The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else watching?  Wow.  I mean, I love the genre, anyhow, but this is just so SO well done and lacks the campiness of most zombie movies, which makes them more funny than terrifying.  The director is the same dude who did The Shawshank Redemption...it definitely shows.  All of the characters are so well-developed after the first episode.  I especially like the father and son...

...spoiler....

who lost the wife/mother, but still are having her visit.  The torture these 2 guys are still enduring after her "death" is really gripping (I had such a tough time watching that previously tough boy sobbing after seeing his "mother").  I really like the way the zombies are being portrayed as still retaining some small shred of who they were before becoming ill and the way the Sheriff Rick feels torn shooting the "walkers."  I also like that this isn't the sort of scenario where zombies come about moments after a bite...it's a more realistically portrayed virus that takes days to destroy the previously healthy person.

I think I am not going to like the sheriff's wife and his partner by the end of the series.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

my husband and i watched it last night. i am into the vampire stuff and he loves zombies so i watched it with him. we loved it and have the series set to record!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm pretty much already planning on purchasing the series on DVD when it becomes available, assuming this level of quality continues for the duration.  I am eagerly awaiting next Sunday's installment.  I haven't been this absorbed by any show since the X-Files...Sunday nights are must-see TV night, again!

~ Sarah Kay

Durrr

The premise of someone waking up from a coma in a hospital and finding himself amidst a zombie apocalypse --- to his utter bewilderment --- is very 28 Days Later,  but this series does a fascinating job of translating it to an American setting (as opposed to British). And that poor horse ...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The premise of someone waking up from a coma in a hospital and finding himself amidst a zombie apocalypse --- to his utter bewilderment --- is very 28 Days Later,  but this series does a fascinating job of translating it to an American setting (as opposed to British). And that poor horse ...

I'm looking forward to finding out what caused this zombie apocalypse...whether it is similar to 28 Days Later and result of experimentation-gone-wrong or something else.

The horse...poor guy.  But I think he was lucky to survive the zombies that hit his farm.  That is a bit of a plot-hole.  How did the zombies not go after him while he was penned-up?  We know they are not averse to eating horse-flesh.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

The horse...poor guy.  But I think he was lucky to survive the zombies that hit his farm.  That is a bit of a plot-hole.  How did the zombies not go after him while he was penned-up?  We know they are not averse to eating horse-flesh.

I don't think the zombies hit the farm. Remember when the cop looked into the window, there was a sign or writing "God will forgive us" some something like it and the implication was the occupants took their own lives, or at least a murder/suicide deal. One corpse had a shotgun pointed to his head and splatter against the wall, the other was lying on the floor with an apparent gunshot as well.

The first episode was pretty good. I hope it holds up.

As much as I love zombie flicks, there is always one question I always have. As much literature/films/lore as there is about zombies in our world, there seems to be none of this in most zombie flicks. Its like the people in the movies never heard of a zombie. Its not even : "Crap, is as if these people are zombies, but that can't possibly be true!!"  It's just like no one ever heard of them. If it was me, I'd be like : " Holy Shit!! It finally happened, real brain eating zombies!!!  Get my F*&^%n' gun!" 

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think the zombies hit the farm. Remember when the cop looked into the window, there was a sign or writing "God will forgive us" some something like it and the implication was the occupants took their own lives, or at least a murder/suicide deal. One corpse had a shotgun pointed to his head and splatter against the wall, the other was lying on the floor with an apparent gunshot as well.

The first episode was pretty good. I hope it holds up.

As much as I love zombie flicks, there is always one question I always have. As much literature/films/lore as there is about zombies in our world, there seems to be none of this in most zombie flicks. Its like the people in the movies never heard of a zombie. Its not even : "Crap, is as if these people are zombies, but that can't possibly be true!!"  It's just like no one ever heard of them. If it was me, I'd be like : " Holy Shit!! It finally happened, real brain eating zombies!!!  Get my F*&^%n' gun!" 

