Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I was hoping some vets could advise me on Marathon Etiquette.

1) Is it excusable to discard an old sweatshirt to the side of the road at the starting gun?  Gloves during the race?

2) Spent gel packs: stuff'em in your shorts?  Hold for a water-stop and discard with the cups?  Chuck them at bystanders who mis-pronounce your name?

3) Beeping watches?  (I have a watch that could beep when I'm outside my target paces)  Annoying but tolerated?  Gauche?  Mortal sin?

4) Drafting strangers?  Farting at strangers drafting you?

5) Using strangers as wind-shields (cross-winds)? (without somehow agreeing to take turns)

6) Encouraging strangers in the last few miles?

7) Talking to strangers in an ostensible pace-group?

8) If you have to walk a water-stop, should you grab your cup at the end of the line?  I assume so.

Thanks

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

1 -  yes. They're often given to charities

2 - discard at a water stop.

3 - annoying

4 - take turns, drafting and farting.

5 - see #4

6 - yes

7 - you can try but they might no reciprocate. 

8 - if it's real crowded, get your water and then find a clear spot before you walk.  But why walk?

1) Yes. Just not where anyone will trip on it.

2) Yes. Yes. Sure, but if you can do this successfully you aren't working hard enough.

3) The other runners will not be paying any attention to you unless you are right next to them for an extended period. If you beep too much and get a glare, speed up or slow down just enough to get away from that person.

4) No. Yes.

5) See #4

6) It's a crapshoot. Some will appreciate it, some will want to kill you.

7) See #6

8) Yes, and then move wayyy over to the side, out of the way.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

1) SHirt at the start - Not only excusable, but commonplace.  Gloves, well. aim for a garbage bin or at least ditch them around an aid station.

2) Ditto. Though littering is generally frowned upon, but it is somewhat excusable in the last few miles.

3) Nobody gives a damn.

4) Drafting, Ok if you take turns. Farting not so much.

5) Wha?

6) A few words won't hurt.

7) Depends on a group.  Chatty Katties are generally not welcome, but a little banter is fine.

8) Grab your cup where you can, but for Pete's sakes don't stop dead in your tracks.  Slow down gradually and move to the side, or merge back in.

Julia1971

1) Yes.  On the course try to disgard things by the water stops.  Littering is bad.

2) Same as #1.  I try to time the eating for shortly before the water stop so I don't have to carry the trash for very long.

3) Annoying but tolerated.  The mass Garmin beeping at mile markers can actually be kinda funny.

4) This is a pet peeve of mine and I'd like to know the etiquette myself.  I suppose all's fair in racing and I should just take counter measures but it bugs me particularly when the person just takes off without a "thanks" or words of encouragement.  Not cool.

5) See #4.  I remember one race where this guy, who was taller and bigger than me, used me as a wind shield twice during a race.  I think he did say something like "nice race" after he passed me for good.  If I were a quicker wit I would have said, "I'd say.  I'm doing all the work for you!" back.

6) If you've finished, yes.  If you're running still, I would not recommend.  It tends to make people want to throw something at you and/or pass you.

7) Not sure about this one.  

8) For the love of mankind, yes!  Most of all, do not stop abruptly during the water stop.  And watch where you throw your cup so you don't throw water on someone else's shoes.

YES to all -- its all ok and especially in a Marathon...

Champions are made when no one is watching

No Talent Drips

YES to all -- its all ok and especially in a Marathon...

Agreed. Except the farting.

Drafting? Are you guys running your Marathon on a bike? What you call drafting, I call using. If you don't want me to use you, ditch me. If you are using me, well, use me up.

Dei Gratia

Julia1971

Drafting? Are you guys running your Marathon on a bike? What you call drafting, I call using. If you don't want me to use you, ditch me. If you are using me, well, use me up.

I'm thinking of the person who hangs about a foot off your shoulder.  They aren't trying to pass you, just going along for the ride. I like my space and I guess it makes me feel boxed in - like I can't move to my right/left without crossing into this person's path so I find it annoying.  So, I'll usually speed up, slow down or move in some way.

DoppleBock

I agree with these

Running with a group of stangers - Who become your best friends for as long as its mutually beneficial is a cornerstone of racing.   But unless you are looking to win the race then make sure it is mutually beneficial.  If it is a small group - say 1-4 people I usually pull up and ask if I can work with them.  If they say yes or nothing - I am in.  I do not ask to take a turn leading (especially if into the wind) - I just do it when I think its my turn.  If there is no wind or tail wind - taking a turn is not as important - Hey some people like to lead, so I do not want to step on their toes.  If no wind and  I think the pace is dropping off - I will go to the front and try to pull the group at the pace we had been running at.   I will give the group 2-3 tries over 1/2 to 1 mile to pick it back up - If they are not I might even say "Hey we have slowed - How are you all feeling?" or I might just pull away from them and look for some new friends.

It is rare for me to keep these race "Friends" past mile # 20.  They usually start dropping off at mile # 20 and I am trying to wind it up.  So it pretty much becomes a free-for-all from 20 to the end of the race.  But 20% of time I have stuck with the same group to near the finish.  Usually with 1-2 miles to go it becomes a race within the group.

