What should I expect in terms of time in first 50 mile? (Read 171 times)

hectortrojan

I am going for 50 mile at the same location where I ran the first and only 50k in October 2014.

I trained for 12 weeks with 6 long runs (2 hr, 2:14 hr, 2:38 hr, 2:05 hr, 2:54 hr) averaging 4:33 hours/week and finished 50k @ 12:12 min/mile in 6:20 hour.

I have trained for 12 weeks with 6 long runs (2:49 hr, 3:03 hr, 3:06 hr, 4:20 hr, 5:16 hr, 4:21 hr) averaging 6:24 hours/week this time.

What should I expect in terms of time it would take to finish it?

I was thinking:

First 30 miles in 6:30-7:00 hours @ 13-14 min/mile

Last 20 miles in 5-5:30 hours @ 15-17 min/mile

It all depends on how fast you run.

Runners run

Too many unknowns to really offer a solid guess.  All else being equal, I'd say take it out at the pace of the last half of your 50k and adjust from there.  That's looks like 13:30, so your target seems reasonable.  While your long runs are good, your overall weekly time on feet is on the light side.  So, expecting to walk a lot in the final 20 makes sense too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Same terrain and course as the 50K?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LB2

I think your thoughts sound doable on it. I do like how you do all your running in terms of time; that is a hard transition for many people to make. The problem is that you never really know what is going to happen when you get out past a 50K or so. I don't guess you really know what is going to happen after 5K, but the longer ones have a way of really throwing you some curves. I would try not to worry too much about any time except the cutoffs for the race.

LB2

hectortrojan

Same terrain and course as the 50K?

Yes. Very similar. Its a nearby state park where I go running sometimes. 50k was not a race, it was the longest run I did. Same is the case with 50 mile. Only difference is, I did 50k unannounced and solo. But I have been telling everyone about 50 mile and will have friends/family members joining me for 5 hour or so.

hectortrojan

I think your thoughts sound doable on it. I do like how you do all your running in terms of time; that is a hard transition for many people to make. The problem is that you never really know what is going to happen when you get out past a 50K or so. I don't guess you really know what is going to happen after 5K, but the longer ones have a way of really throwing you some curves. I would try not to worry too much about any time except the cutoffs for the race.

I really have no time goal. I just want to finish. I also do not need to worry about cutoffs as I am not running a race. I just want to run 50 mile in nearby state park. Few friends and family members are going to join me here and there and wife was thinking it would be nice if she can join me for last 3-4 miles. So I was trying to think whats reasonable and can give her practical window of time where she can come join me.

LB2

I see. Good luck.

LB2

hectortrojan

I did 50 miler on easier course than 50k. [Same trails, but more flat during 50 milers. Total elevation gain was ~2700 feet for 50k as well as for 50 miler). It took 9:10 to complete.