Ha, I read something yesterday that asked the very same question.  I'd have your reaction, only mine would be more "shit, we don't have guns...rule #1: cardio!"

For some reason the farm couple had me thinking that they must have spotted zombies on their property and that was what had them take drastic measures, but now that I think about it, had they spotted them I'll bet the zombies still would have munched on their corpses, anyhow.  So that eliminates that plot hole.

Initially I thought this was supposed to be just a miniseries, but something else I read suggested if it does really well that it may be tagged for a second season.  That would be cool, but I hope it doesn't end up being one of those shows that starts off strong and then fizzles as they run out of storyline.  I'd rather see it as a miniseries than a longer one that loses interest and drags the entire show down.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Initially I thought this was supposed to be just a miniseries, but something else I read suggested if it does really well that it may be tagged for a second season.  That would be cool, but I hope it doesn't end up being one of those shows that starts off strong and then fizzles as they run out of storyline.  I'd rather see it as a miniseries than a longer one that loses interest and drags the entire show down.

I thought I remember reading that it's supposed to be a 6 episode run or something like that.  I agree that it makes more sense for it to not drag out too long, and I wish more series would have a definite end-date. 

The best thing the Lost show runners did was negotiate for a specific end season for their show.  Every episode of Law and Order or CSI is a one-off, so it doesn't really matter; serial dramas have much tighter storytelling when they don't have to spin their wheels.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't recognize what marathon "AMC" is?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You'll ruin your knees!

Although the gestation period was quite short, this was one good zombie flick...

...oh, and "don't forget to kill Phillip!" 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought I remember reading that it's supposed to be a 6 episode run or something like that.  I agree that it makes more sense for it to not drag out too long, and I wish more series would have a definite end-date. 

The best thing the Lost show runners did was negotiate for a specific end season for their show.  Every episode of Law and Order or CSI is a one-off, so it doesn't really matter; serial dramas have much tighter storytelling when they don't have to spin their wheels.

The X-Files kinda lost it when Duchovny left...I wish they would have ended that series a year or two later, even though I really think Robert Patrick is awesome...but X-files without Mulder just wasn't really the same.

~ Sarah Kay

You Are Beautiful.

I liked it! I'm excited. I don't like the "cliffhanger" ending though. I get the feeling that will happen a lot.

It reminded me a LOT of 28DL. I was waiting for a car alarm to go off. I like that the world is still somewhat treating zombies like humans.

And yeah, what the frig is up with Frank's wife?!?!

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                          Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Although the gestation period was quite short, this was one good zombie flick...

...oh, and "don't forget to kill Phillip!" 

You've got red on you. 

We just introduced Dane to SotD a couple of weekends ago.  He loved it.  Now he wants a pet Ed.  Our biggest fear of having him watch that was the language he could pick up, but so far he hasn't uttered fuck-a-doodle-doo, so I think we're safe.

I don't think we will have him watch The Walking Dead, though.  It's a bit too heavy and real for a kid who isn't yet 10.  Maybe if he were 11 or 12 he could handle it, but it's not funny and the story lines are intense.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And yeah, what the frig is up with Frank's wife?!?!

I don't like her.  I hope the zombies get her. Evil

~ Sarah Kay

ultramarathon/triathlete

Its like the people in the movies never heard of a zombie. Its not even : "Crap, is as if these people are zombies, but that can't possibly be true!!"  It's just like no one ever heard of them. If it was me, I'd be like : " Holy Shit!! It finally happened, real brain eating zombies!!!  Get my F*&^%n' gun!" 

Dude, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the teaser trailer for Walking Dead last night (that and, haven't I seen this EXACT premise in 28 days later!!!!!).

The show looks good, though less than original, but seriously, people always seem to slowly approach these half dead folks, then they get chased, and often caught.  If it was me and I saw someone that looked even remotely dead, I'd turn tail and run like hell.  And I'd be thinking "WTF, real zombies?!"   I'd probably head home to grab the Zombie Survival Guide my wife bought me last year Wink

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team