It's like Christmas in...June...? (Read 1123 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I had a package from UPS at the door that I figured was the Father's Day gift I ordered for did that has taken forever to get here. Nope...return addy is NB R&D--woot, I gots me another wear test, baby! Big grin And the coolest part is it's a shoe I was planning to try in the future, anyhow...now I get to try it for free, so if I don't like it it's no loss. I send it back to NB the end of next month, anyhow. The shoe is the new "midfoot strike" model that they've been working on (800MF). Butt ugly, but kind of an intriguing idea. For some strange reason they sent me the 8B. Normally I wear an 8D. Were I to buy this shoe I'd go with a 7.5D. The fit is kind of similar to the 903 lightweight stability trainer...long and roomy. I haven't run in the shoe, yet (plan to throw them on for a 5 miler on Thurs.), but the initial feel on my foot is very soft--though I'm not sure it's going to be flexible enough for me to love. Time will tell. Here is what the women's looks like: The men's is the same, only with orange trim, instead of pink.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I thought this was gonna be about a sale in Frankenmuth. Cool shoes. How long do you get to test 'em?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought this was gonna be about a sale in Frankenmuth. Cool shoes. How long do you get to test 'em?
        Ha, I have never been to Frankenmuth--though the beer is good. Big grin I get them through July, 30, then I ship 'em back. Just long enough to know whether it would be a shoe I'd even want to drop money on. I think I heard that they are going to be at least $100. Probably close to the 1223 in price, I'd think, so not a cheap shoe by any means.

~ Sarah Kay

Look a lot like the Brooks Dyad.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Look a lot like the Brooks Dyad.
            They do look a lot alike, though I think the Dyad still has some mild stability features. I don't think that shoe comes in wides, otherwise it's probably one I would consider. I seem to recall reading that the 800MF will have more midfoot and forefoot cushioning...that sounds like the Dyad.

~ Sarah Kay

I had forgotten that I signed up for this wear test program a long time ago. I never heard anything back though...they must get flooded with applicants. Did you ever hear anything from them? Or did random stuff just start showing up in the mail?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Random stuff just shows up. So far this is my second test. My first was back in March (I think) for the 805--kind of a speedwork shoe. I thought they were supposed to notify me by e-mail, but I have never received one.

~ Sarah Kay

Random stuff just shows up. So far this is my second test. My first was back in March (I think) for the 805--kind of a speedwork shoe. I thought they were supposed to notify me by e-mail, but I have never received one.
                  So, what did you think of the 805 Kirsten? I just got an email ad from NB about it a day or two ago. Is it neutral or does it have some stability? I tend to like NB and thought it might work for a short run shoe for me, but couldn't see anywhere if it was even neutral or not.
                  Brandon
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Totally neutral--no post. Not a lot of cushion, but good traction. I did most of my wear-testing on snow and ice and it was, by far, the best traction of any running shoe I've ever worn (aside from the 921 with spikes). AWESOME fit, too. Kind of similar to the glove-like fit of the 805 or 826. Definitely would be nice for short speedwork/drills on grass or sand/dirt. Probably not a shoe I would wear much for training at this stage in the game, but I am SO tempted to pick up a pair for everyday wear. If I didn't have so many old retired shoes laying around for casual wear I would. I loved the color scheme of the women's model I tested--black with iridescent charcoal and hot pink and silver metallic. Really a flashy shoe that would be fun with jeans.

~ Sarah Kay

Hey ZOOM How does someone like me get in on the running shoe testing gig????

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here is NB's program. I've looked at testing for other companies, too, but haven't found any others that have links on their sites, or they aren't looking for testers at the moment. No biggie, NB shoes are, thus far, the only ones that fit my stupid feet, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I live near Nike hq and know people who test for them, but you have to wear a specific size. In this case this is for testing shoes pre-release, sometimes still in the development stage and they only have a couple sizes they mfg at the R&D facility. Nike's dont fit me anyway.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting shoe...definitely too long for me. NB seems to be doing weird things with their sizing. I used to wear an 8D in nearly every shoe, but with my 903s I had to go down to a 7.5D and they are probably still a bit wider than my 902s were (which isn't bad...I have duck feet). These 800MFs feel similar in terms of sizing. The 8B should be right in length and too narrow, but instead the width is pretty good, but they are too long...enough where I don't think I'd want to go more than 6 miles or so in them. First 5 mile run was pretty comfortable, though. Soft, lightweight cushion, like the 903 and 826. Better arch contour than any previous NB shoes I have tried (I usually use Sof Sole Athlete or Arch insoles in my NB shoes, I don't think I'd need to with these), decent flexibility (though not as flexible as the 903 and 826). I think it would be definitely hard to be a heavy heel-striker with this shoe, too. The heel is noticeably less beefy and there is a lot less difference in midsole thickness from forefoot relative to heel. Unless I come to dislike the shoe by the end of the wear test in late July I will probably pick up a pair in the 7.5D.

~ Sarah Kay

Digging up this long-dead thread to hear what your final impression was. What did you think? I'm in my second pair of 1062s. For the last few weeks I was thinking how much I love them, but then today (at ~95 miles on them), I started feeling a soreness in the ball of my right foot again. It happened for a while in the other pair too, but then the N-lock failed and I got a brand new pair. I have no idea if it's me or the shoes, yet. Although I know I clearly heel-strike when I'm really going all out, I think for slower paces, I tend to strike more forward of the heel, and I wondered if a mid-foot strike shoe might have more forefoot cushioning, given my run today and my rememberance of those previous runs with my big toe feeling like it was getting pounded.
                              Brandon
                                Ohh, I too am celebrating X-Mas in, well August, but anywho. It's all thanks to you Zoomy. I signed up for the NB weartest and my first pair arrived last week! They're the NB 904 lightweight trainer. Hot orange, very comfy so far. I feel special Smile