shape or getting tired. HTFU is about running when its cold or hot or humid or raining. HTFU is about running your long run (insert your own mile number here) while the rest of the family is still tucked into their beds. HTFU is not about pain.
                Gotcha.
                  I like the relationship they used in G.I.Jane ("Are you hurt, Ensign, or are you injured?") If you hurt, HTFU. If you are injured, or think you might be, RICE. And maybe get checked out.
                  She was a Lieutenant in G.I. Jane, methinks.
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

She was a Lieutenant in G.I. Jane, methinks.
                    She was, but the hurt / injured comment was directed to another member of the cast during the interrogation simulation (one of the guys on her team).
                      The minute it starts hurting Shocked..... Take it from me (fellow texan), I have tried and tried to run thru pain and have gotten hurt time after time after time...... When it hurts, your body is telling you something.......LISTEN......and take a break...... (it took me to age 56 to figure this one out........please learn from me on this one).... Smile This is the ONE reason why I was not a much more successful runner during m y 30s and 40's.......I thought I could run thru pain and always ended up injured...... Cry thats my 2 cents for what it is worth....

Champions are made when no one is watching

The minute it starts hurting Shocked.....
                        Yep, if it hurts don't do it. Although I have run up to when it is going to hurt. For example I recently pulled a chest muscle and it hurt if I breathed deeply or made sudden move with my upper body. I ran slower so I didn't have to breathe as deeply and I ran as smoothly as possible without twisting my torso (too look behind, or even to the side for that matter). The real problem is, how can you tell if the next run will cause an injury? Having soreness and knowing how much you can do is a testing procedure. Proceed with caution.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Run through annoyance, not through pain. (Learning to differentiate is what makes a good runner.)

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks so much, everyone.