The Winter Smackdown (Read 252 times)

I just grin and bear Winter, it was a bitch to do 10 miles today while it was 2 Fahrenheit today.  The same could be said for yesterday too. Although it felt worse out there today than yesterday.

Lots of great feedback here. Thanks, guys.

Bhearn, maybe it's just that injury just comes at the end of a long bout if training and racing.  I, for one, have never run a Spring marathon.

As Mikey said, I hope to use this time to get really strong and push my fitness forward for the Spring.

Happy and blessed new year, everyone!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I am gaining a new appreciation for the treadmill.

I wasn't sure when today's snow storm was going to start and today being Thursday I wanted to make sure I got some quality work in, so last night, well before the first flakes, I planned to run on the 'mill this morning. When I got up I found it was a good decision as the snow was already piling up outside--not a lot but it was cold enough that it was immediately piling up on the roads.

As I was driving to the gym, I passed a guy running the other way. He was slipping and sliding along, and for a second I felt kind of like a wimp for treadmilling it. But then I thought of what kind of run he was actually getting in, having been in his shoes a thousand times. It would have been a "just completing" run, not a real quality workout, and probably a lot less mileage than planned.

Instead I got to the gym, hopped on a 'mill and got in a really solid workout with no slipping, not rolling my ankle on chunks of ice buried under the snow, no dodging plow trucks, no soaking wet and cold feet.

Onward.

Runners run

TripleBock

I drink beer and get fat in winter ~ But this year, I did that from June - December, so now I have to move spring training into the Jan - Mar time slot.

this year

1)  After taking Jan 1st off ~ Try and do something every day:  Run, snowshoe, Cross Country Ski

2)  Add in other stuff that will help make my hips and knees strong:  Racquetball, volleyball, downhill skiing, ice skating

3)  Good time to get into weights, core + I add stuff like jump rope, 1 leg line jumps, stair jumps, wall sits, lunges

4)  Run outside when I can, but TM is fine

5)  TM hills at least 1 time a week

6)  De-fat

7)  Lay off sauce - see # 6

One of the nice features of the calendar function is that I can easy toggle through my log from one winter to the next and see how things went. My log for the winter seasons seems to read like a comedic tragedy replete with fits, starts and sighs.

How do you all handle the winter? Do you race outdoors less or the same? Do you run outdoors less or the same? Do take the winter off? Do you take extra measures to avoid injury?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Generally, I train all winter long so that I can pick off slackers at the Cupid's Chase in February

**Ask me about streaking**

I am gaining a new appreciation for the treadmill.

I wasn't sure when today's snow storm was going to start and today being Thursday I wanted to make sure I got some quality work in, so last night, well before the first flakes, I planned to run on the 'mill this morning. When I got up I found it was a good decision as the snow was already piling up outside--not a lot but it was cold enough that it was immediately piling up on the roads.

As I was driving to the gym, I passed a guy running the other way. He was slipping and sliding along, and for a second I felt kind of like a wimp for treadmilling it. But then I thought of what kind of run he was actually getting in, having been in his shoes a thousand times. It would have been a "just completing" run, not a real quality workout, and probably a lot less mileage than planned.

Instead I got to the gym, hopped on a 'mill and got in a really solid workout with no slipping, not rolling my ankle on chunks of ice buried under the snow, no dodging plow trucks, no soaking wet and cold feet.

Onward.

Not that my log shows it yet, but I have gained a new appreciation for hills.

Generally, I train all winter long so that I can pick off slackers at the Cupid's Chase in February

Might see you there.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Not that my log shows it yet, but I have gained a new appreciation for hills.