** Cardinal sin - Stepping on the back of someones shoe (Easy to do when drafting) - Do not do it. 

Talking - I think this depends on your pace - If I am seriously racing - I will not waste oxygen past a few words with someone.  If someone is trying to talk too much to me - I will just say "Pace it too fast to talk much" - This might be a complete lie - But it allows them to feel superior and not expect me to talk to them.

When I approach a water stop - I stay 4-5 feet away until I go in for my cup - After I get my cup I either go back 4-5 feet out (If I want to take a 2nd cup) or go out 10+ feet to let other people in.  The only time I want to kill someone in this life if when they take their cup and then stop dead or take their cup, go a couple of feet toward middle and stop to walk. If you need to walk - My advice is to get you cup - keep you pace up until in middle of road and slowly slow down.  When 20 people are all running the same pace in the waterstop que - Trying to fit in and get something and someone walks to drink ~ Its like a car going 25-30 MPH in Chicago rush hour when everyone else is going 60-70 MPH ... Dangerous.   Just remember sometimes you have someone like me (6'3 230#) - A fully loaded semi that is going to make road kill out of you.

1 -  yes. They're often given to charities

2 - discard at a water stop.

3 - annoying

4 - take turns, drafting and farting.

5 - see #4

6 - yes

7 - you can try but they might no reciprocate. 

8 - if it's real crowded, get your water and then find a clear spot before you walk.  But why walk?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

I think "rules of engagement" are different sub 3 hrs.

My two cents: the more you focus on etiquette, the more breaches in etiquette you will see and get upset by. People are going to be doing all sorts of stupid annoying crap. They are people, and there are lots of them, and they are glycogen depleted. So, I'd try not to think about the rules too much, try not to think too much about what other folks are doing, and I'd do what works for me.

If you start letting this stuff get into your head during the race, you are not going to run well.

xor

Speaking from the perspective of a 3:25-3:40ish marathoner, the drafting thing bothers the heck out of me.  I do NOT like when someone automatically tucks in right behind me (I mean RIGHT BEHIND me) without even asking and stays there and stays there.

1. You are using me.  Shoo.

2. You are annoying me.  Shoo.

3. I'm probably running 8ish minute miles.  Come on now.

But that's just me.  I can't figure that drafting helps a whole-whole bunch in the midpack unless the wind is a straight-on headwind... but while I have run in some windy mofo races, I haven't taken the time to try it enough.  Because it seems kind of goofy.

ymmv

Just please don't get behind me.

Oh, and to the dude at the end of the Park City Marathon in 2010 who decided heading into the last 50 feet of the race to step in front of me and slow slightly so I couldn't get around: dude, we ran a 4:10.  Settle down.

#artbydmcbride

I agree with the Russian29....and Jeff

Runners run

DoppleBock

About 2 miles into a 10 mile race - I had some guy scream at me that he could not handle my heavy breathing.  There was no wind - So I was not really drafting.  He had passed me at 1 mile and I was just running behind him.  Road was open to traffic, so I am going to run on the side of the road.  He was running the pace I wanted, so I had no reason or really did not have the power to pass him - I was on the edge of pace.  I had no reason to back off either. 

At mile #3 he yelled at me again and took off - Eventually gapping me by @ 1/4 mile.  Mile # 7 I passed him and beat him by over a minute. 

1)  Sometimes you just annoy other people - Some people are over sensitive - Sometimes we are just annoying.  I do breathe very heavy.

2)  Even if the road was closed, I would likely had stuck right behind him - I was doing nothing wrong. - Point #2 - Sometimes you are the ass-hole, sometimes the other guy is - Don't take life too seriously.  Racing isn't about making other people happy or about other people making you happy.

3)  You need to do whatever helps you run your best race - Within reasonable etiquette.  I am not going to push anyone or cut them off on purpose.  I will take my turn leading the draft into the wind, I will not spit on anyone, I will try and drop to the back of the pack to drop ass.  I will not slow down because you are physically weak.  I will not run on the other side of the road because of your mental weakness. 

4)  There comes a time in every race when its time to race.  In shorter races its at the sound of the gun, in marathons or longer its whenever you or I decide its time.  When its time to race - Physically I will not push you or trip you, but I will try to get ahead of you going into a corner, I will play every psycological game I can to gain an advantage.  I will run off your shoulder - especially if you do not like it.  I will act like the pace is effortless, even if it is not.  I will try to sneak up on you and then pass with authority.  If I feel much stronger and my main goal is to beat you - I may play with you like a cat plays with a mouse ... until the last mile, then I will try and make you cry.

DoppleBock

The only time drafting pisses me off is ... Say there is a 6 mile segment into a strong wind and someone tucks in behind - After a mile, I would expect you to offer to lead a bit.  After 2 miles I will ask you to lead a bit.  Sometime between 2 and 3 miles I will either slow down to make you lead or punch you in the throat.

DoppleBock

run into a 20 MPH wind leading and then following - Huge difference.  I agree drafting without wind is more of a psycological "Pacing" - Throw in a strong wind and it is drafting. 

Agreed. Except the farting.