Body Fat % (Read 770 times)

You've got the weight field. How about body fat %? My weight is remaining steady but I'm dropping body fat and gaining lean muscle. Would love to be able to chart this progress.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

This came up earlier, here: http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=52058cffd7c84120844433e3d52ce917 There is interest. Personally I don't have one of those nifty scales so I wouldn't be using it. Perhaps this could squeeze in with the uber-customization you've been thinking about?

Roads were made for journeys...

Don't spend your money on those scales, they are not very accurate. I was looking into getting one until I read about them. Your level of hydration and other things such as skeletal mass, etc, has more effect on the results than body fat. It's better investing in a set of body fat calipers. For example: http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/. They are much cheaper and more accurate. It's the kind of device fitness trainers use. The only more accurate method is dunking you in a tank of water to see how much water you displace.
        va

I have a weighing scale that also does %body fat (and %water). I don't know how accurate it is, but I found it is a lot easier to use than the calipers. I have the calipers shown in the link RunB provided and found it difficult to get a consistent measurement. The reading seem highly dependent on location and on how the skin was grabbed. It could be I just need some more practice. I asked my wife to assist once, but this didn't go too well (honey, pinch this blubber on my belly, so I can get a consistent reading with these calipers Blush).
            I get pretty consistent results with the calipers. I actually wish they were a little less consistent and trending downwards Wink I take the measurement three to four times and take the average. Usually, I they are all the same except for one which I ignore. Regarding being able to log body fat percentage, I think the log is starting to have quite a lot of data to log. I wonder if we could have "custom" data logged. Just like the run types you could add values you wish to log in your log options. For example, if you want to track the amount of hair you have on your head, just add an entry called "hair amount", et voilĂ . Sounds simple, but it's probably complicated to implement in the log.
            eric :)

Janell: thanks for finding that thread. I'm reluctant to add that field because it doesn't get used often. The issue is if I add body fat percent, then I'll have to add something else. Before long, the log entry page will be completely cluttered (I find it somewhat cluttered already). I did talk about having a customizable page. Maybe I can add it then. eric Smile