Heh, same here.  Chrismas week I spent in Nelson County, which is all "W"s.  Not a lick of flat road.  At first I really hated it.  But now I'm thinking of going back.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This Winter can pound sand.  In early Dec. I had abdominal surgery (to remove my right ovary and its tag-along kiwi-sized teratoma cyst).  On Dec. 9 my 12 year old nephew fell into a coma (resulting from a previously undetected brain stem tumor).  I made a trip to WI to be with my nephew and family and returned to MI on Dec. 13.  On Dec. 23 life support was removed.  DH, DS and I drove back to WI on Christmas Day.  My nephew's funeral was on 12/28.  We returned to MI on the 29th.  On the 30th DH and I were hit with a cold that made the rounds around my family…which progressed into my lungs and has been there ever since.  I've been on antibiotics for nearly 3 days for suspected walking pneumonia, but it's not having much of an effect on things.

Oh, and that polar vortex nonsense and snowfall that is approaching record amounts for an area that is already especially snowy (along the eastern side of Lake MI).

So, yeah, this Winter just fucking needs to get over itself, already.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TripleBock

PS - Winter used to be more precious than gold for training.  I had absolutely nothing going on and I could traing hard and consistent.  Now between our family taking up skiing and trying to go 20+ times a year (Weekends) and my kids both in sports and needing help with homework, winter is much tougher.  My goal is to try and be consistent and not hole up with a bottle all winter, but to earn that bottle every night with a good workout or 2 during the day.

TripleBock

I sure pray that it has to be all better from here - So things must be looking up and possitive momentum will build the rest of winter and into the spring.

I was just thinking after my lunch run - I am better today than yesterday, Better yesterday than last week and better last week than last month ... Hell things are looking up!

This Winter can pound sand.  In early Dec. I had abdominal surgery (to remove my right ovary and its tag-along kiwi-sized teratoma cyst).  On Dec. 9 my 12 year old nephew fell into a coma (resulting from a previously undetected brain stem tumor).  I made a trip to WI to be with my nephew and family and returned to MI on Dec. 13.  On Dec. 23 life support was removed.  DH, DS and I drove back to WI on Christmas Day.  My nephew's funeral was on 12/28.  We returned to MI on the 29th.  On the 30th DH and I were hit with a cold that made the rounds around my family…which progressed into my lungs and has been there ever since.  I've been on antibiotics for nearly 3 days for suspected walking pneumonia, but it's not having much of an effect on things.

Oh, and that polar vortex nonsense and snowfall that is approaching record amounts for an area that is already especially snowy (along the eastern side of Lake MI).

So, yeah, this Winter just fucking needs to get over itself, already.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I sure pray that it has to be all better from here - So things must be looking up and possitive momentum will build the rest of winter and into the spring.

That's what I'm clinging to!  I think I heard that we passed the midway point of Winter, too, so WOOT!!  Bring on Spring (early, if possible!)!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TripleBock

Day are getting longer

I remember our 1st year in Stevensville, MI ... 60+ inches of snow in December, No Snow my Valentines day and mowing lawn by mid-march (2000)

I was working myself to death back then and never enjoyed much of Michigan.  We lived a couple miles from here

https://www.google.com/search?q=grand+mere+state+park+michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-usBlushE-SearchBox&biw=1920&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eZvZUur7JOX8yQGhShyBY&ved=0CDYQsAQ

Also drove the 6 miles to here sometimes

https://www.google.com/search?q=grand+mere+state+park+michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-usBlushE-SearchBox&biw=1920&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eZvZUur7JOX8yQGhShyBY&ved=0CDYQsAQ#q=Silver+beach+Michigan&rls=com.microsoft:en-usBlushE-SearchBox&spell=1&tbm=isch

But I worked 60 - 100 hour weeks and when you get > 80 there is not time for fun ... So I did not see much of the rest of the state in the 3 years we lived there.

That's what I'm clinging to!  I think I heard that we passed the midway point of Winter, too, so WOOT!!  Bring on Spring (early, if possible!)!!

I am sorry your loss, Zoomy and everything you went through.  Hoping for happier days for you.  Hang tough.

TripleBock

Any lost loved one is tough, but 12, oh my.  My girls are 8,13 ... I cannot imagine.

Just keeping focussing on possitive things - The sun will shine on your face again soon!