Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

I hate to be a hater but those ladies need to learn how to come out of blocks...  They all stood right up!  What's the point of having them?  Ugh.  Really, I tried to move on with my life and block this all out.  Please don't let anyone post about long jump/triple jump.  I will lose it.

Is there any point to triple jump other than punishing athletes the coaches don't like? That's how I wound up doing it, despite being neither much of a jumper nor very coordinated (I was a swimmer using track as a way to stay in shape and an excuse for a couple of months off from year round swimming). Think Month Python's Ministry of Silly Walks and you get an idea of my triple jumps.
    Julia1971

Is there any point to triple jump other than punishing athletes the coaches don't like?

LOL!  I think that's exactly the point.  Who came up with this event?  I was fairly good at it but could never do the snap thing at the end where you pop your arms and legs forward.  I remember practing it over and over.  My coach berating me:  "You gotta snap".  Ugh!  Can't we just agree I'm never going to get this?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

At our school the event was Pole Vault.  We had 15yo poles that were just waiting to find an excuse to snap.  There was no instruction on form.  There was no expectation that we'd clear the minimum height.  During practice, most of the time we just hung out on the mats.  And the most-unpolevault-like body-types were picked to do this: over 6' string-beans with no upper body strength (me), overweight guys who couldn't master the shot-put, etc.

All that changed when a rich kid of 5' 8" had his dad buy his own pole (which actually flexed under weight!).  He set the school record in his freshman year, I think.  Not sure where he actually learned the correct form, but man it was a marvel to watch.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

The thread was about etiquette and I commented that it annoyed me.  It shows that not everyone appreciates drafting.  (If you'd like more intel on my annoyances, PM me and we can become friends on Facebook and you can get a more complete picture.  Fair warning: it's mostly bus riding etiquette.)  Note in the aforementioned reference I didn't stop running, cry, body check the dude, or punch him in the throat...  I noticed it and it bugged.  I finished 5th overall and 1st in AG.  I got a gift certificate and bought running bling.

FWIW, my bit about not understanding the drafting peeve was more a response to numerous posts in that vein.  I can see how my writing it after quoting your post may have been deceptive -- my bad.

[break]

I draft.  I've been drafted.  (Drafted on?  Drafted behind?)  Unless the drafter is crawling up my ass (i.e., absent some risk of being tripped or having to chop my stride to avoid it), the mere fact that he's putting out less effort by running in my slipstream (such as it is) never bothered me.  To me, that's just part of racing.  I'm just trying to understand the position of folks on the other side of this one.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

HermosaBoy

Well, I don't draft and would prefer that others not try to draft behind me.  But this is more of a practical issue.

I have short strides and take a lot of them (190 per minute?).  If I try to tuck in behind someone (or vice verse), we are looking at a trip coming for one or both of us.  Wish I could draft, but I prefer to stay upright...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I don't really care about any of that.  What bothers me is the women who bump into someone that isn't really a friend, but a friend of a friend, and they proceed to share their life story.  It inspires me to hurry the heck up, but you get to hear that same voice randomly at aid stations as they catch up. 

I've had people draft very close behind, but always found that at some point they get alongside you and chat.  I guess if they were bothering me that much I'd do what I do when driving and slow down. 

Now if they spit and it's anywhere close to my direction, I'm likely to mumble something sarcastic. 

Julia1971

FWIW, my bit about not understanding the drafting peeve was more a response to numerous posts in that vein.  I can see how my writing it after quoting your post may have been deceptive -- my bad.

[break]

I draft.  I've been drafted.  (Drafted on?  Drafted behind?)  Unless the drafter is crawling up my ass (i.e., absent some risk of being tripped or having to chop my stride to avoid it), the mere fact that he's putting out less effort by running in my slipstream (such as it is) never bothered me.  To me, that's just part of racing.  I'm just trying to understand the position of folks on the other side of this one.

