Racing Flats for Flat Feet (Read 2931 times)

I know that racing flats don't have much cushioning and whatnot. I have completely flat feet. Would it be a bad idea for me to invest in a pair of racing flats to run with in races? Would I risk injury?
    xor

I do not know the answer, though I also don't know any flat footers who wear flats. But: why, specifically do you want to wear flats? (I'm starting this w/o judgment. Just curious about why folks make this choice)

finney

Resident pinniped

Just taking an educated guess here. I have hypermobile feet, which means that my feet have a normal arch sitting down, but once I stand they don't hold it, so I have some experience in the matter. From what I hear, flats only make a measurable difference if you're racing at a really good/sub elite/elite level. For most folks, it won't matter too much one way or the other. Second, I guess it would depend on the distance. You'd probably come away sore but suffering no long term damage running a 5k or 5 mile in flats. Running a marathon in flats might end your running days. Orthotics might be an answer, but I'm not sure how well they work in flats. Never tried it nor known anyone that has. Maybe someone else can help out with that one. Unless you're at a competitive level, I wouldn't go with flats personally.

jules2

I wear flats when racing with some orthotics inside even on half marathons you do go quicker and I've never had a problem. Could the increase in speed be due partly to a bosst in confidence as you "feel" faster with them on? I have some fell running shoes that are similar in that they have a hard thinish sole and no padding and with just the orthotics inside I did 15 miles the other week with no problem. Sometimes I wonder if cushoning is good for you and I do seem to have had less injuries since I stripped the cushoning out of all my trainers and replaced them with stiff orthotics.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I also have very flat feet and do all of my running in stability shoes. Fortunately, today's stability shoes are much better than what existed 20 years ago (when I had to run full time with orthotics). My favorite are the Asics 2130's (which are being closed out in many stores at good prices --$59 -- to make room for the 2140's). I also have no problem running races and faster workouts in lightweight trainers that are in the stability category. I really liked the Asics DS Trainer 12, but found the 13's uncomfortable and am still looking for another option. The key is that they are in the stability category. I have tried racing flats that have more stability for 5k's and 10k's, but at a high risk. It is easy to hurt a knee or achilles and probably not worth the risk. Like any shoe, you should break them in by running slow for a while and rotate them. How much you weigh is also an issue. The more you weigh, the more stability you need.
            Hannibal Granite

I have feet as flat as they come and I race in flats up to half marathon. I'm faster than most, but a far cry from elite/sub-elite or whatever classification you want to make. The point of flats is that you run faster in them b/c they weigh less without all that cushioning and stability stuff in them. If you want the best of both worlds there are a number of shoes on the market now that are classified as performance stability, which are much lighter than regular trainers (though not quite as light as most 'flats') but have some stability/cushioning in them, The next marathon I run will probably be in a pair of shoes like this. Whether these lighter stability shoes or flats will be good for you I don't know.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

If you want the best of both worlds there are a number of shoes on the market now that are classified as performance stability.
                Have you tried any of these and do you have a recommendation?
                Hannibal Granite

Have you tried any of these and do you have a recommendation?
                  I have tried ASICS GEL-DS Trainers (version 11 or 12 I can't remember), The Brooks Axiom 2, The Saucony Tangent, and the Nike Zoom Elite 1,2,3 and 4. The first version of the Nike's was such a great shoe that I've gotten every version since, I ran a marathon in the first version for just the reason I stated in my earlier post, they were lighter than a usual shoe, but still had some stability/cushioning to it. However they keep getting heavier/bulkier with each version so I wouldn't personally classify the 4's as performance stability anymore just as stability though they are still listed as performance stability on websites etc. The Brooks were very good for faster paced work and for medium distance runs (8-12 miles for me), never tried them for a long run, but I think they could've handled it and would not have beat up my legs at all. They have the axiom 3 out now, but I haven't tried them. The ASICS are definately for faster paced training or racing, I'll probably use either the pair I have now or the next version (the 14's i believe) for my next marathon as there is something more to them than the flats I use for shorter races (ASICS Ohana Racers). The Tangents were Similar to the ASICS, but I didn't get as many miles out of them. I've heard good things about the Mizuno Wave Elixer 3's and the New Balance 903's, but have not tried either of them

Thanks HG for the recommendations. I really liked my Asics 12's -- and used them successfully for a couple of marathons, but the 13's were an entirely different shoe. They seemed short and wide, which decreased the arch support for my foot. The length was one full size larger than the 12's (or any other Asics shoes that I have owned) and when I moved up a size they were too wide (and also heavier). Maybe the 14's will be better. I ran the St. George Marathon this year in a tangent 3. Unfortunately, it rained the entire distance and the shoe filled with water and was probably and unfair test. I felt like I had no stability or cushioning late in the race. The shoe seems more suited for 10k's and half marathons. I am in the market now for another option to run Boston this year -- something with a little more cushioning, but still light. It is encouraging that the shoe companies are providing more light weight options for those needing more foot support.
                    protoplasm72

I have flat feet too. I've tried the DS trainers but they just don't fit right. I wouldn't ever consider regular flats. You'd most likely be fine for a few races because flat feet don't really increase your chances of sudden injuries, it mainly increases your risk of over use kind of injuries. ITBS, tendonitis, etc.. things that happen from extended strain in the wrong places. I'd rather be a little slower then completely injured so now I stick with my regular heavy shoes.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Hannibal Granite

You'd most likely be fine for a few races because flat feet don't really increase your chances of sudden injuries, it mainly increases your risk of over use kind of injuries. ITBS, tendonitis, etc.. things that happen from extended strain in the wrong places.
                        I agree with this statement, which is why I have no problem racing in true flats for distances less than marathon.

I've heard good things about the Mizuno Wave Elixer 3's and the New Balance 903's, but have not tried either of them
                          These both look pretty good on paper, I am going to stop by a running store and try them on this week.
                          dfffff

I have flat feet and I train full time in Adidas Adizero RC's. Anything in that line might be worth checking out. IMO, Adidas makes some of the best racing flats around and they seem to work well for my feet.
                              I have flat feet and I train full time in Adidas Adizero RC's. Anything in that line might be worth checking out. IMO, Adidas makes some of the best racing flats around and they seem to work well for my feet.
                              How far do you race in your Adidas RC's?
                              sluggo

John

I know that racing flats don't have much cushioning and whatnot. I have completely flat feet. Would it be a bad idea for me to invest in a pair of racing flats to run with in races? Would I risk injury?
                                My vote - you would be nuts to run/race in racing flats. Your profile says that, "my dad had 5 bypasses done in 2006 at the age of 48 and the doctor said it's hereditary." You are running for the ***LONG**** term. Don't even think about doing something that could lead to injury. I have flat feet, I am approaching 60 and there is no way I would run/race in flats.

John
                                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"