umbilical hernia care (Read 30 times)

Gadus

Been having some abdominal discomfort last few weeks and an ultrasound revealed a small umbilical hernia; I'm pretty sure I overdid it on the ab machine but that's neither here nor there, what's done is done.

I'm relieved of course it's not the stomach or intestine but it sounds like the hernia recovery time can stretch into the months, which is greatly disappointing to someone just getting their running program into gear. What has peoples' experience been with this kind of hernia, in terms of recovery-if it does lead to a surgical solution?

Can I optimistically hope for getting back to running within a month or so? Maybe limiting the workout to easy treadmill runs at least initially?

Jawihan

Hi Gadus. I suggest asking your surgeon, however, I had umbilical hernia surgery done Sept. 11 last year and with the surgeon's okay was walking the next day for 30 mins. @ 3mph on treadmill and continued exercise walking until Sept. 20 when I did a 5k run. My surgeon said that walking & jogging would be okay, just no lifting over 20 lbs or abdominal exercises eg. crunches, sit ups etc. for about 6 weeks.

Listen to your surgeon and good luck.

Jim

From the Internet.

I had an umbilical hernia repair in fall of 2014. Was walking within days, starting to run just a little and super easy after a week, back to roughly normal mileage within a month but no hard workouts. My surgeon was also a runner and OK'd it, obviously see what they recommend for your situation. Good luck!

Gadus

Thanks to both. Had a meeting yesterday with surgeon. Decided to put off surgery for a few weeks while I finish a project which requires some lifting, climbing, leaning. But recovery, as he described it, does sound as both of you describe; i.e. I should be able to run almost immediately though I will try to limit myself to walking.

The only debate with myself that I'm having now is whether to resume running until surgery-I have not for the last week-or just take it easy and make sure the project/s get done so I can keep the surgery date.

Thanks again for input.

g