Speed Workouts (Read 1666 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

pREDator I already responded to your post in the HeartRate Thread. I gotta say though with that picture I have to wonder where in the world that came from. It is a little freaky and I think the last person on this board I want to upset is a guy who has an avatar with a picture like that. Evil grin Please forgive for all of my stupid comments Smile. Of course you do have the option of skipping them you know. Wink Cheers!
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I can't believe how great the garmin is. I have tried so many different things and I am just amazed at how good this thing is. Without a doubt worth every penny. I need to find a good website though to upload my information into. motionbased is a great website but I am not going to pay $8 a month to keep my history there. Sportstracks was very disappointing in that I could not even see my laps. I have the perfect running partner now but I need the perfect website.
        2011 Goals:
        pREDator I already responded to your post in the HeartRate Thread. I gotta say though with that picture I have to wonder where in the world that came from. It is a little freaky and I think the last person on this board I want to upset is a guy who has an avatar with a picture like that. Evil grin Please forgive for all of my stupid comments Smile. Of course you do have the option of skipping them you know. Wink Cheers!
        My apologies Bearcat for being rude. It's just that I was embarrassed for you. I could just see the frustration in the faces of those trying to respond helpfully, and they were not getting anywhere with ya. (Sheesh's were voiced aloud to monitors everywhere.) I don't want that, and I don't want it for others like yourself either. So take all the advice with a grain of salt and apply what you will to your training. If it's not for you, keep silent. Do what you feel is best for you to achieve your personal best. Congrats on your marathon. I would be very happy to run that fast "my" firstshot at it. And you mentioned going faster on short tempo runs to obtain the ability to race at a certain pace down the road. Go for it man. I did the same thing myself this winter on the treadmill. Just be careful. You know your body better than anyone. Longtime believer in T.S. Eliot: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go". Like you, I too have yet to adhere to a set program. But I will as the hurdles to my ultimate goals become difficult to cross. Thus far I only own 2 books on running. The one I credit the most to my improvements is a great, simple little book on running by Hal Highdon: "RunFast". Get IT! You GOTTA have it! I highly recommend it for it's simplicity. The other is Dr. Jack Daniels: "Daniel's Running Formula". More complicated read, but the one that'll probably get me over the "hump of diminished returns" I'm soon to face. I do think it is very positive that you want speed though. It seems a high percentage of runners here are opposed or fear it or loathe it or it's just not their cup of tea or something. Oh, my avatar. I'm a really nice guy. Quiet type, introverted, but an aggressive desire to be the best at what I set my mind to accomplish. And I'm creative, an artist. So, "I'm a Mac". I promise this is all coming together. First, my initials spell RED. That was taken. Chose pREDator cause of "strong will" and tie to pRE ("Guts"). New macs have a built in cam that has different views. This pic was taken with"X-Ray". Thought it was cool and sinister (my inner plans to hunt down those atop my A.G.). Evil grin In Photoshop I just painted it red, my color right!(my initials) INTENSE huh?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I'm confused by this line "(Sheesh's were voiced aloud to monitors everywhere.) ". Am I missing a secret network of emails to the monitors? I know I have a lot to learn but if I don't understand something I ask a question, which is what I thought these forums were for. I really appreciate the fact that others try to help. I'm not trying to annoy people but trying to learn. However, I don't just go by blind faith that if a book says something then it must be so, which is what most people like to live by. I believe in trial and error. If it makes sense to me then I am willing to give it a try. The heart rate thing is what is really throwing me off. The more I think I learn about that the better I will understand my body and when I am pushing myself too hard. My run today for example was 13 miles and averaged 171 my pace was only an 8:54. I don't feel I was running hard but yet my body was worn out. I think a lot of that had to do with the temperature and humidty in the air. On Wednesday, which is normally my tempo run I plan on doing what people suggested to try and find my true max heart rate. I think that is the most important step I can take at this point. I will definatley check out the books you mentioned. I would love to get them as audiobooks to listen to as I run on my easy runs. I doubt that is possible though. I like your avatar, very intense looking. Why do you choose to do 11 mile long runs? Are you planning on doing a marathon anytime soon? FYI - It was actually my second Marathon. One thing about Marathons you don't forget how many you run because they are so tough.
            2011 Goals:
            I'm confused by this line "(Sheesh's were voiced aloud to monitors everywhere.) ". Am I missing a secret network of emails to the monitors?
            Sheesh's: collective sigh when reading something lame? Kinder than "Jesus" or "My GOD". No e-mails involved.
            The heart rate thing is what is really throwing me off. The more I think I learn about that the better I will understand my body and when I am pushing myself too hard.
            Just use heart rate to monitor your progress in becoming a more efficient runner. I never use mine for more than that, but I do tend to watch it on easy days to keep from going any higher than say 80% and hard efforts to keep from backing off what I'd like to maintain(this is tied to pace cause I've yet to figure pace correctly). But lately, I just don't need that anymore. You learn. You know. Use the McMillan Paces or Daniels(very close) based on your most current race to determine training intensities.
            On Wednesday, which is normally my tempo run I plan on doing what people suggested to try and find my true max heart rate. I think that is the most important step I can take at this point.
            This is just not that important. But if you feel you must......? Roll eyes
            Why do you choose to do 11 mile long runs? Are you planning on doing a marathon anytime soon?
            Long runs have been suggested, not only in the Higdon book, but by other runners and resources. Why 11? That's what I can currently fit into 90 minutes. I'd like to go longer, but I'll heed some advice I received to go no longer till I build up to longer easy days through the week. Plus, that distance has me stressed to the limit anyway. I too felt very rough after this weeks long because I chose to do it after work on Fri. and Thu's speed( normally do long on Sun.) because I'm racing 10k on Memorial Day. And yes I may plan on doing "MY" first marathon this fall or next spring. For now, the long is preparing me for my first 10 miler in June and 1/2 marathon in Nov..

