Placed 2nd in my Age Group! (Read 592 times)

Kimmie

I wasn't going to post a race report on this one, but when I saw the results, I just had to. I ran the LAWS Half Marathon yesterday in Leesburg, Va. Weather: 50s- total downpour the entire race. I wrote in another thread that I was hoping to run a sub 1:50. My last half was 4 weeks ago at the National in DC where I ran a 1:57:25. I ran a negative split there and I think I determined that I started out too easy. Yesterday I wanted to start out "comfortably hard" I didn't run a negative split... but I didn't lose as much as steam as I thought I would and I came awfully close to my goal. My time was 1:51:57 I started out too fast, which is why I've been starting easy at the recent halfs and 10 milers I've been doing. By mile 9, I was in the 9 min. range per mile, instead of 8s. I was a little toasted but I worked as hard as I could to still get under 1:50. And I didn't totally crash and burn. What a different feeling it is to run the whole thing hard. I could barely talk at the halfway point. Afterwards, my running group and I shivered under an overhang and ate some cheese pizza- we debated: Does running in torrential downpour, lightning and thunder, make you go faster? Smile And to get home and see that I placed 2nd in my age group was big surprise. Yes, it is a small race and no, my time isn't really that fast, but it's still a PR and I'm happy. I was especially happy to see that it wasn't 2nd out of 2. Smile I think there were around 30 women in the age group. They also gave out medals to the first 100 finishers. I was #95. Smile If I can't brag a little here, then where can I ? Thanks you all. I read a lot more than I post, but I really consider Running Ahead to be my internet running home. You guys help more than you know. I said this in the other post, I have finally gotten the racing bug back. I just want to keep racing so I can figure out... how fast is fast enough to run well, but not so fast that I slow down some at the end. And I consider this a PR, since my fastest half is 1:47 back in 2004 on a course that was known to be 1/2 mile short. Thanks for reading... Smile Happy running everyone!

Just Be

Congrats! Smile Even more impressive is the fact that you did this in a total downpour!
        Awesome job!
        Ringmaster

That's amazing! To run that distance that hard is a wonderful testament to perseverance and incredible discipline . . . especially in a downpour! Thanks for the inspiration . . . and congratulations!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

My legs are killing me

Really nice job! Especially in that kind of weather.
            C-R

Great run Kimmie! In good weather that sub 1:50 is yours for the taking. Smile

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evtish

Nice race and congrats on the hardware! You crushed the previous race time by ~5 1/2 minutes, that's awesome! If you came that close in a downpour, you can definately break your 1:50 goal in nicer weather conditions. Think of all the extra water weight you were carrying around in your hair and on your clothes.
                  Nice race and congrats on the hardware! You crushed the previous race time by ~5 1/2 minutes, that's awesome! If you came that close in a downpour, you can definately break your 1:50 goal in nicer weather conditions. Think of all the extra water weight you were carrying around in your hair and on your clothes.
                  Yes nice job. Also very wet, soaked running shoes make it hard to run fast. Congrats
                    Great job.

The Greatest of All Time

AWESOME!!!! Great work. Well done.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      kcam

Congratulations! I'd be thrilled to finish in the top 3 in my age group!
                          Super job Kimmie! Way to destroy your previous HM time. Smile
                          Brandon
                            Way to go Kim! Congratulations from a fellow Virginian.
                            Kimmie

Hey thanks everyone... Been following those that ran Boston today and it's sparked that dream within me again to someday qualify. Smile
                                Impressive!!! Big grin
                                ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.