What's the worst wind you've ever run in? (Read 893 times)

I did a 5 miler at lunch with 35 mph sustained and 50-55 mph gusts out of the South. About 30% of my route was into the wind. It was crazy hard to run that direction. It prevents you from building up any momentum, so it really works your legs out.
      That's about what I'm looking at for tonight's run. I'm not looking forward to it.
        Dude, I want to know what the worst fog you've ever run in?

Vim

I had a six mile run last month in 30mph winds which wouldn't have been too bad except the temperature was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. Tom

phzzzzzzzzzzz

... my own.
            Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

The Cap City (Columbus) Half Marathon (my first) - April 2005. Sleet and 33 degrees, with a sustained headwind for 6 miles up High Street and 30-40mph gusts. I spent an hour in the med tent, warming up my frostbitten fingers. During long runs on the Olentangy bike trail, we still tell stories about that one...

Jeanne

In college, we ran to the park to do 1200 meter repeats on the grass towards the end of cross country season, I think this was my freshman year but might have been sophomore year. Towards the end of the workout, it started to rain. Right after the work, it started to rain hard. A few of the guys tried to convince the coach to give us a ride back but he wouldn't have any of it and told us to stop being Nancies. So as we go back, the trail we took was flooded. One of the guys said, "Well, it's not like we can get any wetter" and tramped right through it. He was wrong. Once off of the trail, we got onto a pretty busy road. It's a normal town road, but it has 5 lanes, and is lined with tall trees on both sides. It's less than a mile from the trail head to the campus, and would usually take us maybe 5 or 6 minutes to run. There was a very stiff headwind, no idea what speeds, but we worked harder on that stretch than we did during the workout and it took us 25 minutes to get to the entrance to the campus. I was the first one to brave a shower, and that was a good 50 or 60 minutes after getting back into the locker room. It was pretty painful, but at least I'd had briefs, running shorts, and pants or tights on with a shirt tucked in that day. Most of the guys only had 1 or 2 layers of protection from the wind. That's probably the worst wind I've run in since I was soaked as well. In terms of strength, I've done some lake running where gusts have literally pushed me backwards on the ice as I ran into it, and have been lifted up momentarily in stride.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

We tend to get these really crazy winds in the winter called Chinooks. They are a warm wind that blows down out of the mountains, often reaching speeds of 100mph. I've run on days where the gusts have hit about 70mph with about 40-50mph sustained. It's nearly impossible to run, much less stand :-)
                    In yesterday's nice little flood we supposedly had gusts over 100 mph. But I did not run in it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

kcam

San Francisco 1/2 in 2000 or 2001. I remember there's a stretch at about mile 8 or so that takes you down the Great Highway (right along the ocean) for ~ 2 miles. Those 2 miles had some of the stiffest headwinds I've ever run in (maybe 20 or 25mph) but the wind wasn't what I remember hating most. It was raining and for that 2 mile stretch the rain turned into a mix of rain and hail - the wind was blowing it right into my face. Felt like I was drowning because I was trying to run it fast (well, fast for me!).
                        Today's run had a gust of 52.2mph w/ sustained winds around 35-40. Ahh... spring in the Rocky Mountains. Smile
                          I've had a bunch of windy runs but the two that stick out the most were a recent run were a very large tree was toppled about 50 meters away and I had great difficulty holding on to my toboggan (that's a stocking cap for any non Viginians). It felt like aqua jogging. The other experience was the Las Vegas Half in 2003. I think I was the only one that had a great race that day. I ran 59:24 for the first 10 miles into a strong head that featured gust of 55 mph. When we finally turned out of the wind, naturally I felt great and ran the last 5k in 17:29 for a 1:16 finish in my only half.
                          goat

Finder of good newts

The other experience was the Las Vegas Half in 2003. I think I was the only one that had a great race that day. I ran 59:24 for the first 10 miles into a strong head that featured gust of 55 mph. When we finally turned out of the wind, naturally I felt great and ran the last 5k in 17:29 for a 1:16 finish in my only half.
                            Vegas in 2003 is exactly the one I was thinking of... I had a great time too despite the headwind - great time for me anyway at 1:40 - I think the cold wind made my legs numb so I just kept plowing along. I don't think I've ever been so sore as after that race.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up

30+ mph winds yesterday. There were 2-3 downed trees in the park I usually run in.
                                well, this one time in and band camp, someone broke serious wind and ... oh wait, wrong type of wind

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn