I don't get chia seeds (Read 424 times)

xhristopher

Lunch pickings were slim this morning (need to go shopping) so I grabbed a plain Fage and a package of "Chia Shots" I got at some race as part of my lunch today. I just dumped the shots in the yogurt and ... what the hell?

I'll be picking them out of my teeth for the rest of the day.

They look like poppy seeds but taste like cardboard. They just made whole concoction worse. Yeah, I know it said "superfood" on the packaging but I think beer is pretty super too. Donuts too.

Has anyone figured out a better use for chia seeds?

Find a pottery animal, spread the seeds, keep it watered, and watch it grow!   Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!

I couldn't resist...

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

xhristopher

Find a pottery animal, spread the seeds, keep it watered, and watch it grow!   Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!

I couldn't resist...

That's just it. Why are people eating "art supplies?"

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I couldn't resist...

That was my answer too.

running metalhead

Hi mate,

Chia seefs are used as a stock food by Center-Americans. I have fto confess that I have no idea what they make with it.
            AFAIK the stuff that's in them is mostly the same as in flax seeds but flax seeds aren't digestible if you don't break them. Plus... flax seeds have a terrifying secondary effect: The make you cr*p straight down your pants.

Chia seeds doesn't have any special taste, neither good not bad. But you have to soak them in water for half an hour or so. And use a blender, the stuff looks totally like frogspawn.

These seeds are filled with Omega-3 fatty acids, no idea how much, but with flax seeds it's said that you need 3 teaspoons to cover all your daily needs. Anyway, avocados, olive oil, eggs(?) and other stuff is also filled with Omega-3 so that I wouldn't be able to say  if it makes sense supplementing.

Regarding beer, you are right. I need one right now.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Ostrich runner

My wife has been soaking them overnight in coconut milk to make a rice pudding-ish dish. I haven't tried it yet, but my 2 year old apparently loves it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

But you have to soak them in water for half an hour or so. 

why?

I've heard the Chia Mr T variety have an aftertaste,

But with the Chia Duck dynasty variety, sometimes you get bonus flavors mixed in there.  Bonus.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Jon the Freshman

Chia seeds can be very beneficial to a long distance athlete. The properties of chia allow it to be a versatile supplement. by adding them to yogurts, smoothies or baked goods your not only unlocking the ever coveted omega-3s but your also helping supply your body with gentle insoluble fiber. yes this makes you crap down your pants if consumed in high qualities, but when eaten in manageable amounts it offers some serious benefits. To begin with the chia seed is hydrophilic meaning it will retain water because it's attracted to it. this helps your body retain more of what you drank for a longer period rather than having excess fluids dumped out putting strain on other organs. Also when the chia seeds gel together (that's why you soak them) they will actually form somewhat of a barrier in your stomach which will slow the absorption of sugars. meaning you just gained a lower glycemic index by drinking pond scum...this will give you an even energy supply for a longer time. so really if you want better energy for longer without having to drink a whole lot go with the loveable chia pet. My favorite way is to bake them into chocolate banana nut muffins. Great for breakfast before a long run.

SheCan

I found they work best in wet foods.  I put them in salad dressings, oatmeal, and sauces.  I don't use a super lot of them, and really once they've set a few minutes, you don't notice them or get them in your teeth usually.  My first experience with them was much like yours, but I've learned better.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I found they work best in wet foods.  I put them in salad dressings, oatmeal, and sauces.  I don't use a super lot of them, and really once they've set a few minutes, you don't notice them or get them in your teeth usually.  My first experience with them was much like yours, but I've learned better.

I''ve swalled them dry by filling up a medicine cup, pouring them in my mouth, and chasing with a glass of water. They do a great job of killing the appetite for a while with very few calories and some pretty good nutrition.  The only downside is some get stuck in the teeth and look like bugs.

kcam

Confessing our chia seed intake, are we?  I put them in the hot water from my poached egg breakfast.  Add the chia seeds and some flax seed powder, stir for a little bit and then eat like soup.  One poached egg, some chia/flax seed soup - not a bad breakfast.  Once or twice a week I also add a couple teaspoons of oat bran.  Is it healthy?  I dunno but it ain't a lot of calories and I've been doing it for a long time with no adverse effects that I can identify.

Should they be soaked before you put them in yogurt or do you put them in as is?

No Talent Drips

Every morning, I fill my 32oz water bottle with water (mostly), raw cider vinegar, splash of lemon juice, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and a few tablespoons of chia. Nothing is measured...just thrown together in quantities i can manage.  I drink it over the course of the day...as Jon the Frosh mentioned, helps keep the glycemic thingamajigs low.

I attribute some of my 16lbs of stubborn weight loss (since January) to this.

On the other and, my nose and ear hair is growing profusely. Not helping things.

Dei Gratia

Should they be soaked before you put them in yogurt or do you put them in as is?

Seems to me they will get soaked in the stomach. :-)