I've Lost That Loving Feeling...? (Read 1577 times)

I think a lot of us are eagerly awaiting your report.  I kind of hope you and several of us are wrong, and you have a great race and realize you love marathons.  OTOH, if it's your farewell marathon, it's also a good thing, because you'll have a much better idea where you want to focus in the future.  In any case, best of luck!

+1

In a way, I hope you (I mean, April) not to go through this marathon, thinking "this is my good-bye marathon..." but come back and "do it right" next time so you'll enjoy it and keep on running.

It is unfortunate, it seems, that you had come across a wrong approach to marathon training from the get-go.  I happen to be one who believes that, if you can run 13-miles in training, you can go the distance of 26-miles.  Far too many suffer from endless slog in training, week in week out and beat up their body and, run a marathon or two, and pack it up.  Running is a lot more than that.  

This woman e-mailed me a few years ago and I helped her husband through her.  He had run 4 marathons prior to with a PR of 5:30.  I altered their training--in fact, I altered it quite a bit--and the first time he actually e-mailed me the week of their marathon.  He said that it was the first time he'd come this far (the week of the marathon) without aches and pains in his legs, beginning of injuries, etc.  He went out and ran the marathon, with his wife, in 4:50.  She sent me a picture of their finish, with a big smile on their face.  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

xxxxxxxx

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

vegefrog

Well, I just have to say, that I'm very impressed with your 10:25 pace for 18 miles based on your weekly mileage. Most people could not just go out and run 18 miles on that weekly mileage. So you definitely have natural running ability and whether or not you decide to run this full, you shouldn't give up on running Smile

I like your plan of doing this one just for fun, then focusing on some shorter distances. I bet you will have fun seeing your times drop off in the shorter races as you add miles to your training Smile Once you see those times start to drop...you may find the motivation to run another full with a goal time in mind and a renewed love for the sport.

You've gotten good advice here from the pro's as always!

So, did you do it?

Probably most people have had similar experiences.  It's totally understandable, given all the life circumstances that have changed for you in the past year.  I agreed with others who have said, why not just go to Portland and give yourself the option of not running the race?  Make a trip out of it and see how you feel that day.  

I recently met my goal of a PR for a 1/2 in 2012, completely unexpectedly.  I was visiting family out of state and signed up for a race as a kind of warm up/test for the one I planned to go for a PR on.  It was a cool morning, I had rested a lot (aka been lazy), it was a cool morning and it just happened.  We can't understand the mind and easily get lost in the stuff of life.... but that serendipitous PR felt even better than if I had planned to do it.  More than anything, what I felt during the race is that I was relaxed and didn't care about my time, and wasn't trying to PR.  I just enjoyed the run. 

Maybe you even had a similar experience yesterday?

Alright all: The race report!!! YES I ran it. YES I finished. NO it was not any more difficult than my two previous fulls. NO I did not injure myself!* AND I set a PR! Holy vow! Not by much, but by a little more than a minute and a half. My final time was 4:48:16. That included a few walking breaks (never for more than 1-3 minutes and only on a mean uphill) and also taking it easy (slowing to a jaunt) through all the water stations. I also pulled aside and stretched around miles 13 and 18. All in all, my approach was to find where I was comfortable and in rhythm and stay there as long as possible. To listen to my body and stop if I felt I needed to, stretch when I felt tight. It apparently worked! The hill approaching the St. John's bridge was WAY meaner than I expected - it was a gradual incline for a good 3+ miles. I would rather run up a steep grade for less distance. It did a number on my pace and overall endurance. Youch!!! And they say it's a flat course...! I was relaxed and free of worry on the run. To be honest, it was around mile 14 (the same place I zonked out on that ill-fated long run which spurred my OP) where I was like, dammit. I'm only halfway! It wasn't even the physicality of it that bothered me (although I'd certainly say otherwise after mile 22 or so!) I was just plain BORED. The exact sensation I had on that long run, that prompted me to feel like, "I just don't feel like doing this anymore". In fact, more than once, I spurred myself a little faster, thinking: "the faster I go, the faster this will be over!". So I enjoy my running, I do. But after all is says and done, and I've gone through this, I think I've just lost focus and patience for the distance. I know I'm going to be MUCH happier running 13.1 and under for the next few years! Thanks again to you all for your advice and support! Let me know if you have any prodding Q's, I'd be happy to answer. I'll be posting my watch data up tomorrow for anyone interested. (Now I'm just flattering myself!) *I asterisk this b/c I don't want to jinx myself! I'm still recovering, Advil and stretching twice a day. I am nursing a smidge of inflammation on the bottom of my left foot, but otherwise, I'm feeling better physically than after either of my first two fulls! Best of all - my old injury (AT) seems to be absolutely not affected whatsoever! -April Smile

2012: Just run.

Glad it went well, and congrats on the PR!
              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is awesome to hear, April!  Congratulations on overcoming your doubts, on doing it, on finishing, on setting a PR, and on knowing how you want to approach your future running*!

*Although I thought I swore off marathons right after my last one.  Now it's, okay, just one more. Smile

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations!  Smile

Runners run

RunningFriend12

spam