Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

xor

>> Or when you get to the top of a big jump (Blind) and someone has decided under it is a good place to stand

Yes.  Or in my case, "where the snowboarders decided to stop and light up."

GAH.

Potsmoking snowbooooooaaaarderssssss!

(no, I'm not intentionally trolling for the "well, wait. Most of us snowboarders are actually..."   Just my limited experience with the snowboarders who decide 'beneath the ledge' is a good place to sit)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Track" may be a regional thing,.  I forget where I learned it, but some people understand it and it is shorter/easier to say than "On your left/right". 

So does it mean "on your left"?  As in, "I'm approaching on the inside of this invisible track we're running on that has a slight curve to the left as it goes around the world?"

Also, which region is this native to?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Scout7

So does it mean "on your left"?  As in, "I'm approaching on the inside of this invisible track we're running on that has a slight curve to the left as it goes around the world?"

Also, which region is this native to?

I am from Pennsylvania.

And yes, you have the general gist of the meaning.  Generally it's "Move to your right, please".

DoppleBock

"Track" is commonly used in WI also

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think "track!" is not too regional. I also think a lot of walkers (and of course the iplodders) are completely oblivious.

It has been my experience generally in single-track trail races that asking to pass gets me space to pass. Sometimes when someone tucks in behind me on single-track, I offer to let them by, or tell them to sing out if they want to pass. I can understand logically that preventing someone from passing would be a reasonable race tactic, but I have never wanted to employ that tactic.

By contrast, in a track race -- I mean, where we're all racing, not just out doing workouts -- I don't expect people to yield the inside of lane 1 -- why should they?  But some do, and I'm grateful when they do. And I do sometimes as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Still not sure what I'm supposed to do if someone behind me yells Track!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Still not sure what I'm supposed to do if someone behind me yells Track!

They are requesting the inside of lane 1 -- they're asking you to move toward the outside. Probably.

Or perhaps more generally, they're announcing that they're coming up toward you from the rear, and they want to you to glance behind and make room. But usually this means moving away from the inside. That's my guess.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oh yeah on a track, where I never run.  On a street or trail, it would be weird, no?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I guess I'd assume it was some kid who runs track, and is calling for me to get out of his/her way, in analogy. Hasn't happened to me.

xor

This is a sincere response...

If I'm running roads and someone yells "track!", I think my gut reaction would be to look for the hazard... in this case a railroad track... that I'd need to step over.  Like when someone yells "hole" or "curb" or "tree limb" in a crowd.  But then, a lot of my runs are on a bike path that goes in and around a BNSF train yard.

Why is it sideways?

The yelling of "track" is appropriate at a track practice when you have a track full of people running around and walking across the track. You wouldn't yell it at a race unless someone happens to be paying no attention at all and walking in front of an ongoing event. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...You wouldn't yell it at a race unless someone happens to be paying no attention at all and walking in front of an ongoing event. 

Ok, yes, I've seen this -- and actually I've been the one yelling -- when a 400 field is coming around the turn and some spectator is crossing the track with a kid.

Why is it sideways?

Ok, yes, I've seen this -- and actually I've been the one yelling -- when a 400 field is coming around the turn and some spectator is crossing the track with a kid.

Yeah, it actually happens a lot. People being people and all.

DoppleBock

I just make enough noise on the paths, streets or trails not to scare the crap out of people - My super annoying pet peave is when people are walking 2 dogs and have each at the end of its leash on opposite sides of the trail - Completely blocking it off and then seem annoyed that they have to do anything to let you past.

Oh yeah on a track, where I never run.  On a street or trail, it would be weird, no?

DoppleBock

When running a marathon on a 2 wide track (Petit Ice Center) it becomes appropriate to say track so slow people can get out of the way of faster people.

When I used to run on the track there was one young woman I wanted to punch in the throat - She new I was there and trying to run a speed workout - just like she was, but would walk her recoveries in the 1st lane. 

The yelling of "track" is appropriate at a track practice when you have a track full of people running around and walking across the track. You wouldn't yell it at a race unless someone happens to be paying no attention at all and walking in front of an ongoing event.