Does Treadmill Running Ruin Your Stride? (Read 1001 times)

I'm back to running after a "2 month layoff" that turned into 5 years and 30 pounds...long story that I'm sure a lot of you all have been through...I've been running on a treadmill for about 2 months now, down 23 pounds and counting. I've worked up to a routine following Jeff Galloway's training program that is 45 minutes M/W/F (10 min miles), and a long easy run on Sunday - longest distance so far was 9 miles last Sunday at about 11 min/mile. My problem - my right hamstring stays sore, no matter what stretching, etc that I do. I also have a black toenail on my right foot. I'm thinking that this might be due to a change in my stride due to treadmill running. At times my stride feels "normal", but many times I feel like I am shortening my stride or I run the risk of outrunning the treadmill. I'm still working hard on conditioning, so faster paces aren't really an option at this point. I have never had these issues running on the road (BTW, the weather is turning and I can't WAIT to get back outside). Has anyone else had similar problems? I'd really appreciate any insights or advice that you may have. Thanks in advance.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I know I run differently on the treadmill. (Of course that may have something to do with that gun being held to my head. Wink ) Here's a good article on hamstring strains: http://www.runnersrescue.com/Running_Hamstring_Strain_Injury.htm (How do you make links all nice and neat?) It says most hamstring injuries are from overextending your leg. I think that's pretty common on the treadmill, especially when you start to tire but the belt keeps going at the same speed so you lengthen your stride to keep up. Black toenails are usually shoe issues, aren't they? Or at least trauma to the toenail caused by something. Shoes too small? Socks too tight? Too much downhill? Toenails too long? Teresa
      Scout7

Yes, the black toenails are shoe sizing issues. I think it's when the toes are banging up against the front.....
        Jill_B

I fly.

Are you kicking the front of the treadmill? Do you hold on? Do you feel like you are running naturally? Is there a mirror there? Sometimes people do change the way they run when they run on treadmills and that could cause problems... Just a few things to think about. I haven't really had either of these issues with a treadmill and I run on one a lot.

Bring it on.

Thanks for the feedback - good thoughts and suggestions that I will definitely consider. I got out on the road today, ran 10K at 10:29 pace. Felt good, and I think I just may have to mix it up a bit with the treadmill when I have to rely on it for periods of time. Thanks again!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd advise running at a 1% grade on the treadmill. This is the recommended setting to account for the fact that there. is no wind resistance on a treadmill. And I think it'll help you keep from over-running the treadmill.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

I'd advise running at a 1% grade on the treadmill. This is the recommended setting to account for the fact that there. is no wind resistance on a treadmill.
                That is an old myth: http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html Of course, if you'd gone to Michigan State instead of Michigan, you probably would have figured that out on your own.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Of course, if you'd gone to Michigan State instead of Michigan, you probably would have figured that out on your own.
                    Well done. I wondered how long it would take for my name/avatar to attract the wrong kind of attention! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.