Too Old to run (Read 591 times)

ACHood

I would like to run.  When I do run in the mornings I feel great all day and I love this but... I'm 54 and only recently took up running.  I worked up to where I could run 2 miles with no walking stops but there is a lot of pain involved.

I have a pain in my glutes that isn't too bad while running but hurts like crazy to sit down and the pain remains all day.  I did some research online and began stretching my hip flexors hoping this would help. I continued to run after this till one morning my granddaughter wanted to race me to the house (she's 5), I took off and immediately heard a pop.  I almost fell to the ground from the pain at the base of my glute  where it meets my hamstring.  It occurred to me then that maybe I'm too old to start running or maybe I just don't have the right body build for it.

Is it possible that with time and training this will work itself out and I should just stick with it or is it time to give up?   If it helps, I'm female, 5'6 160 lbs, run on a treadmill and run with Brooks running shoes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Feeling the growl again

You are too old when you are dead.  Until then, be patient and take your time.  Don't feel pressured to run faster.  Stretch regularly; look up planking exercises to strengthen your hip flexors and core.

You just started, and you will have it a bit harder than people picking it up in their teens/twenties.  But bodies in their 50s still heal, though it may take a bit longer.  Keep challenging yourself a little bit, and over time your body will get stronger.

And, you really DON'T need speedwork right now.  So avoid the temptation to race the young bucks back to the house.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

GinnyinPA

I'm 56 and also a new runner, but I don't consider myself too old.  I worked my way from couch to 5k to 30+ miles a week.  Aches are somewhat normal, pain is not.  Back off on the speed, keep all your runs slow and easy.  If you are still hurting, rest until the pain is gone, then start over at a slower and easier pace.  If necessary, go back to walking until you build up the muscles and tendons.  Don't give up.

Have you been to a physical therapist? You may have some muscle imbalances or weaknesses that need to be straightened out. Running shouldn't be painful. It is possible you might be doing too much too soon, but you also sound like you have some issues vaguely like mine.

FWIW, I've jogged a bit since the late 70s and hiked a fair amount (field ecologist), but then started doing more structured running about 12 yr ago - when I was in my mid 50s (also female) and still running in my mid-60s. My first few years were rough (actually some of my problems were before I ran) with AT, PF, then some hip issues. At one time, my GP suggested giving up running, but then I found a good PT who works with runners. He found many functional issues - esp. weak feet and ankles which contributed to AT PLUS some muscle imbalances that contributed to the hip issues. (hip issue was also a matter of too many hills too soon) He provided some treatment but more importantly provided exercises to help me get over the issues and strengthen my body, including feet and ankles. I gradually improved over the years by working at it.

I've gone from running with mc shoes and orthotics to running in neutral or stability shoes without orthotics. From working to run 1 hr to being comfortable for several hours (maybe quick potty stop or picture snap break in there), esp. on trails where there's a variety of motion and things to keep me mentally stimulated. Including run/walk in there, I've covered 38mi between trailheads several times carrying own food and refilling water bladder with water from streams (about 13 hrs on feet).

So no, you aren't too old to run. BUT it sounds like your body may need some help. Your symptoms sound like you could use some guidance is getting your muscles straightened out. Some of those could resolve themselves over time, but it's much faster if someone who knows what they're doing evaluates you. Being a bit lighter would also help. I'm 5'8" / 148lb, but am more comfortable in low 140s.

Good luck.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You are not too old and your body is fine.  Take your time don't rush it.  And as spaniel said.

steph  

Do some small under stressful exercises in the areas of your weaknesses. Mainly I think in the glutes/hamstrings. A good exercise is to do some standing squats without weights. Don't overbend or over do it.  Just start throwing in some small training sessions to build up the weak areas.  Plenty of videos online explaining this type of exercise.  Sometimes running is not a starting point in exercise, sometimes you need to do some small prep work before you take off down the running path.  I do not believe age has much do to with it.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Imminent Catastrophe

OK,  some tough love:

You are not too old, so quit making excuses. You're a new runner, that's what causes your problems. That will be fixed by running really easy and building your mileage slowly. You will have setbacks, deal with it. It's not a reason to give up. BTW if there's pain involved then you need to back off on your effort, that means walking if necessary. It's not supposed to hurt.

BTW I'm 54 and running PR's. It took a few years to get there but you can do it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Just to add....I am 35 and have been running consistently since I was 12.  From age 22 to 29 I ran 3500-4100 miles per year.  Yet for many months now I have been dealing with hip issues (one then the other) not dissimilar to what you describe.  So neither age nor being new is an excuse.  It can happen to anybody.  You just need to be committed and work through it.

If you tear all the cartilage out of your knee, we can talk about the wisdom of continuing to run regularly.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I hope you follow the good advice you're getting here, make your log public and keep us up to date on how it's going.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ACHood

Thank you everyone for your quick response and for the encouragement.   I have incorporated weight training to try to strengthen my hamstrings so I will continue with that and maybe take it a little slower but won't give up,  I've never been to a PT but it sounds like good advise.  I'll ask around and see if I can find one in my area.

You are a very inspiring group!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Feeling the growl again

Thank you everyone for your quick response and for the encouragement.   I have incorporated weight training to try to strengthen my hamstrings so I will continue with that and maybe take it a little slower but won't give up,  I've never been to a PT but it sounds like good advise.  I'll ask around and see if I can find one in my area.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

You are welcome.  And also, don't just focus on the hammys.  That is the symptom, not necessarily the problem.  A weak core can also contribute to such issues.  So do a more complete program.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

You are not to old, I started at 62, almost 5 years ago. The first months everything ached, then went slowly away. Somewhere along the line I fell in love with it! Take it slow, no slower, as had been said by others. This it is a great group of folks. Listen to them

bob e v
                          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

jfa

You are too old when you are dead.  Until then, be patient and take your time   Smile

This.

And the fact that you are trying.That's the first and most important step that you can take.

Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Check with your LRS to see if they do gait analyses or can suggest a good PT. That's how I found mine in the first place. He was working at another PT, then opened his own clinic with another PT / runner, then opened a running shoe store. Their PT provided free clinic evals about once a month, iirc. That could steer you in the direction of what you may need.

The exercises I was given originally were pretty generic functional strength training things so might have stumbled on them eventually, but may not have recognized their value. It took someone pointing out my problem to me.  I was also doing a running xt class in winter (lots of barefoot work) that helped with the foot and ankle strengthening. When I had my hip problem, I *thought* I knew how to fix it with a stretch, but turned out I had it backwards and was aggravating it. One visit with a treatment and assigned exercises was all it took to fix it - and continuing to work on core, hips, feet, and ankles through the years.

That's why I suggested someone who knows what they're doing.

You're definitely on the right track with adding some strength training. Just be sure to work a balanced routine, as spaniel suggested.

Good luck.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              PDoe

Not too old.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but at 160# and a beginner, you are stressing your body when you run. Be very patient. Do the weight/strength training but don't try to overdo it. Watch what you eat and as you lose weight your body will be stressed less. Keep at it though, it's well worth it.