Chafing in the winter! (Read 638 times)

CoachNate

I broke down and bought some tech shirts last year to deal with this issue in the summer. As winter progresses and my runs are getting longer - I am not sure how people deal with the bloody nipples and other easily chafed body parts! I am fine in a tech shirt, but as soon as I have to add layers to deal with sub 30 degree weather I am in trouble - Any one have suggestions for outdoor running - staying warm and skin intact in the winter?
    VictorN

For the nipples, take a standard band aid, rip of the adhesive wings and throw away the gauze center. Put one adhesive wing over each nipple, take care to move away as much hair as possible. For other areas that chafe, buy a stick of Body Glide and apply when necessary. Victor
        what works for me is Body Glide on the nipples and a very tight compression shirt as a base layer. I have added many different combination of layers on top of this without any bloody nipples.... take away either the body glide or the compression shirt and life sucks! I also use body glide on 4 or 5 other locations........ Jason
        C-R

I agree with the bandaids. I use the small circle ones and they work great for me. As for the chafing, I've never used Body Gide but hear its good. I wear compression shorts under my normal running shorts or wear a pair of tights (freaks out the neighbors but WTH it keeps me warm and chafe free Clowning around) for long runs. Keeps the thighs out of trouble. There might be some that will comment to HTFU but chafing is the pits so fashion be damned and do what works.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

CoachNate

Great! Yeah, I had already found the compression short trick - though for the mercy of my neighbors I wear shorts over them Smile I will try the bandaids - I have not had a lot of luck with them in the past - maybe the circle ones are just the ticket.
              if fashion be damned, you could always do what we ladies do-- sports bra. Big grin
                if fashion be damned, you could always do what we ladies do-- sports bra. Big grin
                That would be bold!
                CoachNate

Heh - not sure how to respond to that Smile
                  C-R

If it would guarantee no chafing and a faster time, then....... Oh who the hell am I kidding. Even I won't stoop to that. I have my manly pride and status at the neighborhood BBQs to consider. That is a snerk worthy comment. Cool

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Not sure what you are adding for outer layers but if it's causing chafing you are adding way too much. At 30F I wear a long sleeve Dri Fit shirt and an ordinary long sleeve cotton jersey. When I finish my runs, the inner shirt is dry and the outer shirt slightly damp. I have had some tech shirts that chafe more than others, but never in the winter. The ones I did have trouble with was a cheap Target brand. To prevent nipple chafing on long runs or rain runs I just use Body Glide. Tom