For me, it's the idea that I'm being used, as someone else said, and I know it. Someone is gaining an advantage due to my work - and as a result I'm having to work harder - and they aren't giving me back anything in return. I get that it's part of racing and it's fair/not cheating but it does bother me. I appreciate the people who at least acknowledge the help, though - a "good job", a head nod... I've tucked in groups of runners myself but it's always a) a group and b) for a few minutes. I'm a pass or be passed type of runner. I don't really like running with people.

Still not sure what I'm supposed to do if someone behind me yells Track!

First, make sure they didn't actually yell "Truck!" That would be unfortunate.

xor

"I said lunch, not launch!"

Someone will get that.

dennrunner

"I said lunch, not launch!"

Someone will get that.

Is there anything you haven't watched?

Feeling the growl again

For me, it's the idea that I'm being used, as someone else said, and I know it. Someone is gaining an advantage due to my work - and as a result I'm having to work harder - and they aren't giving me back anything in return. I get that it's part of racing and it's fair/not cheating but it does bother me. I appreciate the people who at least acknowledge the help, though - a "good job", a head nod... I've tucked in groups of runners myself but it's always a) a group and b) for a few minutes. I'm a pass or be passed type of runner. I don't really like running with people.

I don't particularly like being used as a windblock by random people, but it's certainly part of racing and not something I slight them for doing.  Especially if some sort of racing objective (like a win) is on the line.  The last race I did there was someone who was a very astute tactical racer, and it was windy...you can guess what happened.  But I also put in surges etc to keep the playing field even and minimizing the amount of drafting done off me.

In marathons....assuming it's not up front contesting for the win....there have been multiple times I've struck up conversation with random people several miles in, who seem to be pacing for about the same type of race as me.  If our goals are similar, we've struck agreements to help each other out...like taking turns being the windblock on sections with headwind.  This is a mutually beneficial relationship.  You have good spots and bad spots in a marathon, and it's always nice to have someone you can draft behind while you work through a bad spot, then maybe return the favor.

The other tactic I've used is the "you help me, I help you, then every man for himself" strategy.  For example when I ran my 10K PR I led about the first 2 miles, IIRC.  As I then ramped up the pace to where it needed to be to hit my goal and only 2 guys sucked in behind me, I looked over my shoulder and actually told them that if they wanted help to go under 31 they were going to have to do some work with me or we wouldn't make it.  It was a "team" effort from there on out....right up until the last 3 laps, which were bitterly contested.  But as a result all 3 of us ended up faster.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

"Shared pain is less pain." Group running actually works best when all are on board.

In college track races, the group forms up and everyone knows what's going on. We are all using each other. You keep the pace honest, you stay relaxed, and you just roll. That's the experience factor.

It is good to use and to be used, if you are in the right frame of mind. As in all relationships, the use and be used thing can go south in a hurry.

DoppleBock

In mid-pack marathon 2:45 - 3:00 pace.  There are times that a group slows you down and times it is the only reason you hold pace.  I guess if you feel it is holding you back you move on out.

I find (When wind is not a factor) that many novice marathoners like to run in a group as they are very unsure of how to pace.  They know what their goal is, they feel "Good" and want to run faster or just do not know what marathon pace is and want to run with others to help.  I usually run alone if I feel good on a windless day.  In the marathons where I feel I was pushing the red-line from the start or just felt crappy from the start.  I really like company.

I guess even in a good race there are 3-6 times where you have dark moments where it is easier just to let someone force you to keep up then you force yourself to keep pace.

It can be really a downer if you are running with a group - Say at 6:30 pace and 2 or 3 guys drop down to 6:15 at mile # 20 and leave you behind as you fail to match up.  But it can be really fun to do that to a group.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

dennrunner

In mid-pack marathon 2:45 - 3:00 pace....

Mid-pack? Hey, this isn't 1980.

I know you're good, DB.  But damn!  That categorization is discouraging for us slower or older folks.

DoppleBock

Don't be

To me there is the lead group (Has opportunity to win) ... the midpack and people who are having trouble making the cut-off.  So I am categorizing pretty much all that do not have a chance at winning as mid-pack.

Mid-pack? Hey, this isn't 1980.

I know you're good, DB.  But damn!  That categorization is discouraging for us slower or older folks.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !