2013 Holiday Running Streak (Read 698 times)

CT JEFF

I'm a night owl. I have put in some streak miles between 10pm and 2am as needed. Bonus, if you get the chance, you can still do a double. If you don't, family still intact!

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

My family doesn't give me any grief for time spent running. I used to drink. There are worse things to do every day than run. 4 on day 28.

xhristopher

6:15 - Wake

6:30 - Wife leaves for work

7:00 - Get kid up and dressed

7:30 - Head out to work.

5:50 - Get home

6:00 - Head over to neighbors Christmas Party

Usually after a big Sunday effort I like to take Monday off but had to correct myself form almost enjoying that on more than one occasion today.

I get to the Christmas party and start with a beer then quickly move on to margaritas. I had 4 or 5. Then another neighbor takes a liking to the hosts tequila and pours me a shot for every one he enjoys. I recall at lead 4 of those. The mantra of the evening was nobody has anywhere to go tomorrow morning so the drinks flowed easily...

I get home, help put the kid to bed and get dressed for running. My wife's last words were "don't vomit."

I got it done with with a BAC well beyond buzzed. Had a rough patch the second mile but mostly was amused about the whole situation. I'm sleeping in tomorrow.

My family doesn't give me any grief for time spent running. I used to drink. There are worse things to do every day than run. 4 on day 28.

Amen brother!! I with ya on this one! I think of all the nights like tonight I've wasted that I'll never get back. I'm so grateful for the gift of good health and to be whole again.

My run tonight was wonderful. In the past, if I didn't run in the morning, that was the end of that. I'm much more creative now with this streak. After a long, slow day at work, I came home to bake cookies with my grand-daughters, finished wrapping presents, then a short but very sweet run. So beautiful out. Clear night, pretty lights, snow on the ground, and no wind. Perfect! I know people must think it's crazy being out there, but I just love it! Came home with my breath frozen on my face mask. Pretty cool stuff.

Best part...I ran 2.11 miles in 2* F. Woohoo! Newest member of the More Miles Than Degrees club!!

Now my feet are up in my Santa socks, in front of a fire and a pink Christmas tree just waiting for family to come celebrate. How could life be any sweeter?

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Joann Y

Whether it's the trial of miles, the miles of trials or the miles fueled on margaritas, tequila and good holiday cheer, that is impressive sir.

4 miles this morning. Got 6 miles planned for tomorrow, see if I can squeeze that in between cinnamon rolls, gifts, eggs, nap, friends, beer, whiskey etc.

Happy holidays all!!

Evolving body parts

Day 32: super awesome 6.6 mi today in thick fog.

Funny how one day my run is a huge pile of cr@p, the next day I could and would go forever. One thing I changed while I'm at home in the holidays is that I run in the mornings and on empty stomach (I basically don't eat anything until about 1pm). Morning runs for me are generally harder and are on higher HR - I guess it takes some getting used to.

Now that I am past 1 month of running with no off-days, let me count the positives about this streak thing:

• I've never had so many miles in a month before (surprise)
              • Also, about the best average pace ever (still very slow in absolute terms)
              • I feel like I'm getting stronger. My circulation has been okay, but now my muscles are starting to obey. 
              • In spite of no rest days, no aches / pain - one thing I was always afraid of if the subject of streaking came up. Sometimes just a general 'awereness' of my feet/knees/ankles, but hey, I can live with that.

I'm hoping that these extra miles on our moderately hilly terrain will help me on next year's flat races. 

Note to self: find a better way to rotate running gear in laundry to treat EISS (excercise induced stink syndrome).

Go streakers!

joescott

6 on snow and ice covered roads on Christmas Eve. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

npaden

I broke my streak yesterday.  After a full day on the slopes and some time in the pool with my son I was just tired and didn't feel like making a trip down to the hotel treadmill to knock out a mile.  I went ahead and changed into my running clothes and proceeded to fall asleep on the bed at 9:15.  I've met my December mileage goal already, but if I get a chance I still will try to join the more miles than degrees club one of the next two mornings.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

Sorry to hear npaden. I was one shot away from also being passed out. Holy cow! I'm not in my 20s anymore. I should know better than doing shots with a guy in his 60s. After about 100 cups of coffee I'll be ready to run today.

mikeymike

Tuesday hills, Christmas Eve style (in the daylight!)

Runners run

jpdeaux

Early track workout that ended with a dixie-cup holiday toast of Bailey's was cool.

And it was definitely not on school property. No, definitely not, because that would be wrong.

My wife's last words were "don't vomit."

Your wife's awesome!

Happy holidays everyone! I went out for a run today before the feasting started. Time well spent.

On day 29 I hit the road with a10 miler in mind. Longest distance in my latest stint as a runnerly person. Some random lady shouted "Good job!" as I went tooling thru the 'hood."You betcha" I thought. I brought the Shuffle along & enjoyed the day before the clouds rolled in. Nice run. Happy birthday Jesus & good holidays to you heathens & running loons.

TJoseph

Another run done.  51 and sunny out.

My wife keeps tally of the different birds she sees on her runs. Her list for this year hit 112 species today when I caught up to her as she was looking at a bunch of geese.

"See the shorter ones? They're Cackling Geese. They're already on my list though," she said as I tried not to wheeze too loudly from my unplanned fartlekky effort.

"You mean the ones right next to that white one?" I asked.

"What? I didn't even see that…" she said, getting that squint of marking-memorization in her eye.

"It's a Snow Goose," I said with my usual unfounded confidence.

"It could be," she said with a hint of surprise.

"Really? That's a real bird? I just made that up."

We shuffled up the hill to home and computer to identify the winged beast. Sure enough, Snow Goose. #112 for 2013. A couple of days ago she saw a Snowy Bunting. One week left, feathers crossed for a Snowy Owl sighting to make the snowy trifecta.