Rapidly increasing mileage and pace (biking) (Read 2545 times)

I bike around 20 mph on the roads...that's about my average which is a challenging workout. 

A challenging workout? I know nothing about road biking, but from the few tri results of my friends I see, most people call 20mph "racing".

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

A challenging workout? I know nothing about road biking, but from the few tri results of my friends I see, most people call 20mph "racing".

An average pace of 20mph is pretty good over any decent distance. But many people set their computers to stop when the bike stops (e.g. at junctions, lights etc.), so figures quoted by the computer are not really an average speed in the usual way if this is so.

It also depends on whether you're alone or riding with others. Air resistance is a much bigger deal for cycling than it is for running (air resistance goes with the square of speed) so the ability to draft is much more valuable.

xhristopher

Riding 20 mph in a group is about as easy as 17-18 alone, just more fun.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here in the midwest, we have a very long winter and our cycling is limited to indoor.

Unless you have a CX bike with studded tires.  I'm hoping to log at least a few miles each week outdoors, as long as the snow isn't crazy deep or glare ice or bitterly cold.  The long-term forecast for this Winter isn't looking all that conducive, though (again...seriously, didn't we just get clobbered 2 of the past 3 Winters?!).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

There was this one time I rode on xchris' back wheel for 18 miles at 21mph. All my rides by myself are 18+ and races are 20+

Slo

Here in the midwest, we have a very long winter and our cycling is limited to indoor.

Says Who!?!

Here's a link to nice Metric Century ride:

http://cirrem.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

There was this one time I rode on xchris' back wheel for 18 miles at 21mph. All my rides by myself are 18+ and races are 20+

I think that might have been the hottest day of the year (95+). We had to go faster so we didn't overheat.

An average pace of 20mph is pretty good over any decent distance. But many people set their computers to stop when the bike stops (e.g. at junctions, lights etc.), so figures quoted by the computer are not really an average speed in the usual way if this is so.

Is that how people get the numbers they get... huh.  Never changed that setting on my 305..

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

To the extent it's possible to get off-topic at this late date ...

I've been riding more than running for about the past eight months (God, that's a depressing thought) as I rehabbed an Achilles injury and then a stupid ankle sprain.  I'm FINALLY healed and gradually refocusing from cycling to running over the next few weeks.  And I'm doing a 5k at the end of the month.

Any thoughts on how "mostly-cycling-fitness" translates when it comes to running hard?  I've done essentially no cycling workouts, but the terrain here is sufficiently rolling that I've gotten my HR up a few times every ride (typically 2-3 rides/week).  FWIW, my pace on easy runs is about the same as it was eight months ago, at about the same HR and perceived effort.  Just wondering where I am now compared to my February 2011 fitness ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

To the extent it's possible to get off-topic at this late date ...

I've been riding more than running for about the past eight months (God, that's a depressing thought) as I rehabbed an Achilles injury and then a stupid ankle sprain.  I'm FINALLY healed and gradually refocusing from cycling to running over the next few weeks.  And I'm doing a 5k at the end of the month.

Any thoughts on how "mostly-cycling-fitness" translates when it comes to running hard?  I've done essentially no cycling workouts, but the terrain here is sufficiently rolling that I've gotten my HR up a few times every ride (typically 2-3 rides/week).  FWIW, my pace on easy runs is about the same as it was eight months ago, at about the same HR and perceived effort.  Just wondering where I am now compared to my February 2011 fitness ...

I'm running my own little experiment of one on this same topic right now. After 4.5 months my easy run pace is surprisingly easy. Prior to getting hit by the car the goal was to do the same volume and intensities on the bike as I would have running. Since then, after a month off from everything, I'm just happy to get out and am battling a few extra lbs as well.

I've got a feeling if I were to run a 5K right now I wouldn't touch this spring's PR by 2 and a half minutes. If all goes well I'll test that next month for ya.

xhristopher

I've got a feeling if I were to run a 5K right now I wouldn't touch this spring's PR by 2 and a half minutes. If all goes well I'll test that next month for ya.

Yup. Two and a half minutes. All things considered, it's not so bad. Apparently the bike is worth something considering I've run less than ten miles a month for the last 5 and put on a couple pounds. 

Clive, how you doing? 

Contrary to your experiment, I just ran a 5k 39 seconds slower than my PR.  Admittedly, too, the PR was on an easier course.

I'm ecstatic to report that I never once thought about my Achilles (left leg) or the sprained ankle (right leg).  I hope that means they're healed.  Training time!!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

Contrary to your experiment

Good going Clive. That doesn't seem like much of a setback at all. You make me look as if I've been sitting on the couch! Contrary to you, I'm still undiagnosed, not without injury, and tip-toeing around running. I know exactly what I would need to do to knock 75 seconds off by the end of the year. Problem is that I can't do it w/o problems. At least I have a number to improve upon now.

Well, you've got a little further to travel to get back to where you were.  I didn't get hit by a car.

-- Dick LeBeau