2013 Holiday Running Streak (Read 698 times)

Joann Y

Josh, I'd love that view and weather right now. Mother Nature is taking a big nor'easter dump on us right now.

I finished my streak with a 5K yesterday and exceeded my lofty (for me) mileage goal. This year's streak was even more rewarding than it was last year. I'm happy I started this thread so many of you could join me in this madness. I hope many of you found unexpected delight on days you might have taken off.

One of the reasons I wanted to do it again was because it really helps me focus. I needed that focus because I'll be running a goal marathon in just over a week. I'll be joining many families that are, like mine, living with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We will be running for reasons much greater than our own personal ambitions. It's do to those reasons I always give it my all to honor those who, like my son, can't run. We're raising funds and awareness to help improve quality of life and to move closer to a cure. I'm attempting to blog a little about running and Duchenne at www.run4will.com. Hopefully I'll do a better job at that blog in the new year.

Again, thank you everyone who joined the streak. Please keep the reports and check-ins coming. We don't want to send a search party out for lost runners.

What a devoted, loving family you must have. I admire all the efforts that you all are putting in with the run for muscular dystrophy and the personal every day effort. What a lovely son you have; you can see it in his smile. I have a brother with spina bifida who has never had the freedom to run. I'll be rooting for you all as you run for MD at Disney!

Finished my streak with a Frosty 5k Race.. 105.2 miles..Thanks for doing this and giving me the motivation to get at is daily again.  feeling stronger and had the best 5k I have had in a while.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Made it! A few more trips to the treadmill and single mile runs that I'd hoped for, but pretty pleased to have made it from end to end again this year. 116 miles for me

Finished it up New Year's Day with a run that barely qualified, 1.7.  Between the previous late night & giving a double red blood donation the day before the energy level wasn't there. Legs feel great though. Nor'easter today, though so tonight's run on the dreadmill.

One of the reasons I wanted to do it again was because it really helps me focus. I needed that focus because I'll be running a goal marathon in just over a week. I'll be joining many families that are, like mine, living with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We will be running for reasons much greater than our own personal ambitions. It's do to those reasons I always give it my all to honor those who, like my son, can't run. We're raising funds and awareness to help improve quality of life and to move closer to a cure. I'm attempting to blog a little about running and Duchenne at www.run4will.com. Hopefully I'll do a better job at that blog in the new year.

There was an event in my town last Thanksgiving benefitting the Hope for Gus Foundation, which raises money for DMD research in honor of a young boy up here in NH.  Gus' dad spoke at the event, and from that and his blog, I learned a bit about DMD.  One of the cruel things about DMD is the backwards relationship the boys have with exercise - exercise weakens their muscles.  The more boys with DMD run, the sooner they will no longer be able to run.

We all run charity races for various medical research foundations, but none is so appropriate and poignant as running for these boys.

Chris - I hope you and you family have a wonderful time at Disney.

xhristopher

Thanks folks. We've all got to play the hand we're dealt and that's what where doing. Granite, you are right. It is all backwards. Every new school year starts with a teacher conference and I give the same speech. People and and the world are trained and focused on working towards improvements and gains but with my son it's about adapting and adjusting to the loss, otherwise everyone gets frustrated. Thanks again. I'll post a followup after Disney.

Who hasn't checked in yet?

Me.  Was on target until Christmas, then got the Flu and have not run a single mile since until today,so fail on both the streak and mileage assigned - 145 for the month instead of 185.

Ojo

Thank you for organizing -- and I love the comments for the finishers! 

Thanks folks. We've all got to play the hand we're dealt and that's what where doing. Granite, you are right. It is all backwards. Every new school year starts with a teacher conference and I give the same speech. People and and the world are trained and focused on working towards improvements and gains but with my son it's about adapting and adjusting to the loss, otherwise everyone gets frustrated. Thanks again. I'll post a followup after Disney.

Sara

MM #2929

xhristopher

Me.  Was on target until Christmas, then got the Flu and have not run a single mile since until today,so fail on both the streak and mileage assigned - 145 for the month instead of 185.

Sorry Happy. I hate to ask, but will anyway. Did you get the flu shot? I mainly wonder if it's going to work this year.

Cyberic

I'm already loser enough for not commiting to the streak, I'm at least going to me man enough to come here and say it instead of pretending this thread does not exist like I did all through  december. Got a thousand excuses, like everyone else, except I listened to my excuses. Beck says it best: "I'm a loser baby, so why don't ya kill me".

Fanilow

I made it 9 days. And there are couples running a flippin marathon a day. *sigh*

52.4 miles. Not the 80 I signed up for and wanted.

Maybe 2014 will be my year. Smile

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I made it 23 days! Not the full streak, but the longest I've ever gone and I'm keeping it up.

I ran in the rain and in the snow and even with a cold last week. I think I'll be less likely to wimp out in the future when the weather is bad or I'm not feeling 100%.

run.87

I haven't checked in yet. I didn't make it this year. I could give a litany of excuses, but basically it comes down to a lack of commitment. On the plus side, January is off to a good start. Maybe next year. Smile

“Over level or steep, over smooth or rough, over dry or wet…run, run: always run.” 

Excluding a crappy treadmill I just logged my first run of '14. I miss the streak. It was good to have a reason to compel me out the door through the holidays. Have to find a new goal.

Thanks Xhristopher.

xhristopher

Excluding a crappy treadmill I just logged my first run of '14. I miss the streak. It was good to have a reason to compel me out the door through the holidays. Have to find a new goal.

Thanks Xhristopher.

I know, right? We had a nor'easter and I took two days off that I didn't need to take. If it happened during the streak I'd have run in a blizzard to keep it going.

Go sign up for a race you care about and let that drive you.