Strengthening "Stuff" (Read 875 times)

runmomto3boys

I am trying to do a lot more core and hip strengthening stuff since my race; primarily, planks and Myrtl exercises (+ yoga).  Do you guys have any other easyish exercises that you do (read: no weights) that I could incorporate into my weekly routine???  I'm just looking for a little variety...

fb-guy

Stand on a BOSU ball with one foot while you brush your teeth?

Eccentric stairlifts on each foot?

Squats?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Here are two of my favourite youtube-found core workouts:

Stronger the Workout: http://youtu.be/jDKr5Gh9jig

Core Workout for Runners by Jane Cullis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjgMgH7AvM&feature=share&list=PL5496ED4CC31F3B76

runmomto3boys

Thanks!  I appreciate the links - good stuff!

Have you looked at Jay Johnson's 8 week general strength progression?

http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2011/11/eight-week-general-strength-progression/ 

It builds on "basic" Myrtle and planks.

You might also like his lunge matrix warm-up: http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2010/04/lunge-matrix-as-warm-up/

The other very simple thing is to do crouching side steps (w/ a resistance band around your legs -- if you have one); it really targets your glutes and hip abductors.

ud32

Some good links - anyone have any opinion on how long to wait after a marathon to start incorporating leg strengthening exercises back into one's routine ?

runmomto3boys

Great!  I appreciate the info!!!

UD32: I think I only waited a couple of weeks, but I don't use weights and was just doing the Myrtl stuff to strengthen my hips.

SheCan

Danged girl, if you start doing all this you're definitely going to be one force to be reckoned with!  I can't wait to see where this takes you.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Danged girl, if you start doing all this you're definitely going to be one force to be reckoned with!  I can't wait to see where this takes you.

+1

In regards to your original questions, this is good too...Do Weak Hips Cause Pronation?

Buelligan

Do you guys have any other easyish exercises that you do (read: no weights) that I could incorporate into my weekly routine

You should consider weights.  The one exercise that has made the biggest positive improvement  in my running is the heavy squat.  I used to avoid them because my legs were getting so much exercise from running, but doing them after my runs actually pumps them up and really gives them a boost.   Heavy squats will work your core pretty good too, especially your back.

I do them at least twice a week, more when I can find the time.

Sir Diggby

Master of My Domain

Kegels, lotsa kegels...

You look so absurd, you look so obscene...

Snarl snarl.

Single leg deadlifts are good. Stand on one leg next to a box or step with the raised leg over the box. The raised leg should have the foot raised rearward. Slowly squat down on the standing leg until the raised leg's knee touches the box. Then stand back up. Repeat ten times on each leg.

This really works all of the stabilizing muscles in the legs, including the glutes, hip flexors, quads and hamstrings.

#artbydmcbride

burpees

Runners run

L Train

You should consider weights.  The one exercise that has made the biggest positive improvement  in my running is the heavy squat.  I used to avoid them because my legs were getting so much exercise from running, but doing them after my runs actually pumps them up and really gives them a boost.   Heavy squats will work your core pretty good too, especially your back.

I do them at least twice a week, more when I can find the time.

Can you elaborate on the improvements you've seen with squats?  What do you think your weakness was before, and how do you feel different now?

I'm really interested in this because I've always felt leg strength was one of my many weaknesses.  Lately, I've been doing some "step ups" and  raised leg squats while holding light weights, and I've already noticed that rather than fatiguing me, it seems to revive my legs.