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well good luck with your 10K and the training leading up to your first 1/2. What course do you plan on doing for your half?
                2011 Goals:

Bumping another walk down memory lane for BCR.

And Jeff's post is money.

Yeah seriously.. BCR saying 80 to 85 miles a week is too much and then showing off all through training for this one Wink good times man

Prince of Fatness

Jeff's post is money.

Yeah, that post comes at the right time for me ..... some real good reminders.

1) Start running every day. Or as often as you can. Twice a day if you feel like it.

2) Run hard every third day or so. Do intervals if you like intervals. Run tempos if you like tempos. Keep yourself from overdoing it by making sure that the last part of your hard running is faster than the first part of your hard running. The last interval is always your fastest. The last mile of your tempo should be your fastest. Let this be your mantra: "Live to fight another day."

3) Run for over 2 hours every now and then.

4) Do some form work. Strides at the end of a run. Hill bounds. High knees. Butt kicks. Develop speed and coordination in your legs.

5) Get off the treadmill (if you can). It's causing you to obsess about numbers. Learn to listen to your body. Let your body tell you what pace to run, not your fantasies.

6) Don't try to run faster every day (twice a week is enough). Start trying to beat your mileage numbers every week. Or every month. Take a long-term view. You don't need to be comfortable at 7:30 pace tomorrow. Or next month. Work on running strong at your own level of fitness.

7) Running is simple. Keep it simple. Figure out how to enjoy it so you'll stay at it.

Not at it at all. 

Man we've been saying the same shit for years on this board.  What have I done with my life?

Runners run

MrH

Man we've been saying the same shit for years on this board.  What have I done with my life?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

I dunno about your life, but you ran a damn good marathon a couple weekends ago and a damn good 5k right before that.

Which has little to do with Real Life, but it is cool.

Grab a brew.

Dude, you have over 21,000 miles in your log.  What do you mean what have you done with your life?  It's called running a lot of miles and turning in some decent race times.  You have a lot to be proud of that many of us dream of doing.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Woohoo!!

(But we really need a new hattrick girl.)

Runners run