The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

What is this "video store" you speak of?  

There is still a Blockbuster in my city. Haven't set foot in it in at least 2 years. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What is this "video store" you speak of?  

I'm married to a luddite.  He wisely has dragged his feet on Blu-ray, though.  He talks about wanting to hook our TV up to the HD on his computer and drop cable, altogether, but can't be bothered to pull the plug, yet.  Seeing as how we only watch 3 shows (TWD, Hell on Wheels, Castle) on a regular basis it would make more sense to simply purchase the episodes and watch them through the computer.  Even purchasing them would be FAR  cheaper than paying for monthly cable.  Now there are so many online rental options, too, which is pretty nifty.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Something I was thinking about today...if I had to pick one character who has really evolved and is pretty well portrayed, I'd have to pick Carl.  They cast that kid well.  He started out as a really naive and very curious little boy and over the course of a couple of seasons has progressed into a strong/silent type tween.  They could have made him surly and angry, but mostly he just comes across as sad and frustrated, but mature and independent beyond his years.  Granted, he'd likely not have survived this long were that not the case.  It will be really interesting to see how he will certainly be different after losing his mother and having to be the one to officially take her life.  I can't even begin to predict how this will play out, though I suspect it will be in the form of some serious antagonism between him and Rick.  And the relationship between him and his new sibling...?  He could either be this kid's protector or forever hold a grudge against the baby for indirectly killing his mom.

~ Sarah Kay

Doc, my tooth hurts

DS has read these books repeatedly and is really excited for a movie.  He has educated us on the 10 lessons repeatedly.  7 is a rule we've got!  Our only question is mtn or CX?  The CX is lighter and faster, but cantilever brakes are noisy and could attract attention.  Discs are quieter.

I need to read these.  What sort of role will Pitt be playing?  I miss him in sort of unhinged roles, like his characters in 12 Monkeys and Inglourious Basterds.

Everything I have heard about World War Z movie wise is that it really has nothing to do with the book. Here is a list of things I've read it has in common with the book.

1)The Name

From the synopsis I've read it sounds like every other zombie movie ever made.

I don't have my hopes too high for the movie, I loved the book though.

I just watched Sunday's episode and I have to say it was fantastic. There were more tense moments and character developments than there were all last season. I'm so glad I stuck it out through last season and didn't give up on this show.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There were more tense moments and character developments than there were all last season. I'm so glad I stuck it out through last season and didn't give up on this show.

I have a feeling a lot of people feel this way.  Last season was boring for the first half and I think a lot of people gave up.

~ Sarah Kay

lagwagon

I agree, this season so far much better than season 2.  Of course, we could spend the next 5 episodes establishing that the Guv is a creep and  blah blah blah.  I think we need Michone (sp?) to evolve quickly and go fruit ninja on the Guv and Merle.

As far as this "reading" thing some of you speak of, is the Z book a good start as far as written zombie pr0n goes?

12-week layoff

WWZ is a good book, but it's really more a commentary on humanity than it is a juicy zombie story. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

WWZ is a good book, but it's really more a commentary on humanity than it is a juicy zombie story. 

WWZ does, in a sense, fill in some of the missing pieces of The Walking Dead.   By that, I mean that TWD spent almost no time on what was happening as the outbreak was occurring and spreading.  TWD tells us almost nothing about how the government, military, and other institutions responded as the crisis unfolded.  Now granted, the story is about the survivors and the world after, but I'm fascinated with contemplating what the during must've been like.  WWZ really covers that territory, quite chillingly.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WWZ trailer looks pretty freakin' good....looks like the fast 28DL variety of infected...

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

WWZ trailer looks pretty freakin' good....looks like the fast 28DL variety of infected...

Speaking of 28DL, I never really got that movie.  First of all, I dont think they were really zombies/undead.  From what I gathered they were infected with "Anger" or something from the monkey at the beginning.  So they didnt really die, but just became angry/violent and uncontrollable.  But did they actually eat people?  I havent seen it in a while, but I dont remember any scenes where they did.

Anyway, given that I dont think they were undead/eating people, and were just violent it never made sense to me that they didnt attack each other.  I can get that undead dont attack other undead because they are looking for fresh food.  But in 28DL I dont think that's the case.

The trailer was pretty good for WWZ, but from the scenes I saw it looked like the zombies were 1) Really fast 2) pretty well organized and attacking in waves 

I need to reread the book I think to see if the zombies the WWZ were fast or slow.  I seem to recall them being relatively slow in a few chapters at least - though they were relentless.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of 28DL, I never really got that movie.  First of all, I dont think they were really zombies/undead.  From what I gathered they were infected with "Anger" or something from the monkey at the beginning.  So they didnt really die, but just became angry/violent and uncontrollable.  But did they actually eat people?  I havent seen it in a while, but I dont remember any scenes where they did.

Anyway, given that I dont think they were undead/eating people, and were just violent it never made sense to me that they didnt attack each other.  I can get that undead dont attack other undead because they are looking for fresh food.  But in 28DL I dont think that's the case.

The trailer was pretty good for WWZ, but from the scenes I saw it looked like the zombies were 1) Really fast 2) pretty well organized and attacking in waves 

I need to reread the book I think to see if the zombies the WWZ were fast or slow.  I seem to recall them being relatively slow in a few chapters at least - though they were relentless.

I've yet to read WWZ, but clearly I need to, now.

28 Days/Weeks Later are often treated as zombie movies, but they really aren't.  I think they get lumped-together with zombie flicks because there isn't nearly as large a genre for the infectious disease apocalypse films.  That's a really good question why the rage afflicted don't attack each other, but I think that virus had the effect of making its host want to spread the virus...which guarantees the propagation of the virus.  Wasn't I Am Legend kind of along the same lines?  Human created virus that spread by afflicted Humans attacking one-another.  I've seen that film classified as zombie apocalypse, but it's really not.

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

I've yet to read WWZ, but clearly I need to, now.

28 Days/Weeks Later are often treated as zombie movies, but they really aren't.  I think they get lumped-together with zombie flicks because there isn't nearly as large a genre for the infectious disease apocalypse films.  That's a really good question why the rage afflicted don't attack each other, but I think that virus had the effect of making its host want to spread the virus...which guarantees the propagation of the virus.  Wasn't I Am Legend kind of along the same lines?  Human created virus that spread by afflicted Humans attacking one-another.  I've seen that film classified as zombie apocalypse, but it's really not.

Yeah, I Am Legend I actually think of them more like vampires I think because they had that sesitivity to sunlight.  But again, never really got into whether they ate victims and drank blood or were trying to spread teh virus.  I think in that movie they were more like 28DL with the anger/rage thing going on.  But in I Am Legend they still kept some of their mental capacities - they definitely lived in groups, and hunted in groups, and from what I gathered that lead zombie guy was pissed because Will Smith had taken his mate hostage.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

World War Z zombies were slow in the book.  More or less like Walking Dead zombies except that in WWZ, humanity was not already infected.    Within the logic of the zombie world, fast zombies don't make any sense, which is probably one reason why the 28 Days Later chose to use living/raging humans.

But while WWZ zombies look fast, they still seem dumb as shit because there's a lot of scenes of them running right off of tall things.  I'm not sure how organized the waves are; they just appeared to be energetic enough to climb over each other.

The WWZ people have clearly made a choice to change the zombie style to amp up the excitement.  Plus, I imagine they want to differentiate their product from TWD -- no point in doing a movie about slow zombies when the TV show is already doing it so well.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I still say something's in the tea, or other beverages supplied in the gov's town.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

#thewalkingdaughter = LOLs!

~ Sarah Kay