Medial meniscus repair surgery? (Read 422 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

I either need Torn medial meniscus repair surgery. I get my MRI next week to confirm that it’s the meniscus and not just a MCL Tear. This is my good knee. The MCL tear sounds like the better option rest and just bear the pain.The Bad knee has had 6 operations and I have already had the cartilage removed in it I am told If it is the meniscus I will be on the bench for 2 weeks then with aggressive Pt I can resume running and still be able to do Boston this yr. Will only have 70 days to train but. Any one have any experience with this? My experience with knee surgery’s is from a different place in my life and I was not as active as I am now.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

sunilmedapati

Knee injuries—such as fractures, dislocations, sprains and ligament tears—are some of the most common injuries among athletes and non-athletes alike. The knee joint is the largest and most complex joint in the body, and it bears more weight than most other joints—all factors which make it more prone to injury.

ACL injuries

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), one of the four primary ligaments in the knee, crosses the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in the center of the knee. The ACL connects the front of the shinbone to the back of the thighbone and is responsible for preventing the shinbone from sliding forward.

Damage to the ACL, such as a sprain or a tear, is the most common knee injury. Although the ACL can be injured by a direct blow to the knee, most ACL injuries are actually non-contact injuries. Instead, they are often the result of a sudden change in direction or hyper-extension when landing from a jump. ACL tears are common in athletes who play agility sports, such as football, soccer, volleyball, skiing, lacrosse and basketball.

ACL injuries typically require surgical repair through the construction of a new ligament of tissue harvested from one of the tendons around the knee. The rehabilitation period from an ACL injury can vary from six weeks to six months, depending on the severity of the injury.

MCL injuries

The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is another of the four primary ligaments in the knee. This ligament runs down the inner part of the knee, from the thighbone to the shinbone. The primary function of the MCL is to prevent an inward over-extension of the knee. The MCL also serves to stabilize the knee and allow it to rotate.

An injury to the MCL most commonly occurs as a result of a direct blow to the outside of the knee that results in a stretch or tear of the MCL and possibly the ACL or other ligaments. Pain or tenderness on the inner side of the knee, stiffness and/or swelling in the knee may be a sign of an MCL tear or strain. The knee may also feel unstable or “lock” or “catch.”

It takes about six weeks for an MCL injury to heal. As the MCL heals, it should be immobilized to keep it stable. Rest, ice, elevation and pain relievers can help reduce pain and swelling due to an MCL injury. A lightweight cast or brace may also be used to restrict movement while the MCL heals. In most cases, the MCL responds well to non-surgical treatment, although in rare cases, surgery may be required.

Recovery from an MCL injury depends on the severity of the injury, but can take anywhere from a few days to a few months.

Meniscus injuries

The meniscus is articular cartilage in the knee joint that acts as a shock absorber for the knee. Injuries to the meniscus can be the result of either traumatic injury, such as a direct blow to the knee, or from degeneration (wear and tear). Degeneration causes a progressive loss of the cartilage tissue, eventually leaving the underlying bone with no protection, which can lead to osteoarthritis in the bone.

Vague pain and swelling in the knee, as well as stiffness and decreased range of motion typically accompany a meniscus injury. In some cases, the individual may experience “locking” or “catching” in the knee.

Injury to the articular cartilage in the knee may be treated through arthroscopic surgery. For more progressive or serious injuries, transplant of cartilage from another area of the knee may be required. In cases where the articular cartilage has completely disintegrated, a total knee replacement may be necessary. Pain and range of motion issues related to a meniscus injury can often be treated with physical therapy, supportive devices or oral/injection drugs, such as an anti-inflammatory.

In addition to torn cartilage, tendons or ligaments in the knee, fractures and dislocations are also common knee injuries. Injuries to the soft tissue in the knee may be prevented through exercises focusing on proper nerve and muscle control of the knee, such as plyometrics, balance and strengthening/stability exercises.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice of Dr. Amrajani to provide so much information on this six-year-old injury. I'm sure the links to his website were provided out of the goodness of his heart as well.

C-R

Here is my personal experience. Torn meniscus in Feb '16 training for Boston. Finally properly identified in late March via MRI (I wasn't aggressive enough in pushing my Dr. for an MRI and frankly had some denial). Surgery in mid April. Back walking within a few days. My ortho gave some specific instructions to lay off running or long walking for 4 weeks during rehab. Did rehab - didn't give it a full go - started back too long and too fast of a pace = tendonitis. Fought that for several months. Finally got a clue and accepted that I'm not 25 anymore so added cross training and proper rehab. Back at it slowly with no major issues late November. Been running steady but slowly since then.

So reading what your schedule looks like its aggressive. You've had knee surgeries before so you know that drill. For me and what I know know, even if I would have done things differently doing a marathon with 70 days of surgery would still be a no go. Sorry to such a Johnny Raincloud. Just my thoughts based on my deal. Perhaps yours is different and faster.

Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

sunilmedapati

Nice of Dr. Amrajani to provide so much information on this six-year-old injury. I'm sure the links to his website were provided out of the goodness of his heart as well.

Thank you sir for your kind word. If you are facing any issue with your injury , please do let us know. We would definitely love to help you out with you and guide you.