Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

Why is it sideways?

When running a marathon on a 2 wide track (Petit Ice Center) it becomes appropriate to say track so slow people can get out of the way of faster people.

When I used to run on the track there was one young woman I wanted to punch in the throat - She new I was there and trying to run a speed workout - just like she was, but would walk her recoveries in the 1st lane. 

Oh man, there is nothing to raise the ire like people walking or jogging in lane one. I get all angsty just thinking about it!

I'm wondering if one's view of drafting is colored by experience in track and field.  When I ran track (yes, on cinders), you led or you tucked in.  Tight.  If you didn't want someone behind you, you had to do something about it.

These days, I will unabashedly draft in road races.  I don't crawl inside the shirt of my wind barrier, though.  You can feel the difference in the wind from a few feet back -- you don't have to be NASCAR about it.  Neither will I veer all over the road to stay in the draft, especially if I think the person is veering to get me out of there.  And if my rolling barrier is running a nice pace and seems capable of sustaining it, I'll volunteer to take a turn punching a hole in the wind for him/her.

The only time I've had an issue was I tucked in behind a guy on a cold, blustery day.  He heard me after a while, looked left, looked right, then asked, "Are you keeping warm back there?" Surprised  So I pulled up next to him and we ran together for a while.  Nice guy, and we chat when we meet at local races.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Scout7

OK, I do not generally yell out "Track" automatically.  I generally start with "On your left", "Behind you", or something else akin to that.  More often, I just swerve around them.

However, if that doesn't work, I start trying other things, "Track" being one of them.  "Hey asshole" is another.  Not my first option, but it could be used.

Yes, "Track" is generally used in track races.  I have heard it in XC/trail races as well, and the meaning is generally to move over some so I can slip past you, because there are more obstacles on a trail.  I have used "Track" during road races, with the desired effect, namely that someone became aware of my presence.  This tends to be an issue with people wearing headphones and blaring music.

xor

>> I'm wondering if one's view of drafting is colored by experience in track and field.

Maybe that's it.  My knowledge of track in high school was that... the football field was in the middle.

Also, I started adult life as an old school triathlete.  Drafting on the bike was (and still is, in most long races) super verbotten.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Also, I started adult life as an old school triathlete.  Drafting on the bike was (and still is, in most long races) super verboten.

Unless you're professional...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

That would have been more my style.

Truly if you are going to draft off of me - I do not want to hear one word of compaint about my flatulance!

The only time I've had an issue was I tucked in behind a guy on a cold, blustery day.  He heard me after a while, looked left, looked right, then asked, "Are you keeping warm back there or should I turn up the gas?" Surprised  So I pulled up next to him and we ran together for a while.  Nice guy, and we chat when we meet at local races.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

You corrected my bad german.  Ha.

I dunno the current state of the triathlon rules, but when I was a younger man, the pros couldn't draft either.  (I just brought it up because that's the environment where I learned.  And so it wigs me out when someone drafts)

I dunno the current state of the triathlon rules, but when I was a younger man, the pros couldn't draft either.  (I just brought it up because that's the environment where I learned.  And so it wigs me out when someone drafts)

Ya, no drafting in triathlon.  3 bike lengths between riders.

The triathlon bikes aren't designed to ride in groups as they aren't forgiving when needing to move quickly to the left / right.

However, I have watched some good professional Olympic distance triathlon on TV from Europe.  They draft, but they don't ride with the aerobars, and have traditional road bikes.  That's some very entertaining TV.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Scout7

There are draft-legal triathlons (ITU races are), but most of them are not.

qwerty85

I was hoping some vets could advise me on Marathon Etiquette.

1) Is it excusable to discard an old sweatshirt to the side of the road at the starting gun?  Gloves during the race?

2) Spent gel packs: stuff'em in your shorts?  Hold for a water-stop and discard with the cups?  Chuck them at bystanders who mis-pronounce your name?

3) Beeping watches?  (I have a watch that could beep when I'm outside my target paces)  Annoying but tolerated?  Gauche?  Mortal sin?

4) Drafting strangers?  Farting at strangers drafting you?

5) Using strangers as wind-shields (cross-winds)? (without somehow agreeing to take turns)

6) Encouraging strangers in the last few miles?

7) Talking to strangers in an ostensible pace-group?

8) If you have to walk a water-stop, should you grab your cup at the end of the line?  I assume so.

Thanks

1.  Encouraged. Gets donated to charity at a lot of races.

2.   I drop at the waterstop. I  usually take them when I can see the waterstop coming so I can drink with them, so this isn't too long.  Seems like littering to drop elsewhere.

3.  At mile markers, not a big deal.  Beeping constantly, would be annoying. 

4/5.  It annoys me if somebody drafts off me without permission.  I don't think it makes a huge difference in a marathon.  I have offered for someone suffering in a very windy race in the every bit helps idea.   I had one guy on my heels that I was sure was going to step on me and he just stayed with me through some wild swerving.  He was bigger then me but that just annoyed me more so I took the risk and stopped dead to a walk in front of him. He crashed into me. Which should show you how close he was.  I didn't get hurt and he stayed away afterwards, so yay.  I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't been intent on staying when I tried to shake him.  It just seemed stupid - the drafting effect is not as strong in running as some other sports; he was taller than me - what was I breaking; and we were running a 4 hour marathon not going for the gold. No need to make me feel like I'm about to be attacked.

6.  I do it. Sometimes I get a look that suggests the runner would be most pleased if I dropped dead, and sometimes I get thanked at the end.   If someone does it to me, it's possible they would get either reaction and it's not personal and in general I like it so I go right on doing it.

7.  Talk away.  Don't be offended if they don't talk back.  I'll tell people that I won't be offended if they tell me to shut up, but I'll talk to them.  I don;t know at the front of the pack, but a lot of the women at 3:30 on back I've talked to have been hoping for somebody to talk to.  If they join a pace group, it is even more likely. (I have only led pace groups at 4 hours and slower so may not apply at the front of the pack.  As with everything else I say.  I am not quite sure about those strange animals up there.)

8. Yes - definitely at least make sure you aren't stopping cold (I mean, unless they're drafting - haha)  - Grabbing wherever is fine, but hold it until you can move off to the side before walking.

Just how I feel about them. 

Oh man, there is nothing to raise the ire like people walking or jogging in lane one. I get all angsty just thinking about it!

There is nothing that pisses me off more than stupid people that are in the wrong lanes at the Y.  It's clearly printed that there are lanes for walking, jogging, and running.  There is one lady that runs very slow in the running lane, and will also stop and walk in that lane.  And I'm trying to do a workout.  I hate her.  I try to brush by her as close as I can when I'm running.  Yes, I'm that jerk.  But I'm not the jerk that is so discourteous as to be doing my thing in the wrong lane.

On top of that, three times this morning, people almost ran into me while trying to enter or cross the track--and one of them was an employee.

I think my blood pressure just shot up a 100 points now.

I guess I deviated from marathon etiquette to etiquette, in general.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

#artbydmcbride

If it is uber windy, I will tuck in behind a big guy.    Blush

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

We yell 'track' in California too, meaning "please move to the right before I crash into you."

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

A friend from VA told me today that he grokked "Track" and explained it as "Someone is asking to pass, and you should offer the most efficient route to him."  That is, on a normal track it would be the inside of lane 1.  If going around a turn to the right on a road, you would offer him the inside of that turn (hence you'd move left).

As for drafting: I'm a tall one.  I'll draft off a little guy -- because it's better than nothing.

And your track had cinders?!  We just had gravel -- and really long spikes.  Watch out for the mud on the inside of turn four, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

I'm wondering if one's view of drafting is colored by experience in track and field.  When I ran track (yes, on cinders), you led or you tucked in.  Tight.  If you didn't want someone behind you, you had to do something about it.

I ran track in high school - 100, 200, and 400.  I had a lane.  I stayed in it and I liked it that way.  Unless I was running the mile relay whereupon I totally. freaked. out.  Smile

Like SRLopez said.  It just seems rather ridiculous for us mid-packers doing 8:00 miles and the like to draft.  Although, at shorter races, sometimes I am competing for an AG award.

So, it seems like the proper protocol is to ask and then speak up if you're doing all the work (or punch them in the throat).